Options

Thinking of Leaving IT

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
For the past couple of months I've been thinking about my future and where I want to be. My goal has always been security, but with the economy and a lack of experience I don't see it happening. I've also been suffering from loving the people I work with, but hating the work. Computers have always been a hobby that I loved and I thought because of that doing it for a leaving was the perfect. But thus far I have learned that it isn't always the case as I hate what I am doing. My heart just isn't in it anymore so I am pretty sure I am moving on. Anyone else transition out of IT? Did you find it to be a good move? Anyone else thinking of getting out of IT? I don't totally regret my decision to go into IT because no matter what I do it can definitely help me in the future. But it is nice to think I might get my hobby back.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    passcert23passcert23 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometimes I feel like that too. I work as a gov't contractor doing desktop support. Sometimes I wish I was on the other seat and having some1 come and fix my problems. My users are finance, accounting, or administrative workers. I suck in finance/accounting and I don't think admin work pays that great. I want to land a sysadmin type of position soon...
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you feel like doing something, go for it! Just remember it's always easier to find a job when you already have one, especially right now.

Have you given any thought what you move into?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I honestly couldn't imagine doing anything else.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What stopped me from throwing it all away a few years back was realising that I wouldn't be able to make the same money in any other job because I don't have any experience/qualifications/background in any other skilled area. I'd have to start from the ground all over again.

If you do that's great; just don't trade in your career for a mere job.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got a job in retail when I was a junior in high school to pay my car insurance and worked that same job all the way through my B.S. in Information Systems. I suffered from the same thing you have...I loved the people I worked with, but the work made every day more miserable than the last. In the interest of not hijacking the thread, long sob story short, when I finally got out of that job I had to take a pay cut, but I was infinitely more satisfied with the work, my friends and family could immediately tell a difference in the way I sounded on the phone...it was like night and day. When it comes to something you have to deal with for the majority of every day, happiness > money all day long.
    :study:
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    What ever you do do not run away from your problems, fight it
    !!!!
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I was going to move from IT to pre-med and shoot hard for medical school. Some rough things kept that from happening and now that they did, I've found a new appreciation for my job. I look at it differently.

I would say take a serious step back and give yourself some time to be a third party to your life and see if what you're doing is worthwhile. If it isn't, check out, cause life is too short to be doing **** you don't want to be.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    For the past couple of months I've been thinking about my future and where I want to be. My goal has always been security, but with the economy and a lack of experience I don't see it happening.

I'm surprised to see this coming from you; you seemed like someone who was all-in.

How long have you been trying? It took me 6-7 years to get to where I am (that's admittedly on the extended side of things as some of those jobs got stretched out due to personal/family issues).

I'm not sure why you feel the economy is affecting IT/InfoSec more than anything else. I'm pretty sure you'd be facing similar challenges in pretty much any other profession. What are you looking at that's not affected by economic problems?

Your experience and credentials aren't that bad. We just hired two new analysts that have less of both. We'll take on people who show promise and train them in what we do. Many other companies do as well. Where are you located? Are you willing/able to relocate?
    I've also been suffering from loving the people I work with, but hating the work. Computers have always been a hobby that I loved and I thought because of that doing it for a leaving was the perfect. But thus far I have learned that it isn't always the case as I hate what I am doing. My heart just isn't in it anymore so I am pretty sure I am moving on.

Everything you're saying seems to be related to this specific job and not IT in general.
    Anyone else transition out of IT? Did you find it to be a good move?

I'm pretty sure those people don't read the forums anymore ;)
    I don't totally regret my decision to go into IT because no matter what I do it can definitely help me in the future. But it is nice to think I might get my hobby back.

Like I already said, this seems to be out of frustration for your current job and not your career in general. What you decide to do here will affect your life for decades. How would you feel looking back and wondering if you could have had your dream job if you toughed it out for another year or two?

