National Guard/Reserve Stability/MSO Redux

WillnetWillnet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI everyone I'm new to the forum and have noticed there are quite a few military and ex-military cats on this site so I thought I'd pick everyones' brains a bit. To start off I just finished my 4 year enlistment in active army as a 25U. I am currently on terminal leave and in the process of finding a part-time IT job here in Austin where I live and pursuing a BS in CS. Before I left my last duty station (Fort Polk) I was told by the Reserve Retention that I could transfer to the National Guard and use the Stability/MSO reduction incentive. The Retention NCO has the paperwork ready for me to sign with a slot in an Aviation Unit here in Austin. For those that don't know what that means: Transfer to the Reserves or National Guard from active duty for 2 years and be non-deployable for the entire 2 years and get the last 2 years knocked off my military service obligation. I like the idea of some extra cash in my pocket, keeping my secret clearance active (because its only "active" for two years after separation unless you transfer to another branch or acquire a job that requires a clearance), and continuing to add to my military service toward a retirement if I choose to do so. My question is: Has anyone here actually done the Stability/MSO Redux program? Does it really make me
non-deployable? NG and Reserve compared, whats better? Or should I just go ahead and forfeit my Hazelwood benefits and use the chapter 30 + kicker for 3 years?
Thanks for the patience and responses everyone. :)

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, I think I have vaguely heard of that, but wouldn't have any clue about it. I will try to ask one of my career counselor's monday and see if they know anything about it.
  • WillnetWillnet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Wow, I think I have vaguely heard of that, but wouldn't have any clue about it. I will try to ask one of my career counselor's monday and see if they know anything about it.

Awesome thanks man.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    All I know is in my old NG unit there was no such thing as "non deployable". Then again, we were all Infantryman.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SIGNAL CORP!!! I did 4 years active duty a few years ago (31R, now called 25Q), then recently joined the NG as a 25B.

As far as being 'non-deployable', I don't buy it.

I think NG > Reserves, but I don't have any experience with the reserves so perhaps it's just a biased opinion. I DO know that I don't see many federal technician jobs (uniform wearing 'civilian' gov job) posted for reserve personnel, but I see them all the time for NG personnel on USAJOBS. I think that if you are looking for a possible gateway into full time government employment, NG is the way to go.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
    Alright Deesiel! *waves signal flags*

I am seriously considering doing the NG thing.. Its so weird to be out of the military then actually want to go back in it!
    Oh but that future IT security clearance government job sounds oh so sweet right about now...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know one guy that did the mso thing and did not get deployed when his unit went. Not sure if it works like that every time though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm ex-Army (retired E7) and also live in Austin.

If in your situation, I would NOT forfeit any Hazelwood benefits for a Chapter 30+ kicker. The reason is because one never knows what the future may bring. Case in point: my own ed benefits.

It's a long story, but my former employer paid tuition for my bachelors at Texas State. I began using MGIB bennies in 2007 for a grad certificate and masters. Then, in Feb 09, I was hit by a serious illness. Only $14,000 of the $49,000 has been used to date. My 10-year eligibility window expires next March.

And as far as the non-deployable "promise", the answer is also no.
    oldbarney wrote: »

If in your situation, I would NOT forfeit any Hazelwood benefits for a Chapter 30+ kicker. The reason is because one never knows what the future may bring. Case in point: my own ed benefits.

It's a long story, but my former employer paid tuition for my bachelors at Texas State. I began using MGIB bennies in 2007 for a grad certificate and masters. Then, in Feb 09, I was hit by a serious illness. Only $14,000 of the $49,000 has been used to date. My 10-year eligibility window expires next March.

That makes sense. I will be attending ACC for the first half and the tuition there is cheap. It would be best to save my hazelwood benefits for a masters if I choose to do so. As far as the non-deployable.. I read on the national guard forums that the state writes up the Stabilization Policy Letter and it must be honored because the state runs the NG and many people have used the same program and was not deployed even though their unit was. In Texas your stabilization begins the day you transfer to the NG. I'm not afraid to do any hard work I just want to get some schooling done. I guess I'll just suck it up and sign the paper.
  • 2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The best advice I can give to you if your wanting to make IT a career is stay in the signal corp. Find a reserve or guard unit that will allow you to transition to a 25N or a 25S. The ideal unit would be one that fields the JNN/CPN packages or one that fields the SNAP terminals. If you can't find a Army unit like that take a look at your local Air Force Guard/Reserve as they field some very advanced communications packages. (And they only deploy for 4-6 month rotations)

The best career move I made was enlisting and then reenlisting in the Air National Guard. I owe my career to the experience and training I received in the past 6 years.
    oldbarney wrote: »

I figured this was pretty much right on the money. The information I got today backs it up. You may get 24 months of stabilization but if the unit wanted to they could wave it. My brother did 8 years of reserve time and didn't get deployed once. Not saying that you won't get deployed but I personally would be willing to flip the coin to keep what sounds like some good benefits.
    I figured this was pretty much right on the money. The information I got today backs it up. You may get 24 months of stabilization but if the unit wanted to they could wave it. My brother did 8 years of reserve time and didn't get deployed once. Not saying that you won't get deployed but I personally would be willing to flip the coin to keep what sounds like some good benefits.

