Options

Too soon??

Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
Recently passed the NA, and I would like to go on to the NP (already have some books on the way..) I'd like some input as to whether I may be shooting myself in the foot job wise. I currently have pretty much nothing to do with Cisco equipment at work. I am basically an onsite helpdesk person at our manufacturing division.

I have very few rights when it comes to our AD infrastructure...basically I can unlock accounts and create new machines in AD and giving people rights to different directories. All the "keys" are held by the guys at our corporate offices. And quite frankly they aren't giving up anything and don't have any intention of showing me anything. So although my Title is Network Analyst, I don't really have a whole lot to do with the network. There is one guy at our corporate office that has his NA and pretty much does all the backbone work.

I went to a Technical College a few years back and got a "Certificate" in networking. I really enjoy working with the equipment, but never get a chance to here. I wanted to get the CCNA to push myself to learn and to gain a little more confidence understanding and discussing the technology...There was nobody here that told me that I needed to get it etc..quite frankly there is no one here that even knows what the heck it is.

Back to my main question..the reason I'm concerned with pursuing the NP is that I really don't have hands on experience with Cisco (except for my pitiful lab..) I don't want to go for the next job and have them tell me well you've got the CCNP why the hell can't you do this. I mean I know I passed the CCNA, but I can guarantee that since I don't work with the stuff everyday that there are things covered on the exam, that I would probably have trouble with it in a production environment.

I like the job that I have in that I can carve out time to study here at work (sometimes). I wish the pay was a little better, but who the heck doesn't. I would really like to move toward more hands on networking, but with the job market the way it is, don't see a whole lot of those jobs.

I have kind of toyed with the idea of eventually getting back into teaching, maybe at a tech or two year college. I used to teach a few MS Apps classes at a high school and really enjoyed teaching. Is the NP gonna be worthless to someone like me, and maybe more to the question..could it end up biting me?

-Geetar28

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    This depends on what you want to do. If you want to go and get a more in depth networking job, then go for it. You get a ton of hands on experience running through the cert. If you want to teach networking then you can get the CCNP, but the requirements are higher to pass the instructor exams.

If you do end up just getting a networking job and your presented with stuff you don't know, just kind of fake it until you learn it. I know that sounds terrible, and not everyone can pull it off, but that's what I did here.

I was in the Air Force and hadn't done a lot of networking while I was in. So when I got hired I spent a ton of time reaquianting myself with everything, then after a month or so I was able to completely, and competently perform all my duties.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As odd as this is gong to sound, I prefer a canidate who knows where to look for answers that what an answer is. SO while experience is the big one... don't be worried that you may have to look things up on the job. Heck, I include some of my sources on my resume:)
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    It's never too early to start studying for CISCO icon_thumright.gif. I passed my CCNA back in October 2009, I ordered my Cisco CCNP Exam Library 4 days later, and started studying immediately when they came in and haven't looked back. If you enjoyed the CCNA studies and liked it, and think you'd like to go more in-depth. I say go for it!!! It can't hurt anything. Except the baby seals they kill to make your text book. LOL joking icon_lol.gif

Think of it this way. If you start studying for CCNP, your going to review some materials for your CCNA. You are going to have to continue labbing, which means the information is going to stay fresh in your mind, your going to learn more, which gives you more knowledge, which means your going to be better off on that interview!!!! I don't have hands on experience either in a production environment, I'm on a help desk right now, trying to get OFF the HD and into the networking side here or anywhere that will give me a shot. GO FOR IT!!
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    I know that sounds terrible, and not everyone can pull it off, but that's what I did here.
    It can be done, but's it's a double edged sword. If you can pull it off it's great experience. If you can't then you'll drown and probably end up being fired for over representing your skill set. Good luck getting a good reference from that job ;)
    I was in the Air Force
    I didn't know that, thanks for keeping my candy ass safe. *salute*
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Nuul wrote: »
    It can be done, but's it's a double edged sword. If you can pull it off it's great experience. If you can't then you'll drown and probably end up being fired for over representing your skill set. Good luck getting a good reference from that job ;)

Yeah don't over step the OJT statement. The guy they hired before me couldn't even assign a local username on a cisco device without pulling up some docs. So over reach a little, but not more than you can handle.
    I didn't know that, thanks for keeping my candy ass safe. *salute*

Don't get too excited, I just did RF work. My only deployment was to Africa so it was a pretty cake enlistment.

Although it did set me up nicely for diving into wireless, since I now have a deep understanding of radio technology, VHF and UHF specifically.
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    Don't get too excited, I just did RF work. My only deployment was to Africa so it was a pretty cake enlistment.

Nah, even if you were just a cog in the machine you were still helping out. I have mad respect for you guys. I was going to go in to the Air Force myself to do a similar position to yours but my girl friend (now my wife) had a pregnancy scare right before MEPS. I backed out of my enlistment since I hadn't signed the contact. The recruiter hounded me for months, to the point of threatening to come toss me in the trunk of his car.

Sorry for the thread hijack...now back to our normally scheduled programming.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    IMO you need to find a job that allows you to gain some Cisco experience. Once you get a good foundation built up go for the NP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    the next job
    Starting work on the CCNP could help refresh your knowledge for when you're interviewing for that NEXT JOB that gives you the chance to use your CCNA knowledge and skills (and grow your CCNP skills). If you're planning to test the job market any time soon, then starting on the ROUTE (or SWITCH) exams could be part of your plan for that new more Cisco related job.

If you don't have any immediate plan to look for a new job, then the CCNP probably isn't useful right now. In that case you might want to see if there are any certifications (or the knowledge & skills gained by study for the certification exams) that could help with your current job and maybe open up some more opportunities there.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the all feedback. I think I'm just gonna read as much as I can, and not really focus too much on taking the exams really. I've got the foundation books on their way and already have the cert guides. Right now I'm trying to get a handle on Wireshark and trying to get to where I can really use it effectively...eventually I will take the tests, but I find, for me at least, that this stuff really has to be absorbed over time if you get my meaning.

As far as the fake it til ya make it thing, that's what I did the first 6-8 months I was here. I have an English degree, so I know how to come up with Bullsh$%t. At least long enough until I can find the real answer. LOL.

I would really like to find a job working with Cisco or for that matter maybe SysAdmin type work, but those jobs are hard to come by, and quite frankly it seems that you really have to know someone "on the inside" before you can get your foot in the door. Unfortunately I know nobody, and being in a fairly small town...there really aren't too many people to know...icon_lol.gif

I guess I'm a little frustrated cause the day after I pass the ICND2, I was all on top of the world feeling great...and my first 3-4 calls were "My printer keeps jamming up.." "Why is Adobe doing this..." "If I do this with AutoCAD, why do I have to do this.." Kind of brings you down to earth real quick...I don't mind stuff like that I just wish the ratio was a little different...maybe 80% Network 20% user issues..

I am gonna keep my eyes and ears open to new job opportunities, and in the meantime keep on reading & learning. After Wireshark I'm gonna hit the Network Warrior Book, by that time the foundation guides should be here...then who knows. Again thanks for the feedback, this is the only way I can get a view from the top from you guys with all the certs and years of experience and it is extremely helpful.

-Geetar28