A Good step after Sec+?

awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I am new to actually posting on the TE forums though I have been lurking and getting a lot of good information since a little before I took and passed my Network+ cert about a month ago. Anyway, I am about to take and pass (positive thinking!) Security+ tomorrow (06/17/2010). I was just wondering what would be a good next step to take.

Here is my situation. I am an IT newbie and have no professional IT experience, just what I've done on my own (which isn't bad mind you, but still not pro experience). I am looking to transition into the IT field. I started applying for low-level IT jobs after I passed Network+, but so far haven't had any bites. I do not have a complete BS or BA due to... well... life happening. Where's a good place to start and what certifications should I start looking towards next? I'm already looking at jobs on dice and other boards. My eventual plan is to attend WGU, when I can afford it, which will finish out my degree and also give me a CCNA Security. However, at the moment I'm looking for something a bit more immediate.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. I apologize for similar posts in two places, this seemed like a great place to post this question and I had already posted it elsewhere. icon_redface.gif

Comments

• ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    Depends what you want to do where you go next. You're ahead of the game on me in some areas, some not so much. I have 2.5 years of job experience as a help desk tech. I only have an A+ Cert and im about to have my BS IT degree. The best advice I could give you is keep at the entry level support / help desk positions thats all you're qualified for in my honest opinion...The entry level certs are great and show good dedication and provide great knowledge to help you grasp concepts...but our trouble is....if we havent touched a router...or havent configured a server...no ones going to give you a shot unless your being supervised...working under someone....Find out what area you want to specialize in....then focus on that cert next. Storage? Networking? VoIP? Security? Etc. and hone in on that. Good luck man
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    awg0681 wrote: »
    P.S. I apologize for similar posts in two places, this seemed like a great place to post this question and I had already posted it elsewhere. icon_redface.gif

Careful with that. Always pick one place, even if multiple could apply. What is going to happen is a Mod will see this and merge the two threads for you in the place that they deem to be the best fit, and give you a good old fashioned scolding.

Nothing to be too alarmed about, just refrain in the future.
    Decide what to be and go be it.