I'm not trying to talk you into staying in IT; you need to do what's meaningful and interesting to you. In fact, I'd prefer you to leave since that would mean less competition for me ;) I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like you have a lot of concrete reasons for changing careers (at least from what you've said), and you're really just frustrated and/or burnt out.
  • Options
    I've actually been thinking about becoming a nurse. I just have a couple of pre-reqs to complete to get into a program. I'd have to wait till next September, but I have a solid GPA and never had trouble in science. Job market in my area is booming and even three years from now should still be growing. As for trying for security jobs, I've been trying for a year, but by applying for jobs that had some security attached. My current job was suppose to be as a NOC Analyst. I was suppose to answer phones, create tickets (after doing an initial triage), and monitor all NOC devices (servers, firewalls, routers, switches). I do get to play with a lot of different technology, which is nice, but at this point I've been doing all of the above and helpdesk work. I took the job thinking I moved out of the helpdesk, but got sucked right back in.

I'm in NJ, but with my student loans I'm hard pressed to move out of the state (live rent free at the moment). In my area you can throw a rock and hit 20 out of work IT people looking for jobs. This has translated to low pay and fighting with guys who have 10+ years of experience. I have a year to get my ducks in a row so maybe things could change, but more and more I just see IT isn't for me. Thanks for the advice guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Damn thats a shame man but i agree with alot of what dynamik has said there. i would step back for a second and analyse it like he says. these roles sometimes take many months/years to achieve. but at the end of the day do whats best for you. just make sure you arent "stuck in a rut" in your current job role and are just demoralised. i sometimes feel like you do currently as i feel that every job i go for its all lies and BS and they never turn out to be even remotely close to what they are advertised as!

On a side note, i know quite a few people who are nurses/carers and they gain HUGE amounts of self satisfaction and achievement from their jobs, i get jack sh*t from mine. thats something i have always been very very envious of! personally i dont think that i will get that until many years when i make it to a senior level but sometimes i question if i'll even get to that stage. so your not alone in many aspects.

Good luck mate, your gutt feeling will help you out with this one!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Everything you're saying seems to be related to this specific job and not IT in general.

Like I already said, this seems to be out of frustration for your current job and not your career in general. What you decide to do here will affect your life for decades. How would you feel looking back and wondering if you could have had your dream job if you toughed it out for another year or two?.

I was reading through this thread and just about to pick up on what Dynamik has mentioned here (But he beat me to it). I totally agree with the points I have quoted above from Dynamik. It sounds like your current job role and location seem to be influencing your decision heavily.

Obviously the decision is yours, but make sure you are not confusing your current job with I.T. jobs in general. I have never thought of leaving I.T. before, however I have been in a job I hated. It was a server/network admin job and I was frustrated and generally hated going to work everyday.

I spoke to peers and they said the things I didn't like came with the territory, however I kept saying to myself "No.. that must be wrong, because other people in a similar job, don't go through all this crap I see everyday". I was successful in getting another job (After sticking it out for 12 months and getting my MCSA) with the same job role but bigger support coverage, more technologies, same money (In all honesty I would have taken a pay cut just to get out, so I was happy to get the same pay), but totally different location. The place I moved to worked totally different from the previous place and I felt I had found a lot of the things I was looking for, that were not in my previous place (Not all but most).

As you can see our current surroundings and circumstances always have the most vital impact on our assessment of the times and short term decision making. It is good to ask these kind of questions on a good forum like this one, to get varied opinions and responses (As you have already received) before making your own decision. I am just trying to give you some food for thought, and illustrate that you may be looking at this with tunnel vision, because you just need to get out. You may not be and if so, that is fair enough.

Above all feel confident and happy with the decision you make, and if you want to leave I.T. then go with no regrets and no "What ifs..." in your head. However we all know the amount of changes I.T. is going through on a daily basis, not just at the rate which technology is advancing, but on how organisations and businesses are adapting to it. I think there is real opportunity in I.T. but it can be bit of a waiting game, and I totally understand that some circumstances dictate that you simply cannot wait.

