Options

Spyware/Adware

CoachllbbCoachllbb Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I work for a large company, the computers are getting bogged down with Spyware/Adware. Our fix is to replace the computer, then Fdisk/format the affected computer. My question is, will Fdisk/Format remove all the Spyware/Adware or should will do a low level format and/or run a program like Auroclave?

Comments

• Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Yes, a format/fdisk will do the trick.
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    FDISK and formatting sounds a little aggressive unless further actions are taken. You mention working for a large company, do you have a security policy outlining what the users are allowed to do? If not write one, then lock down the PCs and your network to limit the amount of junk coming in.

Just formating won't do much if you still allow the users the ability to download and install junk.

I use Pestpatrol and Lavasoft to remove pests. Beware, a few of the helpful spyware removal tools are actually spyware.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    45 Minute rule: If it takes you 45 mintues to fix an issue, just re-do the computer. I would use a SUS server and keep your windows updated, virus protection up, personal internet time of employees down. Adaware SE helps for a quick fix or Stinger for viruses. Invest in a USB drive & ghost or multicast server for last resort.

out~
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    45 minute rule? Shoot, many companies have a half hour rule for that sort of stuff. Fdisk does the clean up well enough in most cases.
    For private clients with a real bad case I tell them that it can take up to 2 hours to cleanse a machine.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    i totally agree about a company security policy. These need to be implemented. This will save you and the company in the long run. It gets to be tedious to have to format a drive everytime someone gets spyware on their machines. A security policy outlining what they can/can't do on the internet (or if they need access to the internet at all) well reduce this problem tremendously.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    For sake of simplicity, keep a partition to hold an image of the machine once it is formatted, joined to domain, software installed, etc. Then boot to DOS and use Ghost to restore the puppy when stuff like this becomes necessary.

I agree with the others.. while treating only the symptoms you are not addressing the heart of the matter.

Where I work we do have a security policy and a filter to restrict sites but even still you come across a machine with Weather Bug, Comet Cursor and other kinds of stuff that you have to work over a bit. Ghost helps a lot.

We are about to put in an internet bar at my job that would be pretty much unrestricted net access and I've put together a system where you can connect remotely and have the machine reimage itself. Hopefully once a week will be enough for those units.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you dont just ghost the machines if it takes more then a few minutes?