Options

Unable to connect to remote server

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
i have serverA and ServerB. On serverA i can connect locally and remotely to serverB. On serverB i can connect locally but not remotely to serverA, when trying to establish a connection to serverA i keep recieving this error message:

I am using SQL 2005 Server and Express editions.

A connection was successfully established with the server, but an error occured during the pre-login handshake. When connecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named pipes Provider, error 0- No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, error: 223)

I have checked in the configuration manager that TCP/IP is enabled. There is obviously something i am missing as i can connect one way but not the other, but i cannot see any difference with the setups.

Comments

• Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Have you checked to make sure the ports are open on the firewall?
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Ok i have just found the issue, if i right click on the database and goto connections the allow remote connections box was not ticked, but when i ticked the box i recieve an error message stating that this edition of SQL does not allow you to have remote connections!! Crazy. This database is on SQL 2005 Express.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    That error you are getting is strange. I don't believe I have ever come across it.
    How are you trying to connect to the server? Is the latest Native CLient installed on Server A? That was something I needed to install when I used php to access the SQL Server