Sucks for you if you have ATT and a data plan

Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
I didn't really see this posted anywhere else on this site and I believe the news just launched, so check this out.

New AT&T data plans milk data gluttons, lower costs for most

Basically for $15/month you get a 200mb allotment. If you need an additional 200mb you get charged twice. It's basically something like $72/gig. If you have the advanced package its $20/month for 2gigs and $10 for each additional gig. That means that if you use six gigs on your phone its going to cost you $60.

The biggest kick to the nuts goes to the iPad owners who thought that they could get unlimited 3g service for $30. Now ATT is stating that they have to pay the 2gig plan's prices. So much for streaming netflix on your iPads...

Another nutshot is the fact that tethering is going to cost you an additional $20/month to do something that would otherwise cost the provider NOTHING. You already have a cap on the phone so whether you use 2gb on your cellphone or your laptop shouldn't matter. Lets re-cap. Assuming you have the 2gig plan and use six gigs in a month that's $60, plus $20 to tether and you're looking at $80 just to use the Internet on your phone.

I pay $20/month to TMobile for unlimited data. If I use up 5gigs in one month they just kick me off of 3g and force me to edge. I'm on edge 90% of the time when I'm on the road so it doesn't affect me. I can also tether my phone using PDANet which is inexpensive, or use a free app to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot.

This is just further proof that ATT (and the other large telcos) really don't care about innovation in the mobile wireless market and truly don't care about the consumer. I've worked in telecom long enough to know thats the truth.
CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
pbosworth@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL. I will never touch anything from ATT. Just amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I didn't really see this posted anywhere else on this site and I believe the news just launched, so check this out.

New AT&T data plans milk data gluttons, lower costs for most

Basically for $15/month you get a 200mb allotment. If you need an additional 200mb you get charged twice. It's basically something like $72/gig. If you have the advanced package its $20/month for 2gigs and $10 for each additional gig. That means that if you use six gigs on your phone its going to cost you $60.

The biggest kick to the nuts goes to the iPad owners who thought that they could get unlimited 3g service for $30. Now ATT is stating that they have to pay the 2gig plan's prices. So much for streaming netflix on your iPads...

Another nutshot is the fact that tethering is going to cost you an additional $20/month to do something that would otherwise cost the provider NOTHING. You already have a cap on the phone so whether you use 2gb on your cellphone or your laptop shouldn't matter. Lets re-cap. Assuming you have the 2gig plan and use six gigs in a month that's $60, plus $20 to tether and you're looking at $80 just to use the Internet on your phone.

I pay $20/month to TMobile for unlimited data. If I use up 5gigs in one month they just kick me off of 3g and force me to edge. I'm on edge 90% of the time when I'm on the road so it doesn't affect me. I can also tether my phone using PDANet which is inexpensive, or use a free app to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot.

This is just further proof that ATT (and the other large telcos) really don't care about innovation in the mobile wireless market and truly don't care about the consumer. I've worked in telecom long enough to know thats the truth.

I'm not too bothered by it honestly. I don't use enough data to be bothered by it. I don't travel so I don't have much interest in tethering. I do think that there are a lot of people out there who are upset about it though. I also agree that it is wrong on the part of ATT to do this but I can see the other companies following suit very soon. (I'm looking at you Verizon and your LTE network.)

Edit: I also won't be switching off of my $30 unlimited plan so they can suck it.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xmalachi wrote: »

Edit: I also won't be switching off of my $30 unlimited plan so they can suck it.

As long as you stay on your current plan you should be grandfathered in.

I'm just thinking about the people who blew $600 or more for a 3g ipad only to find out a month later that they have to be careful with the amount of data they're transferring. The whole push was to convince people that they could stay web-centric with a device that compromises between the portability of a smart phone with the function of a laptop. If you want me to use the iPad like its a laptop or desktop replacement you better make sure I can have unlimited 3g. Being told to just use your home wifi or to go to starbux doesn't cut it for me because I'd just as soon use my actual laptop. I'm sure Apple can't be too happy about this.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is why I refuse to use apple products. Not entiely their fault (although most of it is) but they are also partnered up with AT&T.

In their defense though, unlimited is not unlimited. Almost all companies (phone and cable/dsl) have a clause in their contracts that says something like "unlimited for a normal user". Thats just to cover their @** for when they have a user that is downloading hundreds of GB a day. And even the ones that don't have that in the contract, interesting how my qwest dsl gets disconnected for 6 hours or so after I download a couple dvd's in the same day.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Never been an apple fan, but kind of liked the IPhone. Never been an ATT fan, but would have considered to be one for an IPhone possibly. Now with this news, again, im sold even more that ill never EVER buy an IPhone. Ill stick to android platforms. Once the EVO comes out this friday, the IPhone will begin to die anyway.
    As long as you stay on your current plan you should be grandfathered in.

