Options

advice for my resume

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have a fake resume here with all the important things changed around. Should I put workstudy next to the job I had at school?? I plan to put it in .pdf format when it's done.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be completely honest, your resume does not flow nor does it "sell you" to a potential employer. The format is also outdated. Take a look at this:

IT Analyst Resume Example

I redid my resume in a format similar to that one. I included some referral quotes from past co-workers who recommended me. You need to grab people within the first half of your resume.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is really no need for your High School to be on there.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For references, a common practice is to put "Available upon request" to keep their privacy. I feel as if the centering of the header is off by a couple spaces right after your name and ending after your email. In the past, a professional summary instead of an objective has worked for me. Once you graduate college, you do not have to put your high school on there because naturally a high school degree is a pre-req for college icon_lol.gif. I feel like if the font were 11, it'd be easier on the eyes.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would move your education further down, and move your experience further up. Rogue2Shadow is right, just put "Available upon Request."
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would leave references off altogether (I do) and as far as the objectives you should either leave off or at least reword it to make it more readable and interesting. The reference to work study could be left on or not, it probably wouldn't matter.
    Most of the others above comments sound good for you to listen to. Anything you did with computers or networks expand upon, non IT stuff (what's a high low?) should be kept to a minimum. Most important expand upon your IT skills, this is something you want to stand out, a lot of what you put in as having done at one of your jobs could have been mentioned in the skills section.
    You mentioned customer service way down towards the bottom, it's very important and should be moved up and probably mentioned and expanded upon in the skills/abilities section. If you're going for a help desk job then customer service experience is probably almost as important as your computer skills. This is something you should mention at least twice in your resume (in the skills section and for the particular job) since most resumes are just skimmed through and customer service is big.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!! I made the resume when I was in highschool. I wasn't sure if it was still used today but I've looked up other resume styles and found a few so I just left it as it was. I honestly didn't have enough room so I made the font smaller. I didn't want things to get cut off and flow into the second page.

Would this format work too??
    Resume Samples - Executive, College and Professional Resumes
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****