Accepted a job, now the callbacks are rolling in

DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Over the past 8+ weeks, I've applied for several jobs. I wasn't getting many callbacks so I assumed my resume/app was getting thrown out.
I finally received a call back and interview at one of the places I applied at. Approx 2+ weeks later, they offered me the job. I accepted the job.

The following Monday (last week), 2 other employers contacted me requesting an interview. One of these jobs I applied at 6 weeks ago minimum... I interviewed with them, mostly for the practice.

I was supposed to start my new job yesterday (Tuesday, June 22nd), but the system they use to initiate a NACI (secret security clearance) is down, and they wont let me start until it's at least initiated.
In the meantime, 2 MORE places I applied with (4+ weeks ago) contacted me yesterday requesting an interview. I decided to do them since I'm still not working yet.

I interviewed with one of them today and it went really well. I would greatly prefer this job over the one I accepted, and I have a very good feeling that they will make me an offer within the next few days. I've never had to quit a job that I haven't even started yet... What would you do in this situation?
AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA

Comments

  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deesiel wrote: »
    Over the past 8+ weeks, I've applied for several jobs. I wasn't getting many callbacks so I assumed my resume/app was getting thrown out.
    I finally received a call back and interview at one of the places I applied at. Approx 2+ weeks later, they offered me the job. I accepted the job.

    The following Monday (last week), 2 other employers contacted me requesting an interview. One of these jobs I applied at 6 weeks ago minimum... I interviewed with them, mostly for the practice.

    I was supposed to start my new job yesterday (Tuesday, June 22nd), but the system they use to initiate a NACI (secret security clearance) is down, and they wont let me start until it's at least initiated.
    In the meantime, 2 MORE places I applied with (4+ weeks ago) contacted me yesterday requesting an interview. I decided to do them since I'm still not working yet.

    I interviewed with one of them today and it went really well. I would greatly prefer this job over the one I accepted, and I have a very good feeling that they will make me an offer within the next few days. I've never had to quit a job that I haven't even started yet... What would you do in this situation?

    Personally, I would go with your gut. And take the job you feel best about, regardless if you already accepted another position.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It will suck quitting the job before you start, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If the other job is what you really want to do then I'd do it. Its not like you are walking out on them while you are in the middle of some important projects. You haven't even done your first day yet! They probably have a number two guy on their list they can call up rather quickly any way. You should at least wait to quit the first job until you have a solid offer from the other company though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,090
    Deesiel wrote: »
    What would you do in this situation?
    Hope that the clearance thing drags on until you get a firm offer from the job you'd greatly prefer -- then take that one.

    But you can't count on job until you get that offer letter.... and that first day really happens.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I definitely will not quit until I get a firm offer from the other place.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deesiel wrote: »
    I definitely will not quit until I get a firm offer from the other place.

    Sounds like you've got a plan. Congratulations.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Congrats you must be happyicon_thumright.gif
  • tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Take the job you feel most comfortable with.

    For me the only thing that would make me consider otherwise, would be if that company was paying to get me a secret security clearance. If that was the case I think I would stick that job out, simply becuse it opens a LOT of doors for you if you decide to leave there later.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Good to see you got those offers. It looks like it took you more than 2 weeks to have an offer.

    And yes, I am still waiting for the response atm.
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a wonderful situation to be in but slightly frustrating at the same time. In jobs I've held in the past (not IT), the employer contacted me a day or two after receiving the app, not weeks. Why did it take so long for these employers to contact me? Oh well...
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    Btw, did you ONLY have one interview before you got the offer?
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tearofs wrote: »
    Btw, did you ONLY have one interview before you got the offer?

    Yes. One interview, then job offer about 2 weeks later.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, congrats on the opportunities you're getting. I'd rather have the headache of trying to figure out which employer to choose than having none call at all.

    Second, me personally, I'd probably take pay into consideration. If both jobs pay the same amount or about the same amount then go with the one you love, it's that simple. If you do decide to quit the job that you're already hired on at then just keep this stat in mind. Statistically companies are more likely to lose employees within the first 90 days of their employment, with that being said, I doubt they'll be too heartbroken if you decide to leave. They may have the time to bring someone else in as well since they are having the technical issues you mentioned before.

