Options

Desktop Support Job Opening

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I work part time at a local college, and have been for a year now. 50% in desktop support, and recently in the network team. Now a full time job is opening as a desktop support tech, and I want to apply for the job because I need the job. I'm going to rush an MCP in Windows XP in the next few weeks to help me, but there is one issue...

I am competing against one of my co-workers. He is more technical with me when it comes to desktop support. I think I have the edge when It comes to people skills and interview skills, but I'm not sure what will happen in the long run.

I am confident in my ability to know XP inside and out as well as our network resources. I am also confident he will know what I do, and more. Do you think my ability to work with people and as a team will get me the job, and is there anything anyone else could advise me?

Thank you all so much.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your people skills are an edge here for sure. You can learn just about anything if you put the time and effort into it so technical skills aren't as big as an asset as people skills. Are you doing the 270 for XP or do you plan to go the MCDST route? If you show interest in getting your MCDST for XP then you may have a slight edge over your co-worker if they do not have that certification. It's not a requirement of course, but sometimes a drive to get a specific cert can drive a hiring manager to look into your favor, not to mention if you plan to stay with a DST job for awhile then you can just simply upgrade your MCDST to MCITP by taking the 682 for Windows 7 when the time comes for you to upgrade.

Good luck none the less though.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your people skills will carry you a long way. Looking at what you've accomplished in Cisco you should do ok studying Microsoft.
    Good Luck
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wish you the best of luck! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Well good luck, it is good that you have people skills cause you will need to interact alot with people in a desktop support role and good luck for your XP exam getting certified in Windows XP will help if most of the desktops in your local college network are XP but nothing beats it like the real world experience since you have some good on you, that exam isn't that hard you should be alright. icon_thumright.gif Do tell us how the interview goes and who gets it.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well good luck, it is good that you have people skills cause you will need to interact alot with people in a desktop support role and good luck for your XP exam getting certified in Windows XP will help if most of the desktops in your local college network are XP but nothing beats it like the real world experience since you have some good on you, that exam isn't that hard you should be alright. icon_thumright.gif Do tell us how the interview goes and who gets it.

Gladly. Thank you everyone for your words of advice! I'll tell you how it goes.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Definitely go for it. Desktop support personnel need good people skills as they are the face of IT that many in a company will see. If the position was for something far more technical than yes, the people skills wouldn't matter as much as knowledge goes. You'll pick up the knowledge as you experience the variety of issues you come across. But it's important to not come off as a jerk to the users, which is why people skills are very important for that kind of position. Also, what is the worst that would happen if you did get passed over for the full time position? It's better to say that you tried and interviewed your butt off to get the position and not get it than to not even go for it at all and still not get it.

Going for it shows initiative and that's a good thing.
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    People skills are crucial when supporting desktops. People tend to take bad news when you already have a good relationship with the person supporting them.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    steve13ad wrote: »
    People skills are crucial when supporting desktops. People tend to take bad news when you already have a good relationship when the person supporting them.

Yeah Desktop support and most helpdesk jobs are like 50 to 70 percent people and communication skills and the other 30 percent is technical