Options

Multiple Job offers Pros/Cons

luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in the process of relocating and searching for a new job. I currently have 2 prospects that I am having a hard time deciding, although I am leaning towards one more than the other.

1. Enterprise lvl Senior Virtualization Engineer - Large Company
• Pros
- ~$30k more a year
- Specialized job responsibilities (I am in charge of everything now; network, servers, voip, san, vmware, bkup, you name it)
- Large environment (~1100 servers), bigger IT shop
- Opportunity to move within the IT department to Networking, SAN, etc. if I get bored
- Fortune 500 - 5billion/yr (10billion in the next 5 years)
• Cons
- Commute, roughly 1hr 20 mins
- I have never worked for such a large company before
- High stress

2. Senior lvl Network/Server Administrator – Medium Company
• Pros
- ~$30k more a year
- Medium environment, smaller IT shop
- Shorter commute (20-30 mins)
- Possibly less hectic
• Cons
- 6 month contract to hire
- No room to move in the company
- Same responsibilities I have now

I am leaning more towards the 1st position for the experience and great opportunity it provides, but with money being within $5k/yr the shorter commute is appealing.

Does anyone have advice or experience with either they would like to share to help me make the best decision?

I should also mention I am a family man, 2 kids now and hopefully one more within the next year.

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I'd never want that long of a commute, so I'd take the second job.

If you're okay with the commute though, take the first. It will probably be less fun and you'll deal with more bullshit, but it will look a lot better on your resume and theoretically help your career.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I think the first job would be better for you career. Can you get them to offer you some more money or some relocation assistance to help get you closer to the job (assuming you don't have an issue with moving and such). If not the second job is the way to go.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Well I think the first job would be better for you career. Can you get them to offer you some more money or some relocation assistance to help get you closer to the job (assuming you don't have an issue with moving and such). If not the second job is the way to go.

I currently don't live anywhere near either position. I am moving to the area, but where I want to live (due to excellent school districts for the kids) is the issue for the commute. There is no relocation assistance because I am looking to move, it is nothing forced on me, which I have no issues in picking up the moving expenses as these are already budgeted.

The commute is one of my biggest issues right now, but I will have the opportunity to set my schedule to come in before or after 8am (traffic time) and reduce the commute considerably. I will also have the option to work from home 1 day a week.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I'd never want that long of a commute, so I'd take the second job.

If you're okay with the commute though, take the first. It will probably be less fun and you'll deal with more bullshit, but it will look a lot better on your resume and theoretically help your career.

Agree with all of this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    luckybob wrote: »
    I currently don't live anywhere near either position. I am moving to the area, but where I want to live (due to excellent school districts for the kids) is the issue for the commute. There is no relocation assistance because I am looking to move, it is nothing forced on me, which I have no issues in picking up the moving expenses as these are already budgeted.

The commute is one of my biggest issues right now, but I will have the opportunity to set my schedule to come in before or after 8am (traffic time) and reduce the commute considerably. I will also have the option to work from home 1 day a week.

A buck twenty a day is almost 3 hours of driving a day. Keep that in mind. I am not sure where you are in the country but I hate my 40 minute commute. It is particularly bad on Fridays. Have both places made an offer officially? If so, then I would go with the closer one. If not try to see if you can get some more money out of the first company, maybe an extra 5 to 10 four your trouble. If you are moving into the area and you don't know it very well, the first few days could take you about a buck forty to get there which is damn near four hours a day. Personally I think that is worth an extra 10k lol.

EDIT: I reread you post. Have you had an interview with either one? 'Cause if neither one has talked with you, I would go after number one, especially if you need the money. Those first couple of weeks the gas would be brutal on your funds.
  • Options
    A buck twenty a day is almost 3 hours of driving a day. Keep that in mind. I am not sure where you are in the country but I hate my 40 minute commute. It is particularly bad on Fridays. Have both places made an offer officially? If so, then I would go with the closer one. If not try to see if you can get some more money out of the first company, maybe an extra 5 to 10 four your trouble. If you are moving into the area and you don't know it very well, the first few days could take you about a buck forty to get there which is damn near four hours a day. Personally I think that is worth an extra 10k lol.

The 1st job is in Dallas, where the second would be in Ft. Worth. I am looking at living in the Ft. Worth Area. I travel up there all the time, so I am very familiar with the area.

The travel has the potential to be bad, but if I work a 7-4 schedule, I might be able to miss a lot of it if I just head out at 6 every morning. These are some of the things I will work out in the event I do go with the position.

