Options

which cert first ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ITRajuyITRajuy Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Test costs vary. CompTIA tests are generally in the $200-$300 range, each one is a little different. Microsoft tests are pretty much $125 across the board.

You can also use sites like getcertify4less which can save you 10% or so, but those vouchers expire within a month or two, whereas buying directly from CompTIA the vouchers won't expire for a year. A lot of tests can be prepared for with just a book or two. You can also make use of this wonderful free site too.

Edit: Just looked it up.

Each A+ test is $168 from CompTIA. So for both tests it would be $336 plus study materials.
    Net+ is $239, but only requires the one test.
    And Security+ is $258, but again only one test.

Upfront they can seem expensive, I don't know anyone who can throw $250 around without batting an eye, but they will pay for themselves. With A+, Net+, and MOS 2007 I landed myself a service desk job which nearly doubled my salary. They easily paid for themself the first month or two of my new job.
    Thanks Devilsbane,
    Yeah I would say my wife and I do not have an overabundance of money laying around :), but my wife is good at budgeting so I will have her budget so I can take the A+ exam and hopefully one more before the end of this year. Right now I make $10 per hour, so I am thinking that I might be able to find an IT job that will pay me that much, so this will help build up my experience. Guess it is time for me to get my study materials and start looking for a new job. Thanks again for the information on the cert pricing.