Options

Intimidating

bananamanbananaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I don't know what it is about this exam that seems so intimidating to me. I use Windows XP everyday, and I install and troubleshoot it at work all the freaking time, but for some reason I am hesitant to begin s tudying for this test. Someone have any feedback about the difficulty of this exam?

Comments

• Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    It is more challenging than, say Net+. There are a lot of bits and parts of XP that you don't mess with on an everyday basis... but even still, it is only a test.... I felt a bit the same way you do. Something about "Microsoft" that can intimidate you.

The questions are usually long and have a lot of info that is irrelevant, so you have to plod your way through the BS to get to the heart of the matter. Know security and permissions. If there is anything in your study matter that mentions a feature in XP that is different from 2000, be sure you know it. Realize that MS wants to create a test that you wouldnt be able to pass if you only know 2000.

I came in a little shaky, scoring 60% or so in transcenders but passed with 810, needing only 700 to do so. Make sure you have the Technotes as well.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    While I have not taken this particular exam, with all the others I have taken I might be able to help.

As mentioned by lazyart, there are question that have irrelevant information that can be used to throw you off. But if you work on WinXP like you say, then just read the study guide and use the Transcender software for practice exams. If you can pass the practice exams over and over then you will be able to blow the exam away. Exams are anything to be nervous about. It is part of the certification experience.
  • Options
    pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Someone have any feedback about the difficulty of this exam?

I passed on the first try with a 700 (minimum passing!). I bought the training kit from MicroSoft, took a Boson practice test, and took miscellanious free on-line practice exams. I would recommend against the Boson practice test for this particular exam if you're also using the MS training kit. This is because Boson uses the kit for reference to many of its questions. Kinda redundant.

Know your deployment procedures. RIS standards & rules, User State Migration Tool, Secedit, Active Directory, and mroe... Know as many deployment related rules and command-line stuff as you can. It could be that not all versions of the test ask these types of questions, who knows. I got a lot of them. Honestly I thought for sure that I'd failed. Turns out I almost did. :)