    That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. Keep in mind this as well, if you don't do what you love then you're more likely to leave that job in the future anyways, better to get it done now before you do real damage why your departure than later.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations. This is a GOOD problem to have.

    Go with the job that seems best.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,568 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've been in the same situation, it can be frustrating for sure... probably about to happen to me again as I am sitting around waiting for the one I really want, waiting on contract award... but I know if I really look elsewhere, it will come through the day after I commit and I HATE bailing like that.
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    ...I HATE bailing like that.

    As do I.

    Just as I hoped, the 'prefered' employer sent a job offer to me today. (WOOT!)

    Before applying for and accepting the job that I have, I was specifically looking for a job with an outsourced IT firm. I want to be able to go to different sites, providing desktop and system/network admin support. The job I accepted is helpdesk. The one that just offered is exactly what I was looking for in the first place.

    The helpdesk job does pay $0.50/hr more, provides a secret clearance, and is a government job (non appropriated funds). I would start out as a NF-3 in the 2210 series, which is equivalent to a GS-5. It could be a great gateway into more lucrative government jobs. I hear that it's tough to get a government gig as a non-gov, but once you are 'IN', then it's much easier to get other gov jobs / move around.

    The 'prefered' job (desktop support / jr. systems & network admin) seems to me like it would be better experience and more rewarding. Their clients are mainly small and medium business. It's a locally owned business (which can be good and bad), and they've been in business since the mid 80's. I would only have to drive ~5 minutes to get to work, versus ~30 minutes, but driving around to client sites would be a part of my job (which I dont mind).

    Any thoughts/comments?
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,090
    Deesiel wrote: »
    the 'prefered' employer sent a job offer to me today
    When do they want you to start?
    Deesiel wrote: »
    Any thoughts/comments?
    If you're sure about that offer -- and that it is your preferred job -- it's time to plan your phone call to that first company.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,568 ■■■■■■■□□□
    if I understand you right, the helpdesk job is the gov job? and you would prefer the other one?

    Tough call, friend - you are right about the difficulty in getting into gov jobs, and the ease of moving around after. Also, the clearance should be considered as well, if you want to stay as a contractor; my understanding is that previous clearance has no bearing on gov jobs (except if you were explicitly denied.) But the clearance would probably benefit you down the road... I would look at seeing which one will mesh better with your long-term goals.

    And give me some of your mojo so they will award the contract I am waiting on already! :)
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    colemic wrote: »
    And give me some of your mojo so they will award the contract I am waiting on already! :)

    Just accept another job/contract and the one you want will come through... LOL
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Deesiel wrote: »
    Just accept another job/contract and the one you want will come through... LOL
    Funny, this is exactly what happened to me this week. Accepted a job Monday and on Tuesday a recruiter called me offering me a position for a job that I didn't even apply for. They actually found my resume and seeked me out.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deesiel wrote: »
    As do I.

    Just as I hoped, the 'prefered' employer sent a job offer to me today. (WOOT!)

    Congratulations!
    The helpdesk job does pay $0.50/hr more, provides a secret clearance, and is a government job (non appropriated funds).

    I would think very carefully about this. $.50/hr is no big deal. Close enough that I really wouldn't consider it. But that security clearance could come in very handy down the line, especially if you want to work in a security job.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the good luck you've been having.
    Although the clearance may be tempting you seem to have already made up your mind to go with the other job. Good luck on it. If that's the job you believe you're going to like better and will benefit you more down the road then go for it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,568 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Deesiel wrote: »
    Just accept another job/contract and the one you want will come through... LOL


    Well, I am overseas, and I signed an offer letter in May for a position in Colorado... and am still waiting for the contract to be awarded so I am stuck. I was very fortunate that I did not even have to interview for the position, it is with the company I worked for in Germany, and they approached me, which is a big deal to me, since I will have to break my contract here to leave (one more year left.) but I am getting tired of waiting, so I have actively been applying for a few positions in Colorado in Texas (where my girl is.) So I don't want to get all the way through and accept a position in Texas, and then commit to moving there and then have the Colorado one come through (the one I REALLY want.)
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
  • OnefiveOnefive Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This has happened to me. It really sucks!!