I'm just thinking about the people who blew $600 or more for a 3g ipad only to find out a month later that they have to be careful with the amount of data they're transferring. The whole push was to convince people that they could stay web-centric with a device that compromises between the portability of a smart phone with the function of a laptop. If you want me to use the iPad like its a laptop or desktop replacement you better make sure I can have unlimited 3g. Being told to just use your home wifi or to go to starbux doesn't cut it for me because I'd just as soon use my actual laptop. I'm sure Apple can't be too happy about this.

Oh, I'm totally with you there. I would be pissed if I bought an iPad and now can't use it to its full ability. I mean you'll be able to watch a couple Netflix movies on that kind of cap. Many of the airports I've been in haven't adopted the whole free wifi thing yet so you'll be screwed there. I have an iPhone and I like it well enough but I'm kind of hesitant to think about getting the new one in a couple weeks. I might be riding this contract out and just going with an Android phone on TMo or Sprint. Eh.. knowing me though I'll probably just get the new iPhone. I'll find some way to be disappointed with Android. (No PopCap games lol.. I need me some PvZ, Bejeweled and Peggle)
  • pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    I actually have mixed feelings about these changes. For me personally, it will save me $15 per month. I typically use around 100 mb of data a month. If you use less than 2 gb a month, it will save you money. If you use well over 5 gb a month, it could save you money due to the overage rates going down a bit. Those who use between 2 and 5 will be the ones who get nailed.

What I don't understand is AT&T's insistence on charging extra for tethering. In the days of "unlimited" data, they claimed that customers who tether will use more data, thus the higher charge. Now that they've removed unlimited plans, there is absolutely no reason to charge extra. It would be like going to the gas station and having to pay extra to put gas in your boat or lawn mower. It's ludicrous.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    LOL. I will never touch anything from ATT. Just amazing.

Same here. If verizon picks up the iphone later this year i'll pick one up on their network assuming they dont do what ATT just did. I'll NEVER use another ATT service.
    (No PopCap games lol.. I need me some PvZ, Bejeweled and Peggle)

I think you might be surprised to find that the android market has a free bejeweled that kicks the pants off of the one you have to pay for from the apple market. The android market is pretty sick with how much free content there is. I've only paid for a few games because I wanted to support the developers, not because I had to. Even most of the free versions are the same as the pay versions, just with ads.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    I think you might be surprised to find that the android market has a free bejeweled that kicks the pants off of the one you have to pay for from the apple market. The android market is pretty sick with how much free content there is. I've only paid for a few games because I wanted to support the developers, not because I had to. Even most of the free versions are the same as the pay versions, just with ads.

Very nice. My Bejeweled addiction derives from trying to get the highest score of my Facebook friends every week haha. My dad has been looking at the Incredible and it looks like an awesome phone. The main reason I can't switch from ATT is my fiance. She won't switch over to another carrier because all of her friends have ATT. I must say, having ATT would probably save us a lot of money over the other carriers. I didn't know it was possible to talk on the phone that much in one month.
    Very nice. My Bejeweled addiction derives from trying to get the highest score of my Facebook friends every week haha. My dad has been looking at the Incredible and it looks like an awesome phone. The main reason I can't switch from ATT is my fiance. She won't switch over to another carrier because all of her friends have ATT. I must say, having ATT would probably save us a lot of money over the other carriers. I didn't know it was possible to talk on the phone that much in one month.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I am probably the only dude in Baton Rouge with T-Mobile but I have unlimited phone, text, and data so I don't care. Go with a real carrier that doesn't require you to count minutes.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have an iphone 2g and am looking forward for the new 4g. Now i am worried that once that new phone arrives i cannot get unlimited data with it icon_sad.gif If this is the case i will goto verizon and get a droid. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This sucks. According to article, as long as you use the same device then you can be grandfathered and still renew the contract. So when iPhone (4th gen) comes out that means you're screwed. You can't use the new iPhone with unlimited data plan. AT&T and Apple is really giving me a reason to switch to Android for a nice HTC Evo with cheaper voice and data plan from Sprint. Though, I heard Sprint sucks big time. Anyone disagree?
    :study: Life+
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    (No PopCap games lol.. I need me some PvZ, Bejeweled and Peggle)
    I just got PvZ this past weekend. I didnt know what i was missing. I'm not sure I like it better than GeoDefense or GD Swarm, but its really a well done game.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All I can say is that Verizon better not pull this c**p. They promised the iPhone and it still hasn't come. All the heavy data users get screwed because the "larger percent" of users can save money....
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zerglings wrote: »
    This sucks. According to article, as long as you use the same device then you can be grandfathered and still renew the contract. So when iPhone (4th gen) comes out that means you're screwed. You can't use the new iPhone with unlimited data plan. AT&T and Apple is really giving me a reason to switch to Android for a nice HTC Evo with cheaper voice and data plan from Sprint. Though, I heard Sprint sucks big time. Anyone disagree?

