Options

Ebooks and DVDs

ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
Odd question:

I buy a Kindle

I then buy an electronic IT Book that comes with a DVD with testing software, for my new Kindle.

How do I get the DVD since the book is in electronic format?

I can't seem to get an answer from Amazon or BN

Obdurate~

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You generally either get a download code/location or you don't get the extra content at all.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    On a sad note, eBook IT titles often cost more than their printed versions. Where the heck is the incentive? And even more generaly, the logic in that pricing?
    Looked at some Linux- related literature the other day, if I had bought the eBook version it would cost me almost twice as much as the used printed book.
    Seminar notes and articles in eBook format (i.e. electronic format only, no printed version) cost more than the magazine itself and previews like table of contents aren't even available. Sorry, no deal.
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Looked at some Linux- related literature the other day, if I had bought the eBook version it would cost me almost twice as much as the used printed book.
    Well. If it was eBook vs used paper book then it isn't really a fair comparison...
  • Options
    Almost all the titles in my personal library were bought as used although nothing in their condition sugested they were used (almost mint condition). With the accompanying media (CD/DVD) intact.
    There's really no justification for higher prices of books in digital format. No print expenses, no binding process, no marketing deals with brick-n-mortar book shops and still the price goes up?
  • Options
    Almost all the titles in my personal library were bought as used although nothing in their condition sugested they were used (almost mint condition). With the accompanying media (CD/DVD) intact.
    Still not new though. It is only unscrupulous vendors that would claim a used item even if it was in mint condition was new.
    There's really no justification for higher prices of books in digital format. No print expenses, no binding process, no marketing deals with brick-n-mortar book shops and still the price goes up?
    I agree that an eBook should in theory be cheaper than a regular paper book because you don't have to actually print/bind/ship it but you still can't compare the prices with a "used" book :P

It all depends on how they're allocating the price or at least justifying how they're allocating the price. It may be that they're deeming the information itself to be 99% of the price and that the 1% left over is the actual printing/binding/shipping. As evident by the high price of eBooks, I'd say they're using this tactic.

Quite a few of the Cisco Press books have a DRM free PDF copy of the book on the enclosed CD which is nice.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Still not new though. It is only unscrupulous vendors that would claim a used item even if it was in mint condition was new.
    ... I agree that an eBook should in theory be cheaper than a regular paper book because you don't have to actually print/bind/ship it but you still can't compare the prices with a "used" book :P

The "unscrupulous" vendor sells used book in new- book condition for 25% discount on the full price of the new book. Yeah, bad vendor, shame, shame shame icon_rolleyes.gif Where did you see the unscrupulous element there? It's not that it's pirated, copied, it is a legally obtained book.
    I really can't see any reason why NOT comparing prices of used and eBooks. Give me one good reason why not.
    In theory, in practice, logically, reasonable, however you want to name it, there's really no justification behind eBook price being higher than printed version. The only one remotely logical explanation would be that by buying legal eBook copy you are also paying up publisher's losses for those pirated eBooks circulating on the net a download away. But piracy isn't my problem and I shouldn't be forced to pay up the losses the publisher may incurred.
  • Options
    The "unscrupulous" vendor sells used book in new- book condition for 25% discount on the full price of the new book. Yeah, bad vendor, shame, shame shame icon_rolleyes.gif Where did you see the unscrupulous element there? It's not that it's pirated, copied, it is a legally obtained book.
    It is unscrupulous if you sell a second hand item as a new item. If somebody sold you a car that you were told was brand new but actually had been previously owned you'd be completely okay with that? Right. Thought not.
    I really can't see any reason why NOT comparing prices of used and eBooks. Give me one good reason why not.
    You're comparing "new" eBook against second hand paper book. Do you also compare the price of MP3s against the cost of secondhand cassette tapes?
    In theory, in practice, logically, reasonable, however you want to name it, there's really no justification behind eBook price being higher than printed version.
    From a cost to the publisher point of view, there shouldn't be any reason why an eBook is more expensive than a paper version.
    The only one remotely logical explanation would be that by buying legal eBook copy you are also paying up publisher's losses for those pirated eBooks circulating on the net a download away. But piracy isn't my problem and I shouldn't be forced to pay up the losses the publisher may incurred.
    Don't buy the eBook then. Vote with your wallet and maybe they'll take notice.
  • Options
    Used books are advertised as such, there's no "new" in description. Further, books' functionality doesn't decrease with the amount of usage like it is with cars.
    I'll ask for a reasonable explanation as to why you can't compare ebooks with used books and until then retire from further discussion.
  • Options
    Used books are advertised as such, there's no "new" in description.
    If a vendor is unscrupulous then they may advertise something used as new. I never said that you can't advertise a used book as used or a used book as mint condition like new but used. You came up with that idea yourself somehow.
    Further, books' functionality doesn't decrease with the amount of usage like it is with cars.
    There is still a difference between new and used. I hope you never run a shop or sell anything.
    I'll ask for a reasonable explanation as to why you can't compare ebooks with used books and until then retire from further discussion.
    I'm not explaining myself again since you seem to have difficulties in grasping this fairly simple concept.