Can anyone access Google.ca or Google.com?

new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, something really strange has happened today.

When I try going to google dot ca and google dot com, I keep getting redirected to a Yahoo page that says:

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.

However the URL of this page is still Google
The same thing happens for google.com

The really weird thing is that I opened a cmd window and did a ping to Google in order to obtain their IP. I pasted this IP into the browser, and I got to Google! However typing "www.google.ca" will not work.

Is anyone else having the same issues?

It is not just one computer...It's all the computers in my house (windows, mac, and linux).

Could be just my location (I am in Toronto).

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Your DNS server is messed up or you've got malware?
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Yeah its working fine here.
  • new2netnew2net Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Your DNS server is messed up or you've got malware?

I was thinking that... first it could be a virus, or malware, so I ran the viruscheck, spyware check, and any other check I could think of. Still no luck. Plus its happening to all 4 machines in my house as of about an hour ago...

My dns server is learned through DHCP from my isp... So it's something messed up on their end?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    new2net wrote: »
    I was thinking that... first it could be a virus, or malware, so I ran the viruscheck, spyware check, and any other check I could think of. Still no luck. Plus its happening to all 4 machines in my house as of about an hour ago...

My dns server is learned through DHCP from my isp... So it's something messed up on their end?

Try NSLOOKUP www.google.com and see what results you get. If you get a bad result change your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 those are Google's public DNS servers. Try those two and see if that works.
    The NSLOOKUP returns the same IP...

Just wondering through... if it is a problem with DNS server, then why do the pings work and why does NSLOOKUP provide the right IP for google dot ca?

Here is my ping:
    Pinging google.ca [66.249.91.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.91.104: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56

The NSLOOKUP and PING both return the correct IP for google...so the DNS is working correctly? Pasting the IP into the brower works...but actually typing google dot ca, doesn't...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You got a proxy set?
    The NSLOOKUP returns the same IP...

Just wondering through... if it is a problem with DNS server, then why do the pings work and why does NSLOOKUP provide the right IP for google dot ca?

Here is my ping:
    Pinging google.ca [66.249.91.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.91.104: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=56

The NSLOOKUP and PING both return the correct IP for google...so the DNS is working correctly? Pasting the IP into the brower works...but actually typing google dot ca, doesn't...

I had an issue like this with Time Warner. I tried repeatedly to tell them the issue was with their DNS servers and they refused to provide me with any help at all. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it would not. So I changed my DNS servers and have never had the issue since.

It was very unusual and seemed to occur when accessing some sites more than others. Try to change your DNS servers on your PC. See if that works.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    You got a proxy set?

No proxy...
    Try NSLOOKUP www.google.com and see what results you get. If you get a bad result change your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 those are Google's public DNS servers. Try those two and see if that works.

Tried this...still no luck. Verified the config has stuck with ipconfig /all.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

All other sites work, just not google dot ca or google dot com

This is crazy.
    You can also try:

Down for everyone or just me?

when you want to know if some site is up.

Thanks!

Can someone help me understand... is it still a DNS problem if NSLOOKUP and the PINGS are contacting the right address for google dot ca? It seems that the DNS Resolution is working correctly if NSLOOKUP returns the right IP, and the PINGS are being sent to the correct IP...

UPDATE: I restarted to computer after changing the DNS Server to 8.8.8.8, and everything is working fine!

Still don't get why NSLOOKUP and the PINGs found the right IP address when there is a problem with my ISP DNS Server....Can anyone help me understand how that works...?
    No proxy...

Tried this...still no luck. Verified the config has stuck with ipconfig /all.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

All other sites work, just not google dot ca or google dot com

This is crazy.

Thanks!

Can someone help me understand... is it still a DNS problem if NSLOOKUP and the PINGS are contacting the right address for google dot ca? It seems that the DNS Resolution is working correctly if NSLOOKUP returns the right IP, and the PINGS are being sent to the correct IP...

UPDATE: I restarted to computer after changing the DNS Server to 8.8.8.8, and everything is working fine!

Still don't get why NSLOOKUP and the PINGs found the right IP address when there is a problem with my ISP DNS Server....Can anyone help me understand how that works...?

You may have had a bad IP address in your DNS cache. Did you try ipconfig /flushdns?

Ping and NSLOOKUP use, at least I believe, different name resolution libraries than regular applications.
    Did the flushdns..

Even weirder is that some browsers will work with google dot ca, and some wont... For example, on the same machine...Firefox and Safari won't allow google...yet IE loads Google no problem! Same issue on all machines. I feel like some weird stuff is happening in here.

This is so strange.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    try www.google.com/pacman

It's my new homepage.
    Decide what to be and go be it.