I have already asked for $10k over what was offered because of the stress level and commute. The other position just happened to start off at the same pay, and I have not negotiated it beyond letting them know what the minimum I would accept to even consider the position.
  • Options
    hmmm....Can you afford to travel (both in terms of money and sanity)? How about you wife? Would she be ok with your commute? What I am saying is, would you want to be that far away from your wife (who is expecting correct?) or would you rather be closer in case of an emergency?

I've thought about it some more AND if it were me, I would take number two, EVEN THOUGH I know that number 1 COULD be better career wise.
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My question to you (for you to think about) is how happy are you with what you currently do and are you looking to move up? If you are content with the level you are at then the 2nd job sounds great. If you are bored and looking to move up then the best option is probably the 1st job. Otherwise you will probably take job 2, get bored, and start job searching again. Only you can answer the questions to wanting more stress, more responsibilities, can handle the drive, etc. Give it some thought.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I'd go with the shorter commute job.
  • Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd go with the shorter commute job.

+1 - if I actually had to pick.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    There is something to be said about being a big fish in a smaller pond.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is something to be said about being a big fish in a smaller pond.

+1. The second job will be better for now.
  • Options
    SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    I notice one thing that people are leaving out

the 2nd job = 6 month contract

While, i don't think even if the contract ends and they decide not to keep you (haha) that it hurts you because i'm sure you can still find another job, BUT, with the 2nd job you also have the option to decline to stay and find a better job if it turns out that you don't like it, or if you want a different kind of job. Either way, i'd pick this for the shorter commute and the fact that you don't have to make a commitment beyond 6 months unless you want to or if they ask you to stay on longer. 6 months should also give you plenty of time to find another job should you want to.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    hmmm....Can you afford to travel (both in terms of money and sanity)? How about you wife? Would she be ok with your commute? What I am saying is, would you want to be that far away from your wife (who is expecting correct?) or would you rather be closer in case of an emergency?

I've thought about it some more AND if it were me, I would take number two, EVEN THOUGH I know that number 1 COULD be better career wise.

With the pay increase I could afford the travel without issues in regards to money. The fact I would be further away from my family in the event of an emergency does weigh heavy, but discussing it with my wife, she seems to be ok with it. We are not expecting right now, but plan to have another kid once we get settled.
  • Options
    btowntech wrote: »
    My question to you (for you to think about) is how happy are you with what you currently do and are you looking to move up? If you are content with the level you are at then the 2nd job sounds great. If you are bored and looking to move up then the best option is probably the 1st job. Otherwise you will probably take job 2, get bored, and start job searching again. Only you can answer the questions to wanting more stress, more responsibilities, can handle the drive, etc. Give it some thought.

I am happy with my current position. I am not moving to find a different job, I am moving because my wife and I want to move to DFW. I love my current job and the people I live with. I think I am under paid for what I do, but I have a lot of freedoms.

There is some stress I am worried about, which is possibly being the only guy that handles all aspects, but nothing more than what I deal with on a day to day basis now.
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    I notice one thing that people are leaving out

the 2nd job = 6 month contract

While, i don't think even if the contract ends and they decide not to keep you (haha) that it hurts you because i'm sure you can still find another job, BUT, with the 2nd job you also have the option to decline to stay and find a better job if it turns out that you don't like it, or if you want a different kind of job. Either way, i'd pick this for the shorter commute and the fact that you don't have to make a commitment beyond 6 months unless you want to or if they ask you to stay on longer. 6 months should also give you plenty of time to find another job should you want to.

The 6mo contract isn't a huge deal, it is company policy and I would be replacing the current guy. The 6mo is for him to bring me up to speed with what the daily routine is. The 6mo contract still offers insurance, so while it does sound bad being 6mo contract to hire, I don't think it is necessarily a deal breaker.
  • Options
    I do appreciate all the responses and the discussion.

I am left with the commuting issue and whether or not I want to work at an enterprise level or keep things simple like I have it now.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do appreciate all the responses and the discussion.

I am left with the commuting issue and whether or not I want to work at an enterprise level or keep things simple like I have it now.
    Take the first after negotiating higher pay, then move closer and send your kids to a private school.

If you're set on living in a particular area, look into public transportation options. I commute by train and bicycle, so even though it's an hour each way, I get to study, read the newspaper, sleep, etc., plus get my daily exercise, as part of my commute.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The first looks better to me by far if you take the commute out of the picture.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Take the first after negotiating higher pay, then move closer and send your kids to a private school.

