Options

Passed ISO/IEC 20000 Foundations

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
It was a great experience. I found the material from the book I purchased off line a tremendous resource. I scored a perfect 100%, I really needed that after tossing up a miserable 390 on the Project+ exam. Being in service management I obviously over stepped my skill set with Project +. Anyway it was a great experience and I am glad to have passed. It taught me a lot more about processes. I feel ISO 20000 goes into more depth as far as business processes go.

If you have any questions about this exam PM me. Woohoo!

**** Disclaimer for bad grammar**** I had 5 shock tops with an orange.

*** Sorry forgot to list the book. It was the intro book on ISO 20000 from the Exin site.

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass...you're the only person that I know of that has this one.

MS
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. How does this differ from ITIL and how does this add value? What are the requirements for writing the exam?
  • Options
    pakgeek wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. How does this differ from ITIL and how does this add value? What are the requirements for writing the exam?

The processes are different for starters. The exam hit on Six Sigma, EMMI, and MOF a bit, just some basic information. It also went into the history of the ISO 20000 and BS 15000. Of course it went through it's own processes like Change and Configuration management and availability management. There are some different processes and defintions. I felt like this exam was similar to the ITIL.

MS you were right the exam was fairly difficult. Obviously your auditor one would be more indepth AKA more difficult :)

Anyway I am looking into other service management processes and practices. Still debating on taking an IBM process exam. They offer them at the testing site (Vue and Pro).
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass...you're the only person that I know of that has this one.

MS

What do you think of the SOA Foundations? I found some really good material from IBM Press that I think will help me get the basics. Do you think the SOA foundations is a good stepping stone?

After reading the description of the exam and the intro of the books I got kind of gitty. The process is a lot different, at least the models seemed to be. So I suppose that will be my next step. For some reason I really don't have the drive for the technical certs like I once did. I really enjoy reading about the different processes and how they mirror the business needs of a organization.

On chapter 3 now and I am really learning a lot of useful strategies and techniques. For about the past 2 years I wanted to be a business analyst focusing more on the business side, because in my heart that is was drives a company, which in turn drives IT. SOA is an amazing model / concept that I buy into 100%. I am not sure how difficult the cert is, but that is not what drives me to read the book, it's a great read.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »
    What do you think of the SOA Foundations? I found some really good material from IBM Press that I think will help me get the basics. Do you think the SOA foundations is a good stepping stone?

I don't think the market really knows anything about these certs. I think if you wanted an IBM job related to SOA, or wanted to work for an IBM partner heavy in the SOA space, then it might be a good thing.
    After reading the description of the exam and the intro of the books I got kind of gitty. The process is a lot different, at least the models seemed to be. So I suppose that will be my next step. For some reason I really don't have the drive for the technical certs like I once did. I really enjoy reading about the different processes and how they mirror the business needs of a organization.

It's good stuff, but most people miss the similarities between ITIL and SOA. In many ways the body of knowledge that is referred to as "SOA" seems to purposefully try to complicate things that don't need to be complicated. I tend to think of ITIL working around the concept of services from the business-down, whereas SOA tends to work more from a technical perspective.
    SOA is an amazing model / concept that I buy into 100%. I am not sure how difficult the cert is, but that is not what drives me to read the book, it's a great read.

The concepts described by SOA are really nothing new. If you ever took any kind of procedural or OO programming language, most of the concepts are the same, just done on a much larger scale. SOA is really the way things are done, whether or not anyone objects to the concept of SOA in its current form.

Is this the book you're reading: Amazon.com: Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business Value, Planning, and…

It's a good one, it's probably my favorite high-level overview of SOA as told by IBM Press...

MS
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    I don't think the market really knows anything about these certs. I think if you wanted an IBM job related to SOA, or wanted to work for an IBM partner heavy in the SOA space, then it might be a good thing.

It's good stuff, but most people miss the similarities between ITIL and SOA. In many ways the body of knowledge that is referred to as "SOA" seems to purposefully try to complicate things that don't need to be complicated. I tend to think of ITIL working around the concept of services from the business-down, whereas SOA tends to work more from a technical perspective.

The concepts described by SOA are really nothing new. If you ever took any kind of procedural or OO programming language, most of the concepts are the same, just done on a much larger scale. SOA is really the way things are done, whether or not anyone objects to the concept of SOA in its current form.

Is this the book you're reading: Amazon.com: Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business Value, Planning, and…

It's a good one, it's probably my favorite high-level overview of SOA as told by IBM Press...

MS

Yes that is the book I am reading. I find it a bit overwhelming at times. I can tell this is going to be a 2 - 3 read book. When I first started getting into databases it was the same way. I had to read read read, then eventually I started getting it.
  • Options
    jiovalonjiovalon Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was a great experience. I found the material from the book I purchased off line a tremendous resource. I scored a perfect 100%, I really needed that after tossing up a miserable 390 on the Project+ exam. Being in service management I obviously over stepped my skill set with Project +. Anyway it was a great experience and I am glad to have passed. It taught me a lot more about processes. I feel ISO 20000 goes into more depth as far as business processes go.

If you have any questions about this exam PM me. Woohoo!

**** Disclaimer for bad grammar**** I had 5 shock tops with an orange.

*** Sorry forgot to list the book. It was the intro book on ISO 20000 from the Exin site.

Congratulations on the achievement, you can tell me what book or study that was how their study to obtain the certification.
    Chears