Best of luck to you my friend!
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I would be inclined to move arround in IT before quitting, not all jobs in IT are equal, not all companies or mangers are equal either, I am very easily bored and out of the 12 years I have been doing IT I have only stayed in 1 permi job which lasted 4 years (great company) So here I am contracting, 1 month in and bored again, I am so glad I do not have to stay here.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I've actually been contemplating this myself as I look down the various purely tech career paths and nothing really jumps out as something I'd be happy going to work to do long-term. I'm currently doing a tech related MS as well as an AAS in accounting and both should be completed by the end of the year. Afterwards I plan on looking for jobs in the business / financial analysis or maybe the application support arenas. I'll also continue to pursue tech / business certs that relate to my job as the opportunities present themselves. And if that path leads me completely out of IT, then so be it.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Main reason I want to stay in IT is due to the fact I can change career paths in IT and my previous experience still helps.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    What stopped me from throwing it all away a few years back was realising that I wouldn't be able to make the same money in any other job because I don't have any experience/qualifications/background in any other skilled area. I'd have to start from the ground all over again.

If you do that's great; just don't trade in your career for a mere job.

+1 on this one.

It is the issue to think about. On the other hand, if you are fairly new to te game, there is no reason to do something you hate. Many of us, don't see any way we could ever leave IT. Not because of will, but because in the end we are not willing to do away with the paycheck.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't have to leave the field to get other jobs. PMP, Business analyst, strategic consultants and lots of other job descriptions all fall under IT without having to know how to use a computer besides excel and project.
  • Options
    As always guys thanks for the advice! I will give it sometime for sure, but I can at least say I have left one job to come to this one. They are night and day from each other (as far as the workplace goes) and I have about the same feeling. But as I said I have a year before I could even start nursing school and perhaps in that time something will change!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are at the bottom of the ladder right now, of course it sucks. I'm sure being at the bottom sucks for any career field. You get all the crap work no one else wants. I'd suggest you give it some time so you can work you way up into a more enjoyable position.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not everyone is cut out for IT. It is very demanding. Things are always changing, and since IT is the core of almost all of business, a lot of stress gets placed on the people to fix the problems so that the rest of the business can go to work.

It is unfortunate that you don't have a passion for what you're doing. My best advice for you is to sit down and decide what you want to do. There is no use leaving IT if you don't already have something planned out to do.

Also consider that once you get out, it might not be easy to get back in if you change your mind. As others have already said, maybe you just need to work in a different part of IT for awhile. Or maybe just with a different employer.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I don't know how to do anything else
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My best advice would be to start putting yourself out there to see if you can improve your current situation. After five years in my last job I was ready to kill myself, never mind quit IT. I'm much happier doing what I am now. At some point you just have to force yourself into a change of pace. You clearly have the ambition to get certs and apply them. As Dynamik said, we recently hired a few guys with less skills than you have. If you are portable and can re-locate for work there are tons of opportunities out there.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Paul Boz, I had to relocate to get a job in networking. If I stayed to my 'home' state then I'm probably stuck in the same department. If you're willing to relocate then I am sure you'll find a job. Heck, we have seven Security job opening right now and will soon be nine in a month.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    zerglings wrote: »
    I agree with Paul Boz, I had to relocate to get a job in networking. If I stayed to my 'home' state then I'm probably stuck in the same department. If you're willing to relocate then I am sure you'll find a job. Heck, we have seven Security job opening right now and will soon be nine in a month.

I had to move as well, and I am so glad that I did. I now work for a huge company that has buildings and workers all over the globe. If I had stayed in Michigan I am not sure I would have the opportunities that I have now.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had to move as well, and I am so glad that I did. I now work for a huge company that has buildings and workers all over the globe. If I had stayed in Michigan I am not sure I would have the opportunities that I have now.

Exactly, it's hard to compete in the SF and Silicon Valley area when you don't have experience and that was the reason why I left.
    :study: Life+