    I was contacted by 2 companies which were at the top of my list the DAY and the day after I signed an offer letter with one of my lesser choices.

    I had to make the difficult decision of leaving my new job after a week or so of employment. I ultimately decided against it, so that I wouldn't burn any bridges. The IT world is a small one, and you seem to run into people more than once in your career.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Definitely not a bad situation you're in.

    You're going to have to do what's best for you. Just make sure you give your employer 2 weeks notice (or whatever you agreed on to begin with).

    Congrats, you must be happy! I wish I had this issue. :D
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

    “The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • WillnetWillnet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm confused. I get like 4 calls a week from recruiters for different IT jobs. And I usually get a response that day if I apply somewhere. Today I applied for a position on CL and had an interview this afternoon. I have another interview with a different company tomorrow. I have no certs or degrees. Just 4 years experience. Maybe its a Austin thing?
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Willnet wrote: »
    I'm confused. I get like 4 calls a week from recruiters for different IT jobs. And I usually get a response that day if I apply somewhere. Today I applied for a position on CL and had an interview this afternoon. I have another interview with a different company tomorrow. I have no certs or degrees. Just 4 years experience. Maybe its a Austin thing?

    I don't know. In most other jobs I've applied for, I would get a call back within a day (if I got a call back at all...). I thought it was an I.T. thing, but I guess not if you're getting quick callbacks.

    Since I originally posted this thread, I received yet ANOTHER call back from an employer I applied at about ~4 weeks ago.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I think I would go the route of the gov't job. Though a NAF position is likely not as secure as a GS slot would be, my guess is that its more secure than a contractor position. Plus, the security clearance is a huge bonus that will really pay off because most companies won't even talk to you if you don't have one and need one for the position because it costs them too much money to have it done. With the economy the way it is, having that clearance is an additional safeguard
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I had a similar thing happen to me. A year ago I was looking for a new job. I applied for a government job and a few others. Eventually with my short patience I decided to start my own company. So like 2 months after I applied for the government job they called me and wanted to interview me. I wasn't really interested since I had spent the time to setup my company but I figured I'd at least go since I had nothing to lose and to at least practice my interview skills (or lack there of). Low and behold, the government job ended up sending me an offer letter for 60k, security clearance, full benefits and all that jazz. WTF, 1 month prior I would have gladly accepted it. It was a tough decision but I had to turn it down for a chance to be my own boss and chase that 6 figure salary.

    A huge software company also interviewed me last summer...like 3 times with 30 emails being exchanged throughout a 3+ month interview process. They kept saying they were waiting on there finance committee to release there numbers so they would know how many people they could hire. I eventually just gave up with them. Some companies just move.... really....really.....slow.

    A third company called me the day after I emailed them with my resume. We had a 30 minute phone interview and he asked if I could come and interview them in the next 2 hours. I interviewed with them and they said they would have their decision by the end of the day. Wow, what a change of pace from my other interviewing experiences I thought. They ended up calling me about 2 hours after I interviewed with them and said they are going with another individual. I kinda wondered if they already had there prospect in place and were just going through the procedure to satisfy their HR requirements. Who knows, but they moved pretty quick.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I only read the OP.


    Accept the offer, if something better comes along explain the situation and leave...A company will not hesitate to let you go and you should not hesitate to leave for greener grass regardless of how long you have been working at said company.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    garv221 wrote: »
    Accept the offer, if something better comes along explain the situation and leave...A company will not hesitate to let you go and you should not hesitate to leave for greener grass regardless of how long you have been working at said company.

    I agree with this, very good advice. I just want to add to it that you should take great care in explaining the situation to them. You don't want to burn bridges with them if you don't have to. While you might not be taking this job, you might want to pursue one with them in the future. Or those managers might have friends that you want to work for. Or they might switch jobs and you find yourself working with them. It is a small world, treat everyone with respect.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
Sign In or Register to comment.