Passed 701 but puzzled by material

dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Glad I passed the 701 but the questions did not line up with the objectives. They were more problem solving than technical specifications. Where were the questions on Expansion slots, CPU sockets, PATA/SATA drive tansfer rates, minimum requirements for XP and Vista, screen resolutions (XGA, UXGA)??? I didn't see a single one.

Again, glad I passed I'm just puzzled by the material.

Onto the 702!!

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! You're half way there! Keep it goin' icon_cheers.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing the 701!
    It seems that Comptia wants to move away from having people just memorize material and more towards being able to use their knowledge. You have shown that you know the material and are able to use it.
    Good luck on the 702
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • dancreaneydancreaney Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats kind of a relief. I'm taking this test tomorrow. Memorizing numbers is my weakness. I figure if you need to upgrade a PC you would always check the documentation before going ahead rather than rely on your memory to be sure. Though some memorization is needed to compliment troubleshooting skills, those skills are only gained through experience. Which is a better test of skill. In my opinion anyway.
  • dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback..
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gongrats! icon_thumright.gif Come on!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They were more problem solving than technical specifications.

It's been awhile since I took the test (and it was the 600 series) but that was my impression as well. A+ is mostly customer service type things. They have been trying to migrated away from the "What is IRQ 15 used for?" questions. Anybody can memorize a few numbers, but it actually takes some thinking to succeed. Common sense isn't common for everyone.

That isn't saying you won't get those techy questions, there are probably still a fair amount of them. And for all we know, maybe they are waited more. Just because half of your test was non-techincal, doesn't mean thats where half of your score came from.
    Decide what to be and go be it.