Options

WINS server

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I know that WINS has been around for a long time, but I wondering how much it gets used today. It seems like DNS can do pretty much all of the same stuff. So why would you implement a WINS server into your network.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I know that WINS has been around for a long time, but I wondering how much it gets used today. It seems like DNS can do pretty much all of the same stuff.

DNS is far superior because of its hierarchical nature. WINS has a flat structure and doesn't scale.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    So why would you implement a WINS server into your network.

Legacy applications that need it. None of the companies I've worked with in the past five years (that's probably pushing triple digits at this point) have had it deployed.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen it used some still for the reasons dynamik said. I don't see those apps being around to much longer though. A lot are getting replaced with web apps.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    WINS and Netbios.... can't add much more than Dynamic though. Also, getting rid of WINS cuts down on admin (WINS/DHCP scopes), net traffic, and security issues.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm just curious. I see that they are still in use here where I work, but I have never read much about them, likely due to them being phased out. It was my understanding that DNS could do everything WINS could, with the exception of some legacy type things.

Thanks for all of the input.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just keep in mind, Microsoft recommends using WINS in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 environments.

Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange 2000 Server require NetBIOS name resolution for full functionality