Options

Exchange 2003 Newbie seeking help

sschmidlapsschmidlap Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am hoping the trouble I have run into is very basic. I am working out of the MS Press book for 70-284 Exchange 2003. My environment is a single Active Directory domain with two sites. I have one admin group and two routing groups but I am only using one routing group right now. Not ready to mess with connectors yet. I have 1 front end and 1 back end exchange server in the St Louis routing group. I can create a user and set up an email box. I log into a workstation and set up the Outlook profile and that works fine. I then send a test email to myself. It will send but never comes back. It looks like the message is stuck in a queue. The back end sever is called stlexch-vs01. It's a virtual server running on a cluster. Anyway, the protocols enabled on stlexch-vs01 are HTTP and SMTP only. I am wondering, do I need to enable the POP3 protocol in order to receive? The only reason I would need the HTTP protocol is for web access, correct? I don't care about web access right now, I just want to get basic sending and receving working within the local domain environment. Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments