Options

Ccnp tshoot faq

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
Well, I figured that I would put together an FAQ for individuals that are preparing to take the TSHOOT exam and to do to prepare for this exam. This post in no way violates NDA, but gives recommendations on what you should study and how you can best prepare for the 642-832 exam. Below are the details from my blog that I created on my new blog website. I'm hoping I could make a sticky here. icon_thumright.gif

Table of Contents:

1. Topology
2. TSHOOT Information
3. Should I purchase the TSHOOT Certification Guide?
4. How to prepare for the TSHOOT.

5. Troubleshooting methods

TSHOOT Topology:

imageview.php?quickkey=jj0ytkhkhmz
attachment.php?attachmentid=475&stc=1&d=1276366832

attachment.php?attachmentid=476&stc=1&d=1276366832

attachment.php?attachmentid=477&stc=1&d=1276366832

TSHOOT INFORMATION:

So, as many individuals in the Cisco world already know July 31, 2010 is the last date to take the old CCNP v5 track (BSCI, BCMSN, ONT, ISCW). After that the new required track is CCNP V6 (ROUTE, SWITCH, TSHOOT). There are many individuals out there that I believe are afraid of the TSHOOT exam, especially "dumpers." Since in all honestly this exam does in fact test your knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and identify complex networking issues and know how to resolve them.

SHOULD I PURCHASE TSHOOT CERTIFICATION GUIDE?:

My answer to this is most definitely NO. I have reviewed the guide and there is nothing you can't get out of the BSCI or BCMSN books, and I would assume the same goes for the ROUTE + SWITCH books. I haven't checked this out yet, but I'm certain it is probably almost identical to the BSCI and BCMSN texts. I'm in no way shape or forum telling you what to do. But, you could save money and just review based on those texts and the recommendations in this post.

HOW TO PREPARE FOR TSHOOT:

So, this leads us to the question that everyone is asking, "How should I prepare for the TSHOOT." or "What is required to prepare for the TSHOOT exam." I start by saying you can find the TSHOOT policy perfectly available with no NDA violation at the following website. My recommendation is print this topology, know it like the back of your hand. Next, it would be a good idea to lab this topology from the ground up. A good post can be found
here by a gentleman named Nuul personally a recent friend of mine. I used this sample and created my own dynamips lab setup to simulate the TSHOOT lab and build it from the ground up. Here is the sample that I used with a 3640 image to simulate R1, R2, R3, R4, DSW1, and DSW2. I didn't lab the ASW1 and ASW2 switches, I just reviewed VLANS, STP, Port Security, Etherchannel, and router redundancy protocols such as (HSRP, GLBP, VRRP). The configuration I used isn't the exact configuration as the TSHOOT lab, as the fact I can share it and know that I do not violate Cisco's NDA policy. You can find my .net file here.

As for the configurations that I used, I just labbed out OSPF, EIGRP, NAT, BGP on the IPV4 Layer. As you can see from the IPV4 Layer diagram redistribution is going to take place on which device? That's right R4. So, make sure to review Route Redistribution. Once I completed and had full connectivity between the OSPF domain and the EIGRP domains, I moved on to the IPV6 topology. You will need to set up based on the diagram OSPFv3 and RIPng, so study these and review them make sure you can configure them probably as per the diagram and that you can configure the redistribution of these technologies. If you can do all this, you will be fine. I may possibly see if I can record some type of video labbing out this topology but without violating NDA. I will keep you up to date on this.

TROUBLESHOOTING METHODS:

The best ability to use when troubleshooting your configuration is to have a plan of attack. If you do this before going into the exam room, you should have no problem limiting the "area" that you may be required to investigate at which there may be an issue. As Wendell Odom recommended in one of his blogs the best thing to do is run a ping or traceroute when having an issue within the TSHOOT environment. The best plan of attack that I can think of, which I used is starting at the "portion of the area" that is having the issue, meaning, where ever you are told, can not reach a certain part of the network diagram you seen in the topology. From there you could ping throughout the network to determine the furthest point you can reach. At that point, you should be able to identify which area of the diagram you haven't configured something right, or something is wrong. You can then use other troubleshooting methods such as show commands to further investigate where the issue may lie, whether it be Layer 2 or Layer 3 issues, or something else. I can't go into much more detail than that because I do not want to violate Cisco's NDA Agreement.

My final recommendation is to make sure that you take your time and pay attention to fine detail. Make sure that you look over EVERYTHING and don't skip something or miss something obvious.

You can visit my blog site and post here
t1.jpg 43.3K
T2.jpg 26.9K
T3.jpg 44.1K

Comments

• Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Great writeup. This should be stickied.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Wow, I didn't read it yet but I know I'm going to be revisiting this thread when I'm ready for TSHOOT.

Whether it gets stickied or not, I'll be sure to bump this down the road....
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good post. I've been reviewing my online copy of the TSHOOT foundations book since I'm still waiting for ROUTE and SWITCH hard copies to get here. Developing a plan of attack for lack of better words is something that is repeatedly brought up in the couple of chapters I've already read.

I'm in the same boat as NG2F; I'm not there yet, but its good to read this to keep it fresh.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Based upon this, it sounds like the TSHOOT is going to be quite simple for anyone who does troubleshooting on a day in/day out basis.

So on that basis, I can't wait :D
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Based upon this, it sounds like the TSHOOT is going to be quite simple for anyone who does troubleshooting on a day in/day out basis.

So on that basis, I can't wait :D

Simple in a sense that you've already developed a good process of approaching problems.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    1st off thanks for the insight and the .net file.

Question for you.

Did u find it necessary not to have the frame cloud in your file? I have a lab that I built with real hardware and I added the frame cloud. You passed yours without it which is the goal, so do you believe its needed?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    shodown wrote: »

Question for you.

Did u find it necessary not to have the frame cloud in your file? I have a lab that I built with real hardware and I added the frame cloud. You passed yours without it which is the goal, so do you believe its needed?

It never hurts to go above and beyond, does it?
  • Options
    It never hurts to go above and beyond, does it?

Not to start a war with you, but you have to be very careful with that saying. In this case if its not needed then yes. The goal(battle) is to pass the test. If I'm going to waste time then no since. The overall goal (war) is to have a better understanding, but meeting objectives for the job and other things also have to come into consideration, so I play a balancing act with all. I want the most knowledge I can obtain, but at the same time I have short term goals which are certs to obtain also. Hope that made since. icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options

Question for you.

Ok,

I didn't create the frame, because I wasn't worried about labbing that portion out. I can't really say "how" it is set up in the actual exam, because I do not want to violate NDA. But, at this point you should already have an understanding of Frame-relay and how it is supposed to work. But, you can assume from the diagram that these "appear" to be point-to-point interfaces over the Frame-relay cloud, based on the L2/L3 diagram and the Layer 3 IPv4 diagram. So, set it up any way that you prepare, I just set it up this way to save time, and lab the protocols portions.
  • Options
    Not to start a war with you, but you have to be very careful with that saying. In this case if its not needed then yes. The goal(battle) is to pass the test. If I'm going to waste time then no since. The overall goal (war) is to have a better understanding, but meeting objectives for the job and other things also have to come into consideration, so I play a balancing act with all. I want the most knowledge I can obtain, but at the same time I have short term goals which are certs to obtain also. Hope that made since. icon_thumright.gif

In regards to this. I agree the main objective is passing, but the overall best objective is having an understanding of how everything works with these technologies. Passing the test gets you the certifications, but the overall goal is what's going to help on the job. As far as going above and beyond, you have to know how to limit yourself in the workforce, when a Project Manager notices that you destroy yourself to just blow away all other employees, they expect it all the time, then they rate your performance poor, if your not doing it all the time. I ran into this at my current job now.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zerglings wrote: »
    Simple in a sense that you've already developed a good process of approaching problems.

That is good, I am hoping the test due to this is not manageable by memorize testers or dumpers so the accomplishment of the cert has some weight in showing an employer that a person who may not have direct experience in the field, may still be competent enough to function appropriately in it after having obtained this cert.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    But, you can assume from the diagram that these "appear" to be point-to-point interfaces over the Frame-relay cloud, based on the L2/L3 diagram and the Layer 3 IPv4 diagram.
    Or you can just go into the TSHOOT Exam Demo and choose the IPv4 Layer 3 Topology Diagram and open up the router console without selecting a demo ticket and see what the base config is for the TSHOOT Standard Topology is.

The main TSHOOT Exam Blueprint Page has the link to the Official TSHOOT (642-832) Practical Exam Demo & Tutorial page that should always have the latest/greatest Official TSHOOT Topology Diagram.

R2 and R3 have frame relay configured on point-to-point subinterfaces -- and R1 and R4 have frame relay configured on the physical interfaces. Cisco has released the Topology (and Demo) so that it's a troubleshooting exam and not a "what the heck is connected where and doing what to which other router" exam (they have the CCIE R&S Troubleshooting section in the Lab Exam for that).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    In regards to this. I agree the main objective is passing, but the overall best objective is having an understanding of how everything works with these technologies. Passing the test gets you the certifications, but the overall goal is what's going to help on the job. As far as going above and beyond, you have to know how to limit yourself in the workforce, when a Project Manager notices that you destroy yourself to just blow away all other employees, they expect it all the time, then they rate your performance poor, if your not doing it all the time. I ran into this at my current job now.

