Options

Studying for Exam 70-640

2»

Comments

• Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Earweed's advice on reading the DNS chapters for 642 is good. I am currently reading those two chapters and am amazed at the greater depth of which the material is covered. I didn't do bad with DNS on the 640, but I still wish I had done this myself.

For most of my labs I just take my two office PCs and plug them in a D-Link switch and fire up several VMs on each. I am running Vmware Server 2.02. It gets the job done.

TechNet Virtual Labs

Check out these virtual labs on Technet. There are a few that would apply to the 640 exam.
  • Options
    MalasiusMalasius Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which version of VMware is best for creating practise labs?
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just want to say that I passed the exam today with 950 it wasn't a hard exam but like i said it's a hard study.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass! :) i am still busy and yes it is a hard study... But i'm taking my time ;)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Malasius wrote: »
    I use workstation but I've also used server and both work fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    Malasius wrote: »

Hi there! I am also working on the 640. After much reading and consideration, I am using Windows Virtual PC. So far, I have been pretty happy with it. It's free and is pretty simple to use. It will even mount the ISO file for you, if you don't have a 3rd party utility for that.
  • Options
    The only thing missing is snapshots.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    earweed wrote: »
    The only thing missing is snapshots.

I have a noob question as I am new to virtualization; can you use a snapshot to create a new VMware without having to install the OS from an ISO file?
  • Options
    no, but once you create your VM you take a snapshot of it. That way you can revert to your snapshot after you've done those labs. You can also clone meaning create one VM, clone it and it's way quicker than creating 2.
  • Options
    Jander1023 wrote: »
    Hi there! I am also working on the 640. After much reading and consideration, I am using Windows Virtual PC. So far, I have been pretty happy with it. It's free and is pretty simple to use. It will even mount the ISO file for you, if you don't have a 3rd party utility for that.

Hey there! I have setup VMware server and am running one Vm in there. It is nice because you can run VM's in the background permanently and then RDP into them. I am running the rest of the Vm's on Virtual PC. VirtualPC is fine though, its very easy, quick and simple to install and use and it does the job perfectly in my opinion. Also, You can set up multiple VirtualPC VM's and network them together for labbing. Good luck with the studying! :)