Options

Studying for Sec+

JRZ80JRZ80 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am studying for the Sec+ exam, can anyone give me some advice about taking it? I haven't set up an exam date yet as I am just getting back to studying for it after a year hiatus. I bought the Exam Cram book, I have the Kaplan self test software, and I am thinking about getting the CBT Nuggets for it (how helpful are they?).

Is there anything else I should look into getting?

Also on average, how long did it take to study for it the exam? Im looking at taking the entire summer if need be.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i'll suggest it and plenty of others will too.

GET THIS BOOK! hands down the best study source i used for the exam.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Yeah, I gotta say, that book is pretty awesome. It helped tremendously with my pass.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can afford it get Labsim/testout. Has video training and practice test questions. It helped me. A lot of people at WGU have been using just Labsim for Sec+ and scoring in the high 800's.
    I doubt it should take you that long. Depends on how many hrs/week you put into it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TheMechanicTheMechanic Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trainsignal ftw
    Needs 100K
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Didn't use trainsignal. Most opinions on this would be from someone who had used just the one resource (Labsim or Trainsignal). A lot of people have used just Darril's book and I know of a lot of people who used just Labsim.
    I used Labsim, Sybex Study guide, Sybex Security Administrator Street Smarts (for labbing because I learn more hands on) and scored 855/900.
    The Labsim is a good resource and includes tests after each section and has practice tests which are similar in difficulty to the exam.
    The important thing is to learn the material. A lot of what I learned while studying for the Sec+ I'm seeing again in my studies for the MCITP:EA.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am using Darril Gibson's book and the corresponding Transcender exam, "ftw". :) A good book, plus Transcenders helped me pass both of my A+ exams and Network+ (which I used the Mike Meyers' All-In-One books at the time...EXCELLENT).

I'm a few chapters in now and just for the heck of it took the Transcenders to see how ready I was. I'm 67% ready, which means I have more studying to do. I don't buy a voucher until I start seeing mininum 90% three random exams in a row. (Not back to back, but one day here, another day there etc.).

That book though has EVERYTHING you need to pass the test. I looked at the stuff I got wrong on the Transcender and was able to find the subject quickly on my Kindle. As for Transcenders, with proper study, they have never failed me.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For my studies (which won't begin for another month or so) I have already purchased Gibson's book because everyone raves how good it is. I'm also planning on the trainsignal videos. Never used them before, but I like that they don't seem all locked down. They also come with Transcender, which is very close to my bible.

I've heard good things about the Sec+ CBT Nuggets, but I have been fighting with them with the videos I already have. (In an unrelated note they just mailed me a t-shirt, a ball, and a sticky pad because they set up my licensing wrong. I'd like to say everything is fixed, but I just had some more issues last night.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.