Sprint sucks but the price is fair. I usually have decent service in my area. Some spots are awful. I am going to update my Blackberry Pearl to an Evo in a few months. There is going to be a premium data rate for it though. icon_sad.gif
    knwminus wrote: »
    Sprint sucks but the price is fair. I usually have decent service in my area. Some spots are awful. I am going to update my Blackberry Pearl to an Evo in a few months. There is going to be a premium data rate for it though. icon_sad.gif

Yea. For $69.99/month you can't beat the price for 500 voice, unlimited any cell network, and unlimited text and data plan, if I am not mistaken. Additional $10/month for the HTC Evo is still not bad! Then again, I am in an area where 4G is available.

Our employer uses Sprint for cell phone service, I don't have a company phone (which I am okay with it) and all my colleagues say Sprint service sucks. But two of my previous colleagues said otherwise. I really like the HTC Evo though. icon_sad.gif
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    ATT service where im at is horrible. My wife and I both have sprint service for our providers, and my wife has an ATT phone for her work job, and its a no contest as far as service goes, Sprint blow them out of the water. Plus our area doesn't have 3g for ATT, but it does for Sprint. We had considered switching to ATT just to get Iphones, but thats not going to happen, especially not now with this crap. I despise Apple and the crap they pull!
    What the hell does that have to do with anything? I am probably the only dude in Baton Rouge with T-Mobile but I have unlimited phone, text, and data so I don't care. Go with a real carrier that doesn't require you to count minutes.

Ahh don't hurt me! I agree though man. I'd rather not be on ATT they are a bunch of schmucks. Charter is another company that I despise.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Heh and this summer Apple will still sell a few million iPhones
    Oh heck this new plan is going to save me and the wife some money. I checked her data usage and for the past year she only used 75mb per month. I use quite a bit but can go with the 2gb plan for 25 vs unlimited for 30 because I only use a few hundred megs per month.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Oh heck this new plan is going to save me and the wife some money. I checked her data usage and for the past year she only used 75mb per month. I use quite a bit but can go with the 2gb plan for 25 vs unlimited for 30 because I only use a few hundred megs per month.

Is saving $5 really worth that potential? Even if I only used 1GB every month, I would probably still opt for the unlimmited for $5 more. $5 isn't worth the checking and the potential to go over.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Heh and this summer Apple will still sell a few million iPhones

I bet they will!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Is saving $5 really worth that potential? Even if I only used 1GB every month, I would probably still opt for the unlimmited for $5 more. $5 isn't worth the checking and the potential to go over.

+1
    Devilsbane wrote: »

I checked for the past year I would have to increase my usage five times more than my heaviest use month. I would never come anywhere near that. I just see it as 20 bucks off a month for our family plan.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the impact of this is going to be negligible. 98% of ATT's users never touch 2GB anyway. The only people that are going to be pissed are a portion of iPad owners because it's probably going to save the average person money. Half of the iPad owners that are going to be pissed are only going to be pissed because they read something on the internet that made them think they had a reason to be, but they will have no idea what that reason is. You know what the ones that are legitimately pissed are gonna do? Bend over and take it. Until ATT loses iPhone exclusivity, they aren't going anywhere and as soon as VZW gets the iPhone, ATT will tank.

Not like they are the only people that put a cap on it anyway. VZW has a 5GB cap on theirs. The difference is, they market it as unlimited and if you somehow manage to hit it they just cut you off. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is language in the contract that allows them to end your service completely if you consistently do it.
    :study:
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    zerglings wrote: »
    This sucks. According to article, as long as you use the same device then you can be grandfathered and still renew the contract. So when iPhone (4th gen) comes out that means you're screwed. You can't use the new iPhone with unlimited data plan.
    Nope. AT&T was asked to clarify and thats not true. You're allowed to upgrade to newer hardware i.e. iPhone 4G and keep your existing unlimited plan but thats obviously only for existing users. What you're not allowed to do however is get tethering on the old unlimited plan since that requires the new 2GB plan with the $20 tethering fee.

"Unlimited" of course being a 5GB soft cap where they'll start getting grouchy and sending you nasty letters if you go over.
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    I think the impact of this is going to be negligible.

Sure from a purely economical standpoint the impact is going to be minimal, but this is going to hinder development into more bandwidth intensive technologies in the long run. Why would a developer look into creating a new and innovative technology is the telco is going to hinder his ability to deliver the service? Further, how are you going to continue to drive consumers to purchase iPads by marketing features such as streaming netflix, music, books, web browsing, etc, if you cap that transfer? In the graphic intensive world of Web2.0 I use several gigs of bandwidth a week just casually surfing the internet and streaming media. Between watching TV shows on Hulu in airports or streaming HD youtube, I put a dent in some bandwidth. By crippling their service I would not be able to maintain my current browsing habits.

