Options

Apache question

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi guys hoping some one can help.

I have set up a web site that for one page uses basic authentication.

I i am logged in to the server via ssh at the same time as I open the page, it all works fine.

however if I close my SSH connection and then refresh the page or open a new window and go to it i get the following error.

"Internal Server Error (500)
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@devilwah.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
"

what's going on? the account I log on to the server with has no rights to the webpages.

here is the site config file.
<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin webmaster@xx.com
ServerName xx.com

# Indexes + Directory Root.
DirectoryIndex index.html
DocumentRoot /home/WWW/pages/
<Directory /home/WWW/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
Options -Indexes
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

# CGI Directory
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/WWW/cgi-bin/
<Location /cgi-bin>
Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

<Directory /home/WWW/pages/lilith>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "testing"
AuthUserFile /home/****/passwords
Require user Lilith lilith
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

its the Lilith directory causing all the issues the rest works fine.

all file and folders in WWW/ are owned and have full access by the apache user.

Any ideas ?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You doing port forwarding or proxying via your SSH connection?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    doh! nope. i had put the password file in my own home folder so the web server could not see it when i was not logged in. my account is in the webuser group so for some reson me being loged in made it work. moved it to a public folder and set web user to have read permissions and all is fine. moral of story is check thee logs!!! cheers for the comments though. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.