IT career burnout: What to do when the thrill is gone

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    an interesting read.... I've sent it round the office and now waiting to see if the boss gets a copy lol
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the lack of appreciation is a huge cause of IT burnout. With the recession and the cutting of IT staff we are doing more with less and by design if we are doing a good job nobody will notice or think about us. I can think of only one time in my career when I got a call from someone to say "Things have been running well for 3 months, thanks for keeping us going." People only really need to call when they have problems or are stressed out.

It's a bit of a mantra around here that it's the little things. The users or management don't care about the year long project to virtualize our servers and all of the behind the scenes projects, they care that their email is fast and that their files open when clicked.

Certifications have played as big a role in my current burnout. I've done 10 tests in the past two years and have 4-5 more that I want to try before December. I know I'm doing it to myself but if I can get through the MCSE and possible Sec+ I should be able to breath a bit and only work on 3 for next year.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Burnout is inevitable in any job. Especially the last year or so, companies are cutting costs yet expecting better results. Everything in life is about moderation, and your work is one of them. You do need time off, having a 3 day weekend every so often is nice, and spending an entire week off is always a good way to enjoy the other parts of your life. Hopefully as the job market gets better, some of the stress can be pulled back.
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Certifications have played as big a role in my current burnout. I've done 10 tests in the past two years and have 4-5 more that I want to try before December. I know I'm doing it to myself but if I can get through the MCSE and possible Sec+ I should be able to breath a bit and only work on 3 for next year.

I'm in the same boat myself. Not quite the same extent, but I've taken 6 tests in the past year and I have 6 or 7 more planned for 2010. Pile that on top of a full time college student and a full time worker, and the burnout can happen.

I do it because I have to. I often joke it off with "I can sleep when I'm dead," which is kind of true. Right now I'm young (21) and I can get away with this overwork. The older I get, the more easily I'll be burned out.

The other part of it is the need to get a good job. Once I get into a comfortable position I can take it easier, maybe only 2 or 3 tests a year. The other part, is that I'm also trying to knock out the security+ and MCSE while they are still available.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I do it because I have to. I often joke it off with "I can sleep when I'm dead," which is kind of true. Right now I'm young (21) and I can get away with this overwork. The older I get, the more easily I'll be burned out.

The other part of it is the need to get a good job. Once I get into a comfortable position I can take it easier, maybe only 2 or 3 tests a year. The other part, is that I'm also trying to knock out the security+ and MCSE while they are still available.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm slightly older at 26 but I feel like I need to do this to get ahead. My wife hates the constant studying and stress that I'm putting myself under but knows that I need a better job to help us get ahead.

I think balance in life would help me out. I am planning to slow the testing down to a trickle after my MCSE and Sec+. After that I want to get the VCP and the upgrade to the MCITP: EA. The EA isn't going anywhere any time soon and without any work exposure to it I don't feel the need to rush into those two tests, allowing me more time to relax.

The only thing keeping me going is having a goal to look forward to. Right now I have another trip to Disney World as my light at the end of the tunnel. When I get my MCSE I'm going to Disney World as cliche as that sounds :D
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Point 6 is great: Degelate your dirty work. Instead of doing the job you're paid for, make someone else's job miserable.

Doing something we don't enjoy or is boring is part of any job anywhere. That's why we get paid to do it.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Point 6 is great: Degelate your dirty work. Instead of doing the job you're paid for, make someone else's job miserable.

Doing something we don't enjoy or is boring is part of any job anywhere. That's why we get paid to do it.

You're right. I think the "burnout" feeling comes and goes. At least it has for me several times over my IT career of 13+ years. I always get over it by thinking about how blessed I am both personally and professionally. That usually snaps me right out of it.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Interesting article, but I don't like the way it focused on CIO/CTO's.

I'll never feel sorry for any C-level executive. Most of them i've dealt with are grossly underqualified and as soon as the going gets tough they cry to mommy.