Options

Follow up after an interview?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hi,

I had a face to face interview last week. I did OK but not fantastic. It didn't start off too good but at the end I did recover a little. The position begins next Friday.

Should I still follow-up or give-up and wait for them to call me?

I doubt it will make a huge difference for following up. This position begins next Friday and timing is very tight. If I did make it to the next stage ,they would have called me by now.

I heard that most employers make their decision by the end of the interview.

What do you think

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What would it hurt to give them a call? As long as you are not calling everyday and making yourself annoying it should be fine.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Unknown27Unknown27 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah the waiting period for decision making is really gut-wrenching.

In certain situations you would want the employer know that you are very interested by following up on the interview.

At the same time you don't want to be a pest and if you did good on the interview, that should be all you need to get you in.

If I was an employer I would have already figured my mind up, and would call the potential employee instead of sitting on my hands waiting for a follow up call to an interview I gave.

However I'm not an employer, so I would call once to follow up...it can only benefit you rather than hinder your chances. :D
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might have blown this interview, and they already have something else in mind. But why not send a thank you card with your business card in it. Maybe another position will open that fits you better and they will give you a call for that?

I agree with the once above. Don't be a nuisance and disrupt business (although I have heard of success stories with that in the past. Not my style though). But giving them a call and thanking them while asking for an update could only do good.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    My usual policy is to follow-up the next day with an email simply thanking them for their time. Next, I wait a week a call back to see if they need any more information. I've worked for employers in the past who will only hire people if they attempt to follow up.

As others have said, do not be a nuisance. I typically will not call back a second time unless they specifically indicate that I'll need to call back in a few days because they haven't decided yet or something like that.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In my experience I've found that if you don't get a call within 48 hours you should probably not count on getting that job. People hire individuals to fill a role and the hiring process is generally long enough that waiting to pick someone is a non-factor. You know if someone was a good fit for the role right after the interview.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    In my experience I've found that if you don't get a call within 48 hours you should probably not count on getting that job. People hire individuals to fill a role and the hiring process is generally long enough that waiting to pick someone is a non-factor. You know if someone was a good fit for the role right after the interview.

Same here. I don't think I've ever gone longer than 48 hours and either gotten the offer or the call to come in for the next round of interviews.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    After my last interview I sent an email the next day thanking them for their time. In the email I said, "Because you're going to reach a decision quickly I'd like to outline the following points that make me a good fit for the position......". It took them close to a week to call me after that....and I started this Monday. Don't lose hope. I didn't feel like I did well in my interview either, so I tried to make up for it with a well written follow up.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for the advice.

I agree with someone that if I dont get a call within 48 hours after the first face to face interview, they are most likely not going to consider me.

The job starts next week and by now I think they have sent offers to ppl already.