Options

How do you sardine several certifications in a resume?

HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do you do when one line is not enough to put your name, degree and certifications?

For example:

John Smith, B.S.I.T, CISSP, CCSP, CCNP, CCNA, MCSE 2003: Security, MCSE 2000: Security, MCSA 2003: Security, MCSA 2000: Security, Security+, Network+, A+

Which format do you find to be most effective? And for that matter, which resume template do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    What do you do when one line is not enough to put your name, degree and certifications?

For example:

John Smith, B.S.I.T, CISSP, CCSP, CCNP, CCNA, MCSE 2003: Security, MCSE 2000: Security, MCSA 2003: Security, MCSA 2000: Security, Security+, Network+, A+
    Then you list them vertically, which you should do anyway in a resume. If you would put those certs in one 'sentence', i.e. on a business card etc, you shouldn't list CCNA (CCNP and CCSP require CCNA so it is implied) and there's no need to list the MCSAs either if you're MCSE:security twice and CISSP and CCSP.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I never understood why people list MCSA and MCSE...
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181

well it makes me feel like I have big head. LOL!

In all seriousness though, I feel that it is a certification that is worked for and earned and people wants to show it off. On the resume, MCSA 2000 is really not needed when the title MCSE 2000 has already been obtained. The same goes for CCNA when one has CCNP.
  • Options
    hhisgett wrote:

well it makes me feel like I have big head. LOL!

In all seriousness though, I feel that it is a certification that is worked for and earned and people wants to show it off. On the resume, MCSA 2000 is really not needed when the title MCSE 2000 has already been obtained. The same goes for CCNA when one has CCNP.

I see their point. I also see your point.

I often see authors of books list their CCNAs and MCSAs. Then again, you don't really need to list them. But you also have to keep in mind that the HR people looking over your resume might not know what all these certifications mean. They might know of the CCNA but be completely ignorant when it comes to the CCSP. That's why I think it's beneficial to list all of the certs one possesses in both places within the resume.

I was looking for the advice of anyone who has a long list of certs and lists them in their resume.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    keen wrote:
    But you also have to keep in mind that the HR people looking over your resume might not know what all these certifications mean.

Why anyone would want to work for a place where they let the people who don't know what certifications mean choose your fate is beyond me. In a few years I cannot even see myself working for someone else.
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    garv221 wrote:
    Why anyone would want to work for a place where they let the people who don't know what certifications mean choose your fate is beyond me. In a few years I cannot even see myself working for someone else.

They are out there by the hundreds. I see it all the time.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    keen wrote:
    But you also have to keep in mind that the HR people looking over your resume might not know what all these certifications mean.

Well, the HR departments of bigger companies have little knowledge in any particular area since usually they are the first people who see the resumes of all people applying for all positions available. They are the gate keepers.

On a side note, it's hard starting your own business without having several years of experience in the corporate world. Ultimately our goals are the same, I'm just further back on the road.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    hhisgett wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

They are out there by the hundreds. I see it all the time.

This is soooo true...I did an interview several years back with and HR person...She asked if I knew anthing about Windows NT Workstaion and Server 4.0...I told her that I had my MCSE+I in NT4...she just gave me the deer in the headlights look...and said well, do you know anything about NT server or workstation........

haha...I about fell out of my chair...I eventually drew her a picture with crayons....that seemed to help her out... icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    MooshMoosh Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's rather silly to say you have an MSCA and an MSCE. To me when you say MSCE, it tells me you have already gone beyond MSCA levels. Its like telling someone I passed 12th grade, 11th grade, 10th grade, etc. Saying you passed 12th grade is sufficient, I know you passed the other grades to get there.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Its like telling someone I passed 12th grade, 11th grade, 10th grade, etc. Saying you passed 12th grade is sufficient,

Exactly.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I don't think it improves you chances in an interview, although I don't think it hurts either. I guess it depends on the person. Myself, I list what I have earned, it makes me feel good.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would tend to agree that you don't need to list certifications that are pre-reqs for higher certs you have obtained, but I do see one area where this might be beneficial. A lot of companies use software to quickly scan for certain characteristics and qualifications that they deem important for the job. There might be a situation where an uninformed HR person tells it to flag any resumes that have MCSA, but not if it has a MCSE or vice versa.
  • Options
    If that's the case, they will most likely list it as a job requirement...or I should hope so at least.
  • Options
    shadeedshadeed Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have strong professional relationships with a great deal of hiring managers and I'll tell you that the way your resume is presented is
    probably the most overlooked aspect of the IT game.

You want your resume to be as short and to the point as possible,
    don't list 5 certifications that are in the same genre,
    list the ones that show your versatility and the HEIGHT of your skill
    level. If you are MCSE 2000, DON'T list that you have A+, it's a
    waste of space.

They have a nice circular file where they put IT resumes that are not
    concise and to the point :)
    Taking over the IT world...one cert at a time.