If you're set on living in a particular area, look into public transportation options. I commute by train and bicycle, so even though it's an hour each way, I get to study, read the newspaper, sleep, etc., plus get my daily exercise, as part of my commute.

I have looked into TRE and the new Light Rail, but there is not good station location from FW to Dallas. I would still have to drive and deal with some traffic.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I recently moved to FTW and work near DFW (east side) and depending on where in Dallas you would be working and where you plan to get a house in FTW, it may not be that long of a commute, barring accidents. For me I have about a hour commute and its not that bad for me. Once they open up 114 around DFW with all the construction It should be around 45 minutes on my commute. That's just going to Irving, so it's not bad.

All in all, if you can deal with the commute do the one that intrigues you the most for the job and your career.
  • Options
    I recently moved to FTW and work near DFW (east side) and depending on where in Dallas you would be working and where you plan to get a house in FTW, it may not be that long of a commute, barring accidents. For me I have about a hour commute and its not that bad for me. Once they open up 114 around DFW with all the construction It should be around 45 minutes on my commute. That's just going to Irving, so it's not bad.

All in all, if you can deal with the commute do the one that intrigues you the most for the job and your career.

It would be around Southlake and the commute would be to downtown Dallas.
  • Options
    Well I just got my first official offer, and it is for company 1. They raised my pay to what I was asking for and so far we have a verbal agreement. I should have my official offer after a background and drug test.

I spoke with the 2nd company today too and I should have my official offer from them next week.

Still having a hard time deciding, but as of now my wife and family are pushing me towards company 1.

I will keep everyone updated when I get news.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I just got my first official offer, and it is for company 1. They raised my pay to what I was asking for and so far we have a verbal agreement. I should have my official offer after a background and drug test.

I spoke with the 2nd company today too and I should have my official offer from them next week.

Still having a hard time deciding, but as of now my wife and family are pushing me towards company 1.

I will keep everyone updated when I get news.

Okay some things to look at.
    First Job:
    More pay
    Longer time from family
    Growth but more bullcrap
    Room for improvement

Second Job:
    Doing what you do now
    Shorter Commute
    Closer to family
    No Growth
    No room for improvement

These things to take into consideration. Now my thoughts are like this in my life:

1. Religion and Family
    2. Career and Education
    3. Friends

So I always take into consideration when I start a new job how it is going to effect my children and my wife because I never had my dad around when I was younger or my mother. I enjoy spending alot of time with my kids. It really depends on what type of person you are.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Okay some things to look at.
    First Job:
    More pay
    Longer time from family
    Growth but more bullcrap
    Room for improvement

Second Job:
    Doing what you do now
    Shorter Commute
    Closer to family
    No Growth
    No room for improvement

These things to take into consideration. Now my thoughts are like this in my life:

1. Religion and Family
    2. Career and Education
    3. Friends

So I always take into consideration when I start a new job how it is going to effect my children and my wife because I never had my dad around when I was younger or my mother. I enjoy spending alot of time with my kids. It really depends on what type of person you are.

I have my own list of import things in my life, and making the transition to either position will benefit my family.

1. Family (no religion)
    2. Career
    3. Friends

I will be making personal sacrifices to make the commute not interfere with my family time. I will take the 7-4 schedule so that I will be home with my family the same time I am now. It will either leave me with less sleep or less personal time on the weekdays, but I can live with that.
  • Options
    So it looks like I am going to take job 1.

It came down to a 6mo contract to hire verses a permanent position. Even though the contract to hire position promises the same pay range, there are no guarantees I will even be hired on. I will also be gaining some great experience with the larger company, which will help me to find jobs in the future (if I get worn out by the commute, or want to further my career).

I will be starting July 6th! So much to do between now and then.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. It really helped me to pick the job that will work best for me and my family (that and my wife told me to take job 1).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So it looks like I am going to take job 1.

It came down to a 6mo contract to hire verses a permanent position. Even though the contract to hire position promises the same pay range, there are no guarantees I will even be hired on. I will also be gaining some great experience with the larger company, which will help me to find jobs in the future (if I get worn out by the commute, or want to further my career).

I will be starting July 6th! So much to do between now and then.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. It really helped me to pick the job that will work best for me and my family (that and my wife told me to take job 1).
    Good call, I wish you the best!!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bad commutes are the worst! im glad i am at a new place where i can take the side streets and arrive in 20 minutes or 12 in the freeway with no traffic. icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX