Options

Port mirroring

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know this isnt a tech support forum but...

I want to sent up port mirroring on a NETGEAR WGR614v9. Is this possible? If so, how is it done? I know this isnt a switch, but the router has Ethernet ports, so it provides switching capability.

Comments

• Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    You need a managed switch.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I highly doubt that it supports port mirroring out of the box. Try to check out some firmware like DD-WRT.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    find a cheap hub, (true hub)

put it in line from the port you want to monitor and plug in the monitor PC to one of the ports. The hub will flood the traffic out all ports so you basicaly have a very cheap wire tap.

this is assuming there is no firmware to do what you want.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    find a cheap hub, (true hub)

put it in line from the port you want to monitor and plug in the monitor PC to one of the ports. The hub will flood the traffic out all ports so you basicaly have a very cheap wire tap.

this is assuming there is no firmware to do what you want.

+1 to this idea. We used to have our field techs carry an old hub for purposes like this.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As long as you don't mind running in Half-Duplex...
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you want to be able to capture the traffic on a port even if it is full duplex and running at maximum capacity then you'll need to make a network tap. You'll need two ethernet interfaces on your monitoring machine however since each interface will capture one direction only.

The rest of the Wireshark Ethernet page also explains the other methods and the advantages/disadvantages of each.