The problem with companies like ATT is that they heavily rely on consumers under-utilizing the service which they're paying for and rather than fortifying their infrastructure, screw the consumers who are trying to push the technology. I love having a free market but sometimes it blows to know that there is literally no way to force a monolithic company like ATT to innovate. For most people choosing a service provider is much like buying a flight- all about the cheapest rates with zero loyalty attached. From my years of working in the telco industry I feel a moral obligation to provide my business to a company which provides the service which I expect to receive for a reasonable price and with good service. I used to work intimately with Bell South which is now ATT. I fully understand their complete disregard for the consumer, their antiquated internal software (I used to have to use it), and their "we are too big to give a damn" attitude. Fun fact: they treat their business partners and re-sellers the same way as their general consumer base. I have been with T Mobile since I was 18 years old (they were my first independent utility) because when I worked at the phone company I consciously tried to go with a provider that was the polar opposite of ATT's business model. I nearly chose Cingular but they wouldn't extend to me a line of credit so I was forced to my backup, T Mobile. Thanks for stiffing me Cingular, it saved me years of headaches!
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    tiersten wrote: »
    Nope. AT&T was asked to clarify and thats not true. You're allowed to upgrade to newer hardware i.e. iPhone 4G and keep your existing unlimited plan but thats obviously only for existing users. What you're not allowed to do however is get tethering on the old unlimited plan since that requires the new 2GB plan with the $20 tethering fee.

"Unlimited" of course being a 5GB soft cap where they'll start getting grouchy and sending you nasty letters if you go over.

The Ars article did say that though. So I was like, really? When I was in bed and checking out Engadget, I saw the same link as you did and said otherwise. Thanks though. c",)
    Sure from a purely economical standpoint the impact is going to be minimal, but this is going to hinder development into more bandwidth intensive technologies in the long run. Why would a developer look into creating a new and innovative technology is the telco is going to hinder his ability to deliver the service? Further, how are you going to continue to drive consumers to purchase iPads by marketing features such as streaming netflix, music, books, web browsing, etc, if you cap that transfer? In the graphic intensive world of Web2.0 I use several gigs of bandwidth a week just casually surfing the internet and streaming media. Between watching TV shows on Hulu in airports or streaming HD youtube, I put a dent in some bandwidth. By crippling their service I would not be able to maintain my current browsing habits.

The problem with companies like ATT is that they heavily rely on consumers under-utilizing the service which they're paying for and rather than fortifying their infrastructure, screw the consumers who are trying to push the technology. I love having a free market but sometimes it blows to know that there is literally no way to force a monolithic company like ATT to innovate. For most people choosing a service provider is much like buying a flight- all about the cheapest rates with zero loyalty attached. From my years of working in the telco industry I feel a moral obligation to provide my business to a company which provides the service which I expect to receive for a reasonable price and with good service. I used to work intimately with Bell South which is now ATT. I fully understand their complete disregard for the consumer, their antiquated internal software (I used to have to use it), and their "we are too big to give a damn" attitude. Fun fact: they treat their business partners and re-sellers the same way as their general consumer base. I have been with T Mobile since I was 18 years old (they were my first independent utility) because when I worked at the phone company I consciously tried to go with a provider that was the polar opposite of ATT's business model. I nearly chose Cingular but they wouldn't extend to me a line of credit so I was forced to my backup, T Mobile. Thanks for stiffing me Cingular, it saved me years of headaches!

the consumer will push inovation with their dollars. The problem is the bulk of consumers do not need or want what you want so the companies will cater to what they want which right now is just accessibility/availability not tons of bandwith. At home that is another thing but the mobile market is still growing and plenty if not most of the consumers are just now adopting/adapting to the new technology.

And right now for the US compared to the rest of the world is way behind infrastructure wise so companies will continue to barely stay one step ahead of the consumer demand in order to maintain a decent profit margin.

From a business perspective though I can see why ATT is not going to **** a ton of money to upgrade their infrstructure. They will not maintain the iPhone as an exclusive for much longer imo and consumers once they become more comfortable with technology will look at and move to other devices like the Android so the consumer will move away from ATT and things will balance out. Once this occurs I think Verizon and others will start to clamp down on their unlimited plans once their traffic increases.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm personally going with verizon after my current contract with another company runs out next month. I'm getting an android as I keep hearing such good things about them. I'm personally fed up with ATT as I have them for my home phone and DSL but have no choice for the internet except satelite.
    I'm switching to satelite soon as the state of my DSL sucks..almost every time it rains my internet connection goes out due to problems on the lines and my speed is so slow. I'm paying for the second highest DSL speed they have but since I'm so far from the ISP I barely have faster than dial-up.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.