Options

UNIX=Linux?

janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
First, a mild yipee. After trying several tries over the past year, I finally got a copy of Linux installed on my hard drive. Knoppix was a good start, but now I have access to root. I have Fedora Core 3. It installs with a bootable CD drive and the installation with the GUI option is a lot like watching Windows go in. But, according to other posts in different forums here at TechExams, the most important thing is using Shell for admin.

My reason for asking is that my employer is installing a new enterprise system, and part of this system is on a UNIX platform, and helpdesk/operations are responsible for user inquiries/backup operations.
I'm used to DCL in VMS(You can see we have some older ops going!), and of course Windows is there, and will remain the client of choice. Also, I see a lot of Windows 2003 Server going in. So, GUI certainly won't go away! But, I'm cool with command line too--that doesn't bother me.

But, my big enquiry is, how much benefit is practicing with Linux going to be in a full UNIX environment. I have found that the commands are mostly the same/similar. And, when I go to Internet sites for Linux/UNIX information they always seem to make little difference, if any, between the two.

In-house training for these new responsibilities will be like usual--just enough to "squeak by", and only by reference to UNIX. So, just how indicative are these online tutorials, and published materials too, when it comes to a comparison of the two OSs?

I'll appreciate any insight. Thnx.
"It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I don't know much about UNIX, as I've never used it. Though I do use Slackware, and it prides itself on being "the most UNIX like". I would give it a shot.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I guess the the subject would have more truth in it the other way around: Linux = Unix. The basic setup and commands are very similar. I've worked with people who switched from UNIX (VMS as well) to Linux, but I think that's easier than vice versa.

Congrats on getting that Linux installed properly :)
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not that this directly answers your question, there are OS platforms that are free that are strictly UNIX based. Here are the links that I frequently visit for info on UNIX:

http://www.freebsd.org/
    http://www.openbsd.org/
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to check out that openbsd further. Minimum hardware req's are about the same as W2k.

But, today we're snowbound in Southern Indiana--18" to 24" of fresh snow. Have installed XP Pro on a PC today. Hope to surprise my wife for Christmas. She's been wanting XP in a faster computer.

Merry Christmas to all!

Johan, love that Yuletide Chapeau!!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've worked with SCO and AIX a lot as well as Linux. For the most part any knowledge in one translates well to any other.

There are a lot of minor difference such as command switches and utilities such as scoadmin/smit/linuxconf but overall if you can learn one, you have a head start learning any other Unix-like OS.