Options

I hate wireless

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Forgive me if this should go in the wireless sub-forum; I don't visit there as I'm not studying for it (and with the frustrations it always gives me, I'm not certain I want to! - although perhaps it'd be an interesting challenge).

If any of you all are good at this, let me know exactly WHAT I am missing or doing wrong or ... well, anything!

I found out wii can do wireless the other night; and I already knew my psp can, so I decide to dig out an old d-link wireless router I had lying around to see if I can add some wireless to my existing topology. I decide to add it all the way at the back (yeah, I'm imaginative - my 'lab' is pretty much a straight line added to my existing home network). I've spent the last day trying to make ANYTHING work, with very very limited success.

A quick ascii of pertinent parts of the network. All networks are 192.168.X.0/24. I'll only list the 3rd octet as the network number below.
<--telco router<--1-->2600(R1)<--2-->2600(R2)<--0-->D-link
My home network (a couple switches, 4 PC's) is part of the .1.0 network.

Beyond everything else that's failed spectacularly, here's where I'm REALLY confused. Even though the wireless router (it's been configured as basically an access point, not a router according to the user manual) is part of the 192.168.0.0 network, and DHCP is turned OFF, my wireless adapter is being assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.17. I'd like to point out that as far as I'm aware, there is NO device on the .1.0 network that's wireless aware. The NIC shows default gateway of 192.168.1.1 of course... *AND IT WORKS*... Somehow... despite being assigned an address that's on a different subnet/network than the access point it's connecting to...

In a fit of "heck with it", I tried just manually assigning addresses from the 192.168.1.0 network to the WII and PSP and they DON'T work!

GRRR; ok I'll admit I'm just ranting and nobody has to respond; this is just really messing with my mind and thought I'd share. Of course if anybody has questions or input feel free. This is either going to break me or I'm going to break the router before I'm done. icon_rolleyes.gif
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think this should go in off topic lol.
  • Options
    Oops sorry; wasn't aware of an off-topic forum, although I just looked for and found it from your post. If anyone has access to move it feel free to do so.

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cant help with your wireless wii problem Im afraid although Im curious why you want wireless wii. If it's any consolation I hate wireless too and Im so happy I dont have to work with it. Endless trouble.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So the DLink router is acting strictly as an AP, and it's in the 192.168.0.0 network? It doesn't matter that no other device in the 192.168.0.0 network aren't "wireless aware," the AP is only bridging the wireless clients to the wired network. Nothing else cares, or needs to care, that there are wireless devices on that LAN.

The first thing you should look at is how that DLink is wired into the network. If you're only using it as an AP, you shouldn't have any cable connected to the WAN port. You only want a single cable from one of the LAN ports to the switch that the rest of that network connects to. This here would be my first guess as to what is wrong. If you're using the WAN port, its still trying to route, which it shouldn't be here.

Next, double check that the DLink really does have it's DHCP server turned off, because if the Wii is getting an address that it shouldn't, it is still getting it from somewhere.

Edit: I on the other hand, LOVE wireless. We'll get this worked out. :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've got my Wii hooked up wireless and rarely use it. We mostly play the different sports and I get my exercise with Biggest Loser (I hate Jillian Michaels..lol)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I finally managed to get it to work, and to actually get it to fit into the topology like I'd wanted it to. Lots of google searches showed lots of problems regarding it, and a gem of an article on how you could upgrade it's firmware using the firmware of a different router that made it much more stable. Doing so and setting everything back up (the flash reset all it's settings) and a few tweaks and it's now part of my .1.0 home network nicely.

Again; sorry for being off-topic. I'd only asked here cause I was confused how it was assigning (sometimes) .1.0 addresses even with DHCP off and sitting on the .0.0 network and (sometimes) those addresses would actually work. I'm going to write the whole thing off as "all screwed up", since once I got the new firmware everything (more or less) worked smoothly.

And no, I really don't care about having the wii or psp connected, other than the "hey look! I have google on my psp!"

[edit]: funny typo.