Pretty much the same thing I said. In regards to the last post about your limits. I make a list of everything I want to accomplish each week and I don't go past that unless its something asked for. I have seen way to many people burn themselves and others out from having a high output in this field. A good steady pase is key to having longevity. So going above and beyond for me is maybe a once a quarter things or when the right opportunity presents itself. We all love our field, but this is a business.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    tanix wrote: »
    That is good, I am hoping the test due to this is not manageable by memorize testers or dumpers so the accomplishment of the cert has some weight in showing an employer that a person who may not have direct experience in the field, may still be competent enough to function appropriately in it after having obtained this cert.

To some degree, it'll probably hold some value but brain **** companies will always find a way to **** this. Dumpers will manage to memorize all the trouble tickets and will manage to pass the exam without actually knowing the CCNP curriculum.
  • Options
    To some degree, it'll probably hold some value but brain **** companies will always find a way to **** this. Dumpers will manage to memorize all the trouble tickets and will manage to pass the exam without actually knowing the CCNP curriculum.

I agree that its only a matter of time before they figure out how to **** it. If they can figure out the tickets and T/S the specific task they will be able to figure out how to get a pass. I do think however that they would have to actually open up the book and get more rack time, that maybe Cisco's goal.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    mikej412 wrote: »
    R2 and R3 have frame relay configured on point-to-point subinterfaces -- and R1 and R4 have frame relay configured on the physical interfaces.

That's only true on the demo, the PDF shows subinterfaces being used on all routers - something which confused me a bit
  • Options
    If you look at the L2/L3 diagram then you can see the reasoning pretty much behind the subinterfaces R1 to R2 is a point to point over Frame Relay. R3 then connects to R2 and R4 via subinterfaces which is almost like a point-to-multipoint subinterface but it really isn't since there are two different subnets one between R2 -> R3 and R3 -> R4. But, I get the logic behind what they are trying to do. I would concentrate more on the theories behind everything and the configuration of the other protocols if you are preparing for this exam. That's the only thing I can say because I do not want to violate NDA. icon_thumright.gif

I agree with Mike's statement that this is a troubleshooting exam not a what is connected to where exam. I believe that is really why they put the diagram out there in the first place so individuals can get comfortable with the topology going in, and know that your goal is troubleshooting whatever issue they give you once your in that exam room.

bowing.gif Can I have a sticky ? LOL. I really think this thread will benefit future individuals with most of the information that they need in order to prepare for the TSHOOT.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Can someone please tell me if the entire exam only consists of these sims, or is it a mix of sims + random multiple choice like the classic exams?
  • Options
    TenisuBakaTenisuBaka Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't want to say anything that might violate NDA, but there is a mix; however the ratio of sims to normal questions is MUCH higher than you are probably expecting.
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    I think it said that in the (nearly worthless) TSHOOT exam guide that it's 90% tickets 10% multiple choice.
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□

Well, I am hoping to get this done before the material becomes common place. If it ever came up, I could point out that I finished the material before even most of the content was available on even the training sites. Hopefully that will have some meaningful point.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Or you can just go into the TSHOOT Exam Demo and choose the IPv4 Layer 3 Topology Diagram and open up the router console without selecting a demo ticket and see what the base config is for the TSHOOT Standard Topology is.

The main TSHOOT Exam Blueprint Page has the link to the Official TSHOOT (642-832) Practical Exam Demo & Tutorial page that should always have the latest/greatest Official TSHOOT Topology Diagram.

R2 and R3 have frame relay configured on point-to-point subinterfaces -- and R1 and R4 have frame relay configured on the physical interfaces. Cisco has released the Topology (and Demo) so that it's a troubleshooting exam and not a "what the heck is connected where and doing what to which other router" exam (they have the CCIE R&S Troubleshooting section in the Lab Exam for that).

I just ran through the TSHOOT demo and currently have a high inc-ling that it is not working correctly. Anyone else get this?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    tanix wrote: »
    Well, I am hoping to get this done before the material becomes common place. If it ever came up, I could point out that I finished the material before even most of the content was available on even the training sites. Hopefully that will have some meaningful point.

Not gonna matter to employer's eye, in my opinion.
  • Options
    It's not going to matter in the employer's eyes. Either your CCNP or your not CCNP. They aren't going to ask what exams you took. They are just going to verify that you are "CCNP." As far as the exam itself, your looking at pretty much mainly sims, but a few multiple choice could be in there. As far as the demo goes, it works fine, I did it before taking the exam as well. Worked fine for me.

It's not a matter of what exams you took, it's the fact you got the certification and you can back it up in the workforce. That's all they are really going to care about.
  • Options