Options

Adding wireless network interface to VMWare Workstation

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Question- How would I add a wireless usb adapter as a second network interface to a vm. I know this is probably simple I've just never done it before.
It's for labbing for my 70-642 connecting to networks chapter.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Do USB passthrough to the VM and install the USB WiFi drivers there.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Question- How would I add a wireless usb adapter as a second network interface to a vm. I know this is probably simple I've just never done it before.
    It's for labbing for my 70-642 connecting to networks chapter.
    If you don't need it to show up as a wireless adapter in the VM, you can just install it on the host and create a new network using the network editor that uses it. Also you don't necessarily even need to add a physical NIC to the server, you can add multiple NICs to a VM that are connected to the same network.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got it to work fine, just had the VM powered on and connected the wireless usb, installed the drivers then changed the original nic of the vm to my intranet. It's working..lol
    Got one VM with 2 nics one to internet one to intranet, another vm with a wireless and a nic conected to the intranet. Easier than I thought it would be.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.