You know I'm really tired of the army just kinda doing what they want with people. I hate how there is no official trusted source for this kind of information.
    Its unfortunate. The army talks about honor all the time and they turn around and do some shady stuff like this.
    First, I would like to say I am not trying to attack/flame you. An I hope what I have written here helps.

You need to look at it from the government's side. You originally said I will enlist for 8 years (4 active, then 4 IRR). You did the 4 years. Now they are willing to wave half the time you have left if you go into the Reserves/National Guard. They are willing to wave it and let you keep your benefits. They got you a clearance, they gave you training, and tons of added benefits.

You also need to understand that when a person tells you something, maybe they said you will not be deployed. But that doesn't mean that is what is in the regulations or in the wording of the contract. An while I feel that most people will try to do the right thing for another person, unfortunately not everyone is that way also mistakes will happen. I once was told this buy one of my commanders. "The only person who is going to look out for you is yourself." That wasn't said to be a negative statement but to realize everyone else isn't here to look out for you. You need to take control of your future.

Ok now that I have said that, let me tell you about a situation I was in awhile back. I had just got back from my second deployment and did my month of leave after deployment. When my 1SG asked me if I had seen my email stating that I was on orders for recruiting. Sure enough I looked in my email and there they were. I had just under a year left in the military but the thing about going to that school is it had a 3 year time in service requirement after you finish it. Which meant that I had to reenlist in order to meet that or my other option was a Declination of Continued Service Statement (DCSS). Well I checked with the career counselor and there was nothing as far as bonuses or anything else at the time. That plus many other reasons I decided to sign the DCSS. It isn't suppose to be a negative mark on your record but it does limit you quite a bit.
    Any ways the unit I was in was locked into deploying a few months from my ETS date which meant that I had another deployment to do. To get to the point, all of this was my own doing and looking back on it right now I don't regret any of it. When I came back I ended up getting the DCSS removed (not that easy) and reenlisting for 4 years.

I hope this helps. In the military you can't predetermine what you do years down the road. So plan to have some surprises. They may benefit you even, though they don't seem like it at the time. You have just got done with 4 years of honorable service. Don't get tripped up now, make it work for you.
    First, I would like to say I am not trying to attack/flame you. An I hope what I have written here helps.

You need to look at it from the government's side. You originally said I will enlist for 8 years (4 active, then 4 IRR). You did the 4 years. Now they are willing to wave half the time you have left if you go into the Reserves/National Guard. They are willing to wave it and let you keep your benefits. They got you a clearance, they gave you training, and tons of added benefits.

You also need to understand that when a person tells you something, maybe they said you will not be deployed. But that doesn't mean that is what is in the regulations or in the wording of the contract. An while I feel that most people will try to do the right thing for another person, unfortunately not everyone is that way also mistakes will happen. I once was told this buy one of my commanders. "The only person who is going to look out for you is yourself." That wasn't said to be a negative statement but to realize everyone else isn't here to look out for you. You need to take control of your future.

Ok now that I have said that, let me tell you about a situation I was in awhile back. I had just got back from my second deployment and did my month of leave after deployment. When my 1SG asked me if I had seen my email stating that I was on orders for recruiting. Sure enough I looked in my email and there they were. I had just under a year left in the military but the thing about going to that school is it had a 3 year time in service requirement after you finish it. Which meant that I had to reenlist in order to meet that or my other option was a Declination of Continued Service Statement (DCSS). Well I checked with the career counselor and there was nothing as far as bonuses or anything else at the time. That plus many other reasons I decided to sign the DCSS. It isn't suppose to be a negative mark on your record but it does limit you quite a bit.
    Any ways the unit I was in was locked into deploying a few months from my ETS date which meant that I had another deployment to do. To get to the point, all of this was my own doing and looking back on it right now I don't regret any of it. When I came back I ended up getting the DCSS removed (not that easy) and reenlisting for 4 years.

I hope this helps. In the military you can't predetermine what you do years down the road. So plan to have some surprises. They may benefit you even, though they don't seem like it at the time. You have just got done with 4 years of honorable service. Don't get tripped up now, make it work for you.

I apologize for being so negative. I don't think I could come out as positive as you if I was in the same situation. I suppose the civilian transition is just stressing me out. Thanks everyone for all the helpful information!
    Willnet wrote: »
    I apologize for being so negative. I don't think I could come out as positive as you if I was in the same situation. I suppose the civilian transition is just stressing me out. Thanks everyone for all the helpful information!

I just want you to put things into perspective. It is easier to be positive about it now, but I fluctuated some at the time. I was also stressed out nearing the end of the deployment knowing that I had 60 days after redeployment to get everything right before I ETSed out (until the DCSS got waved I didn't know if I was going to be able to stay in). Stay focused and let us know how it goes.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If they need you, you're going. Think about it, they forced a number of people out of retirement back in, they brought back a ton of IRR people that thought they were out, and they stop lossed a bunch of the rest that were still in.

If you or the unit could truely be non-deployable, there would be no need for that slot or the unit.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    phantasm wrote: »
    All I know is in my old NG unit there was no such thing as "non deployable". Then again, we were all Infantryman.

You know, that used to really get me worked up.

While the dangers are real for everyone, the jobs are still totally different.
    It looks like I'm just going to stay out of the military. I'm already getting awesome job offers, networking opportunities, and benefits as a veteran. What Brad said makes sense too.

I've noticed no one wants to hire me part-time.