Options

HALP plz

shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm sitting for ICND2 AGAIN a week from today (6/14). I'm on a pretty good pace and I am pretty confident that I will pass this time. One thing I need some clarification on is some NAT shenanigans. I am pretty sure I understand inside local and inside global addresses. What I don't understand is the outside ones. Either I'm really stupid or the examples in my books and on Cisco's websites really are as terrible as I think they are. The way I understand it is:

Inside local: My internal IP address
Inside global: My external IP address
Outside local: Someone else's internal IP address
Outside global: Someone else's external IP address

What am I missing?
:study:

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    If you're NATing your traffic to the internet then all the outside local, and outside global entries will be the same. If you're natting in the other direction then they'll be different.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I asked this same question a bit ago Here. From the conversation that followed, it seems that it's a matter of perspective. If there's a connection between my PC and yours, and we're both being NATted,
    For ME, my private IP is inside local, my public IP is inside global, YOUR public IP is outside global and YOUR private IP is outside local.
    For YOU, it's the exact opposite.

This really didn't make any sense to me in anything more than a theoretical sense, since I have no idea if you're natted or not, so what purpose does an outside local serve?

If I got the wrong impression previously and have passed it on, someone will hopefully set us straight.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    I asked this same question a bit ago Here. From the conversation that followed, it seems that it's a matter of perspective. If there's a connection between my PC and yours, and we're both being NATted,
    For ME, my private IP is inside local, my public IP is inside global, YOUR public IP is outside global and YOUR private IP is outside local.
    For YOU, it's the exact opposite.

This really didn't make any sense to me in anything more than a theoretical sense, since I have no idea if you're natted or not, so what purpose does an outside local serve?

If I got the wrong impression previously and have passed it on, someone will hopefully set us straight.

This is exactly my understanding.
  • Options
    That other thread did it. Pretty sure I got it now. Much thanks.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Mmm. That is a really good link.
    Let me try if I understood what that link explanation about NAT.

The Outside Local is the IP Address of the outside host that is NATted to the Local LAN.
    The Outside Global is the IP Address of the outside host.
    The Inside Local is the IP address of host in the LAN
    The Inside Global is the IP address of a host that is NATted to the outside of the network.
    Am I right?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold