New Member, I passed

testmakertestmaker Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey just wanted to thank you guys for your support during times I was studying for the network+. I constantly red emails posted on this site and it help prepared me for the exam. I passed with a 726
I have a couple of questions, when the new version comes out, do I need to retake the exam or am I safe with the old version? How important is this certification in obtaining a job in the engineering field? What other certs would you guys reccomend?

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Firstly, congrats on passing. Secondly, no you will not have to renew your cert. All Comptia certs are for lifetime. Right now, Net+ will probably not get you into Engineering. Only because, it is an entry level cert that doesn't hold much clout. Although, depending on which path of engineering you go for, it may help. Either way, it is valuable information to know, because if you can't pass Net+, you'll never pass one of the more advanced Network exams, like Cisco. What exactly do you want to do for a career? What experience do you have?
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Congrats!

Rick speaks true words. This is an entry level certification but a good foundation to continue with future certs and job opportunities.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations on the Network+ cert, and welcome to TechExams!

If by engineering you mean the area of computer system design, go for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE). This is strictly M$ client and server related, but guess what the most popular OSs are right now! You pass a series of 7 different M$ exams in order to get this cert.

Go here and look at W2k or W2k3 exam tracks. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp

Then, if you're talking the area of network routing and administration, go the CISCO certification route. I really have little knowledge about these certs but take a look at the forums on TechExams CCNA or CCNP and you can probably get a start in learning what's involved. I do understand that these series of exams are pretty tough and have hands-on portions along with the written.

Then, don't overlook the necessity of hands-on experience. Get all you can in IT jobs.

'nuff said! Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • testmakertestmaker Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I have my Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering Technolgy and thats why I decide it would be a good idea to have one or two certs under my belt.
    I had interviews with with a couple engineering companies and was even offered a position as a field service technician(what I wanted), but I had to turn it down because I am listed in the national guard and I was called up to go to Cali where I'm at now.
    So to answer your question I'm heading in the Engineering/Technician field. I have experience in rebuilding computers and was thinking about getting the A+ cert but I think it would take me a long time to finish reading the book, do you think that's a good move? If not, where do you think I stand in the IT/Engineering industry? What's next?
    A+ is an entry level cert, which might be right for you. It's not an impossible exam, but it does carry some difficulty. What sounds more interesting, Systems Administration or Networking? Two different fields within IT.
  • testmakertestmaker Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Networking sounds more prominent. What are some of the entry level certs? A+, Net+, what else....................
    Server + is also a good cert to have if you're dealing with networks, as all networks have a server somewhere. The next level would be Cisco. CCNA is their entry level cert. Do note, Comptia certs are vendor neutral, so they have generalized questions. Cisco exams are obviously based on Cisco technologies, where knowledge usually comes best with experience. Unfortunatly, experience is at a very high premium right now, meaning it is very hard to just walk in to a Cisco position. You may want to partially explore Sys Admin / Support to get some experience you list on your resume/cv. Although, if you're determined, it's not impossible.