I think i was mislead

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was talking to an IT guy that worked at iti technical while trying to an intern since my school is out for the summer, we talked for a while so i told him i wanted to be a network administrator and he said that the only certs that i really needed was the msce and ccna..how true is that? i know the A+ is pretty much the gold standard for starting out but i didnt think i can skip all the others and go straight to the msce and ccna

Comments

  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chevy454 wrote: »
    I was talking to an IT guy that worked at iti technical while trying to an intern since my school is out for the summer, we talked for a while so i told him i wanted to be a network administrator and he said that the only certs that i really needed was the msce and ccna..how true is that? i know the A+ is pretty much the gold standard for starting out but i didnt think i can skip all the others and go straight to the msce and ccna

    Sigh....



    I did that not because of you but because of this whole situation. How much IT experience do you have? Look to start off some people have done the A+/N+/S+ router (I did) and some people start off with vendor certs. Choose a path and run with it. Also those paths are not mutually exclusive. I did the A+, N+, CCNA and CCNA:Security and now I am looking to complete the security plus next month. The point I am making is do what ever certs are being advertised for in your next of the woods. I suggest you get the Security+ regardless but other than that, you can skip A+/N+ and it won't kill you. I wish I had done my CCNA and CCNA:Security a few years ago. I would probably be a CCNP and CCSP right now.

    I digress. As far as the MCSE, you may want to look at the new start the new MCITP stuff Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) .
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good idea to intern/coop/workstudy in related field while going to school. +1 for that
    I think the guy was trying to sell you something,actually.
    You can skip the CompTIA's if you possess the knowledge they require and skip ahead to the others.
    For a network administrato you would want either MCSE or MCITP:EA and maybe the CCNA as it would help you. I'm studying for my MCITP:EA right now and I've been seeing so much stuff I had already seen while studying for my Net+ and Sec+ it's not even funny. It's making the material sink in so much better since I can just study the technology as I already know the theory.
    You will also want to at least have some Linux knowledge.
    If you're going for a bachelors right now you will probably be set coming out of college if you get some experience while there. Get the MCSE or MCITP if time permits. The knowledge gained is the answer, a lot of people have advanced certs and no CompTIA certs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Sigh....



    I did that not because of you but because of this whole situation. How much IT experience do you have? Look to start off some people have done the A+/N+/S+ router (I did) and some people start off with vendor certs. Choose a path and run with it. Also those paths are not mutually exclusive. I did the A+, N+, CCNA and CCNA:Security and now I am looking to complete the security plus next month. The point I am making is do what ever certs are being advertised for in your next of the woods. I suggest you get the Security+ regardless but other than that, you can skip A+/N+ and it won't kill you. I wish I had done my CCNA and CCNA:Security a few years ago. I would probably be a CCNP and CCSP right now.

    I digress. As far as the MCSE, you may want to look at the new start the new MCITP stuff Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) .
    i been messing around with computers for about two years i dont know everything but i know a little more than half of the basics
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chevy454 wrote: »
    i been messing around with computers for about two years i dont know everything but i know a little more than half of the basics

    I thought the same thing as you and I had been doing stuff for about 10 years and I tell you what... when I stepped into the classroom of the IT academy I'm in now I learned more in the first two weeks than I had previously known for the past 10 years.

    You'd be shocked how much you don't know when you actually get the information spoon fed to you everyday. Now with that said... I'm in a class with folks who are studying to eventually gain MCITP on 2008, plus all the pre-cursors to that plus everything you need to just become a DST for XP/7, so we're covering more than just the basics... but even the basics for just XP is actually pretty mind boggling when you actually get down to the nitty gritty.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • alan2308alan2308 CISSP, MCSA 2008, MCSA 2012, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security Ann Arbor, MIMember Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I thought the same thing as you and I had been doing stuff for about 10 years and I tell you what... when I stepped into the classroom of the IT academy I'm in now I learned more in the first two weeks than I had previously known for the past 10 years.

    You'd be shocked how much you don't know when you actually get the information spoon fed to you everyday. Now with that said... I'm in a class with folks who are studying to eventually gain MCITP on 2008, plus all the pre-cursors to that plus everything you need to just become a DST for XP/7, so we're covering more than just the basics... but even the basics for just XP is actually pretty mind boggling when you actually get down to the nitty gritty.

    I know what you mean. I've been a computer enthusiast my entire life (I'm 33) and I think the most important thing that I've learned so far since going back to school is just how little I actually know. About everything.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Someone suggested that you can skip a+ and net+, but I have to disagree. I spent 8 years in the filed working on laptops, pc's, server, switches...yadada for all the manufacturers. I know that Comptia isn't on everyone's "friend" list, but it is the foundation and everyone needs that. If someone is new to IT, then I think it is paramount to get those.

    The company I worked for at the time, due to contractual agreements with the vendors, REQUIRED at least A+. Like most of us, you have to put in your time. If someone goes to do a typcial Net Admin position, it is usually going to emcompass more that working within the OS arena. You have to be a jack of all trades and if you don't know the basics then you won't last long or you will even look incompetent in from of your users....amazing how crafty they can be at times.

    For a good Net Admin, you would want the MCSE/MCITP/MCSA/Cisco certs, but you won't be much if you can't take something apart or know how things REALLY work together, hardware and software wise.

    Just my 2 cents, I spent my time in the field and also a Net Admin, so I think having both sides of the fence, it has helped me tremendously. I would hate for you to work that hard and then have to take a lower position due to your own expectations. It also depends on what job you take and the people interviewing you. Either way, good luck and keep us posted.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

    Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

    WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

    Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

    After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.