Why?

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Maybe I missed it but...


SVI = vlan interface

BVI - bridged group interface

But oh no, an etherchannel's port interface is called.....port interface!!

Why not PVI?

Right right? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    It's all semantics, don't sweat it.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Cyanic wrote: »
    It's all semantics, don't sweat it.


    lol yes I know, but my OCD kinda kicks in. Why wouldn't they want to refer it to as PVI? I don't think there's a PVI at all is there?

  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Man, there are so many inconsistencies with Cisco, and others as well. I think it is done to keep us tech types on our feet and non-tech types away.

    I love commands like

    sh mac address-table
    sh mac-address-table
    sh cam

    Why do they have to change it? I don't know but you might as well get use to it, lol.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Man, there are so many inconsistencies with Cisco, and others as well. I think it is done to keep us tech types on our feet and non-tech types away.

    I love commands like

    sh mac address-table
    sh mac-address-table
    sh cam

    Why do they have to change it? I don't know but you might as well get use to it, lol.


    Is that right? I'll have to check those commands out, that would be horrible.

    There's also a typo in the IP DHCP Snooping command in earlier versions of IOS. I think they fixed it now though...

    With everything I'm studying for, they really don't need to add fuel to the fire!!

    icon_mrgreen.gif

  • 4E65644E6564 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    show cam: Cat
    show mac add or mac-add are all over the place....

    Very annoying bouncing around the network looking for a MAC, and for each layer 2 hop having to check if it is "mac add" or "mac-add" icon_sad.gif.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Man, there are so many inconsistencies with Cisco, and others as well. I think it is done to keep us tech types on our feet and non-tech types away.

    I love commands like

    sh mac address-table
    sh mac-address-table
    sh cam

    Why do they have to change it? I don't know but you might as well get use to it, lol.

    Wait until you get on a Nexus and try "wr" or "logo".icon_sad.gif

    Edit: "sh mac-add" seems to work pretty consistently for me (other than on CATOS, obviously).
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I don't know what happened but on my latest IOS 15.0 my "do" command only does "do show run".

    If I try: "do wr" or "do wr mem" it doesn't work.

  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't know what happened but on my latest IOS 15.0 my "do" command only does "do show run".

    If I try: "do wr" or "do wr mem" it doesn't work.
    write memory is deprecated and you should use copy running-config startup-config. Whilst wr mem doesn't work, copy run sta does along with other commands. The privileged mode parser works differently when you're using it via do.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    tiersten wrote: »
    write memory is deprecated and you should use copy running-config startup-config. Whilst wr mem doesn't work, copy run sta does along with other commands. The privileged mode parser works differently when you're using it via do.


    lol it is!!?? hold the music folks...

    Wait a second...I thought "wr mem" or just "wr" was kinda the "new" shortcut instead of typing out copy run start? Apparently not...wow!

    So wasn't "copy run start" always in the IOS? Why was "wr mem" introduced in the first place then?

    My old IOS's from what I remember don't support "wr mem" so I always thought that "wr mem" or "wr" was the newer method...

  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    funny aint it well all use wr, as its so easy and quick. but yep its old school. however as far as switches go it works identical to copy run start. As i unerstood it write memory did exactly that. wrote the running memory to a perstance storage. copy run start copies a actual file out of memory to perstance storage. write memory was like saving a snap shot of the running state. while copy run is a file that needs to be read and parsed back in to the running memory at boot. now of course wr and copy run do the same thing. i supose so many people like the ease of "wr" that cisco saw fit to keep the syntax.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    As i unerstood it write memory did exactly that. wrote the running memory to a perstance storage. copy run start copies a actual file out of memory to perstance storage. write memory was like saving a snap shot of the running state. while copy run is a file that needs to be read and parsed back in to the running memory at boot.
    "copy nvram:running-config nvram:startup-config" and "write memory" do exactly the same thing. The configuration generated is the same and they're interchangeable.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    now of course wr and copy run do the same thing. i supose so many people like the ease of "wr" that cisco saw fit to keep the syntax.
    At one point in 12.3, Cisco decided that "write memory" would be deprecated and removed at some unspecified point in the future. However, due to the complaints it appears that they reversed this decision in 12.4 onwards and "write memory" is no longer marked as deprecated.

    As Cisco may change their mind in the future, I'd still say use "copy run sta" if you can.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Thanks guys, well, I suppose I better get used to "copy run start" if that's the way of the future. But jeez, couldn't they throw us a bone?

    "wr" was sooooo and isssss so much easier....

    what next? they are going to take away "u all"?

  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Thanks guys, well, I suppose I better get used to "copy run start" if that's the way of the future. But jeez, couldn't they throw us a bone?

    "wr" was sooooo and isssss so much easier....
    You can always set an alias. Up to you anyway if you want to use it. The latest IOS command reference on cisco.com doesn't list it as deprecated.
    what next? they are going to take away "u all"?
    Thats a built in alias.
    Router#show aliases
    Exec mode aliases:
      h                     help
      lo                    logout
      p                     ping
      r                     resume
      s                     show
      u                     undebug
      un                    undebug
      w                     where
    
    ATM virtual circuit configuration mode aliases:
      vbr                   vbr-nrt
    
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    tiersten wrote: »
    You can always set an alias. Up to you anyway if you want to use it. The latest IOS command reference on cisco.com doesn't list it as deprecated.


    Thats a built in alias.
    Router#show aliases
    Exec mode aliases:
      h                     help
      lo                    logout
      p                     ping
      r                     resume
      s                     show
      u                     undebug
      un                    undebug
      w                     where
    
    ATM virtual circuit configuration mode aliases:
      vbr                   vbr-nrt
    



    Dude. Are you like walking IOS savant? icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Dude. Are you like walking IOS savant? icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif
    No :P I looked at the list of public commands and saw that there are multiple u* commands and therefore something must be forcing u to be undebug. Looking at the list of built in aliases answered that question.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dude. Are you like walking IOS savant? icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif

    Not only IOS...
Sign In or Register to comment.