Options

Help with Access Server

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I just received my 2511 and Octal cable.
I already reset the 2511 config. So far what I have int the running-config are these:
conf t
hostname ACCESS_SERVER
enable secret cisco
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login
logging synchronous
exec-timeout 0 0
exit
line con 0
password cisco
login
logging synchronous
exec-timeout 0 0
exit
After that I have no idea how to setup an access server for my lab.
Can someone help me with this step by step?
Also can I use the two serial interface on 2511 for my lab too?

Thanks
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    rc51bossrc51boss Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Now I have my AS running.
    Can you explain to me what these commands for:
    no exec
    no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

Also, how do I make an IOS backup of my 2511? There is no ethernet or fast ethernet port.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    thehourman wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Now I have my AS running.
    Can you explain to me what these commands for:
    no exec
    no ip directed-broadcast

no ip mroute-cache

Also, how do I make an IOS backup of my 2511? There is no ethernet or fast ethernet port.

I don't think you really need the last 2 commands.

I can't remember exactly but I think the no exec has something to do with your connections not having to idle out...so you can connect again.

You mean you didn't order a AUI transceiever??

What you'll have to do is create a point to point with another router through your serial ports. HDLC or something, doesn't matter.

Assuming the other router has ethernet you can then have the TFTP server on that side so you can save your config....
  • Options
    No, I did not buy the AUI transceiver.
    That is what I thought after I posted my question. That is what I am going to do use my other router to copy the IOS of my 2511. I paid $178(S/H was included) for it.

Can I use the AS to act as another router in my lab? Because it does have 2 serial interface and I don't want to waste those two.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can I use the AS to act as another router in my lab? Because it does have 2 serial interface and I don't want to waste those two.

Absolutely... you'll need DTE/DCE cable(s) to connect them back-to-back with another serial interface. Shouldn't be a problem.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    So process of using my AS as part of my lab would be the same as my other routers. So it will act as AS and a regular router.
    Cool.

Now, I need to buy a 10' USB extension, so that I can use my desktop instead of my netbook.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Now, I need to buy a 10' USB extension, so that I can use my desktop instead of my netbook.
    You know that you can telnet into the 2511 on port 2001 to 2016 and it'll connect you to the various lines right? You don't just use the 2511 as an extremely large and heavy serial switch box via the console.
  • Options
    So process of using my AS as part of my lab would be the same as my other routers. So it will act as AS and a regular router.
    Cool.

I've seen most guys here likes to keep their AS separate from routing duties but that's just preference. It is a full fledged router, albeit an old one, but nonetheless use for all its worth!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    no exec
    Stops IOS from running exec on that line. Exec is what gives you the login prompt and you don't want the 2511 to think that the output from your connected devices are attempts at logging in. If it tries to "log in" too many times in a time period then the 2511 will think the port is defective and disable it for a while.
    no ip directed-broadcast
    It prevents a certain kind of DDoS attack. It isn't necessary to disable in a lab environment but it is best practise to do so anyway.
    no ip mroute-cache
    Turns off fast switching for multicast. Not essential again for a lab.
    3 options in order of preference

1. Buy an AUI transceiver so you can just connect to the 2511 directly
    2. Use one of the sync serial ports to connect to another router which does have ethernet
    3. Transfer it off using XMODEM over the console port. Remember to increase the baud rate temporarily before doing this otherwise you'll grow old doing it.
  • Options
    Thanks guys
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    3. Transfer it off using XMODEM over the console port. Remember to increase the baud rate temporarily before doing this otherwise you'll grow old doing it.

I tried this awhile back with my older 2900XL switches, and going from 9600 baud to 115200 is a lot faster. I highly recommened everyone do this if they have to go this route... the other way took very very long...I ended up watching a movie....