Sec + - What's next?

awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I am new to actually posting on the TE forums though I have been lurking and getting a lot of good information since a little before I took and passed my Network+ cert about a month ago. Anyway, I am about to take and pass (positive thinking!) Security+ tomorrow (06/17/2010). I was just wondering what would be a good next step to take.

Here is my situation. I am an IT newbie and have no professional IT experience, just what I've done on my own (which isn't bad mind you, but still not pro experience). I am looking to transition into the IT field. I started applying for low-level IT jobs after I passed Network+, but so far haven't had any bites. I do not have a completel BS or BA due to... well... life happening. Where's a good place to start and what certifications should I start looking towards next? I'm already looking at jobs on dice and other boards. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comments

• MikeStahleMikeStahle Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since you are new the IT world, I would start in a help desk job. A network+ (which I have) is good, most companies would not hire you directly into something like that without some direct experience. I work for a DoD contractor, and have my Sec+ and should be completing my CISSP this year. We hire people all the time with a minimum of Sec+, and can pass a background check and receive a secret clearance. You might want to check out Usajobs.gov for a gov't position. Or Dice, which posts quite a few Dod contractor jobs. The market is tight right now, so it might take you some time to get a good offer. Any experience is good if you can get it, so you might need to volunteer for something right now.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike is right! You may also want to consider where your specialty will lie within the field of security (assuming you are getting the Sec+ as an entry to a security career). For Cisco engineering candidates, the CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNA Security path may be viable. You have to determine an end goal for yourself and what essentially you will find yourself loving to do in the future.

Good luck on the exam tomorrow; I'm also taking the exam tomorrow but at 10:30AM lol. Let's hope we can knock this one out of the park! icon_cheers.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck to both of you!
    If you've put in the work and learned the material you should do OK. Don't forget to get enough sleep tonight so you'll be able to concentrate on the test. I noticed from taking my test just a few short months ago that this test is not just memorization but it tests you on how well you understand what you have studied so a lot of extra cramming tonight is not really a good idea. Relax a while.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike is right! You may also want to consider where your specialty will lie within the field of security (assuming you are getting the Sec+ as an entry to a security career). For Cisco engineering candidates, the CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNA Security path may be viable. You have to determine an end goal for yourself and what essentially you will find yourself loving to do in the future.

Good luck on the exam tomorrow; I'm also taking the exam tomorrow but at 10:30AM lol. Let's hope we can knock this one out of the park! icon_cheers.gif

I'm sure we'll both do just fine! I've read Darril's book through twice, watched my CBT Nuggets, read the PrepLogic Megaguide to Sec+ a few times, and used the Self Test Software practice tests along with whatever free tests I could download. I should be ready. I'll be checking back here tomorrow to see how you did! :D

I am thinking security will be a good field. My next plan, once I can afford it, is to complete a degree through WGU which will also give me a CCNA Security. Right now I'm trying to find something a little more immediate though. Thank you both for your input. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think as well. The more the merry I say!
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Good luck to both of you!
    If you've put in the work and learned the material you should do OK. Don't forget to get enough sleep tonight so you'll be able to concentrate on the test. I noticed from taking my test just a few short months ago that this test is not just memorization but it tests you on how well you understand what you have studied so a lot of extra cramming tonight is not really a good idea. Relax a while.

Indeed; I heard this one's a killer icon_sad.gif.
    awg0681 wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll both do just fine! I've read Darill's book through twice, watched my CBT Nuggets and used the Self Test Software practice tests along with whatever free tests I could download. I should be ready. I'll be checking back here tomorrow to see how you did! :D

I am thinking security will be a good field. My next plan, once I can afford it, is to complete a degree through WGU which will also give me a CCNA Security. Right now I'm trying to find something a little more immediate though. Thank you both for your input. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think as well. The more the merry I say!

Security is def a nice field to be in or be transitioning into at the moment. I'm confident as well that we will get the job done tomorrow!icon_cheers.gif. I used Darill's book, CBT nuggets, and used the Sybex flashcards.