Options

Certification path for youngster?

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 16 and currently studying for my A+

What would be the best path when it comes to certifications?
I have 2 years left of high school.
I was thinking network+ and security+ if I'm really motivated before 2011 due to CompTIA's new renewal policy. I plan to major in IT and business in college. I wish to one day get my PMP.

What do you guys think?
A+
Network+
Security+
What next?

I'd be glad doing anything in IT when I grow older. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Have you any idea what area of IT you would like to get into? The CompTIA exams are certainly a good place to start. I know it can be difficult to decide what to do later on unless you have exposure to these things.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    CompTIA exams are a great starting place. A+ would be a good start, then follow that up with the Net+. Once you get your hands dirty in IT, you can figure out the path you want to take. IT is a big field with a lot of choices.

I will tell you, instead of focusing on the certifications get some hands on experience. When I was about the same age as you I did computer repair and basic networking for people I knew. You'll find that if you are good at what you do, people will spread your name around. I made some good pocket money and gained a lot of valuable experience.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would just get the A+ and do IT as a hobby and focus on college. No need burning yourself out with extra studying for certs. Keep doing IT as a hobby and keep it fun.
  • Options
    2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Once you graduate high school you always have an option of the Air Force Reserves or Army Reserves. They both have very good IT/Telecom jobs that will help you brake the "gotta have experience to get a job, gotta have a job to get experience".

I joined the Air National Guard out of high school and just reenlisted for another 6 years. Best decision of my life. After 4 years of hard work & learning my job (Satellite Communications) I was able to get a job as a Satellite Engineer making over 60K a year.

It's not for everyone, but it's always an option to consider if you want to leap-frog the Call Center jobs.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For this year, try to get A+ and Security+. Forget the Network+ if you're planning to take CCNA. You can read the book because it will definitely teach you the fundamentals of networking but CCNA will cover a pretty good chunk of it that's why CCNA holds more value to me than Network+. To be honest, I read three different books for Network+ but never got a chance to take the exam. For that price, I'll get CCNA and I'll get more hits on my resume than Network+. That's just me.
    :study: Life+