Options

Hands-on/Labs for Security+

CoachllbbCoachllbb Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm starting to study for Security+. Is there any kind of labs or hands-on studying for Security +?

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I suppose you could set some up, but honestly, you won't need them.

The Security+ test is mostly theory and knowing what stuff is, not how it works.
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need labs to pass the Security+ exam.

However, if you are studying to learn how to actually secure a network, and not just pass an exam, labs can be helpful.

I took a college course "Into to Computer Security" which pretty much follows the Sec+ objectives and we did a lot of labs. 99% of them did little to actually help prepare for the exam but they did show how all this stuff applies to the real world.

BTW, I took the Sec+ exam before going to class on the last night and passed with a score of 876.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Coachllbb wrote:
    I'm starting to study for Security+. Is there any kind of labs or hands-on studying for Security +?

Like others have said, you do not need hands on labs for this exam....but, if you are interested in this type of stuff and want hands on labs, check out the study material for CEH. If you know how it is done, it helps you to defend against it. Have fun...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    BinaryBagboyBinaryBagboy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Coachllbb wrote:

Not needed, but nice to have for any cert or test one may wish to go after.

I got tired of searching for labs, and over the years, started to just collect old boxes (according to company standards) and create my own.

Nothing beats hands on. And if you work in an IT environment, I really doubt that they're just gonna let you practice on their network.

You don't really need much right off the bat. A couple boxes that can handle 98/2KPro/XP-Pro and network them. Now you can be your own Netgod and if you hose something, you don't have a company coming down on your rear end.

Besides, with a lab of your own, you can practice and use the tools that a cracker would use. As Ten9t6 stated, if you know how it works, it's easier to defend against. Most companies and their lawyers would have a major issue, were you to practice using these tools on their network as well. icon_wink.gif