Options

Request letter to company for training, your opinion?

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
edited July 2019 in Virtualization
The situation is we are implementing Vsphere 4.0 at my plant (major fortune 500) We have a guy up north that is our Vmware guru and he is great, helps me alot, but I believe training is the way to go for our local level. So I wrote this letter to my boss and his (after talking with my boss about it of course) and wanted to know what TE members thought of it.

(Bosses name), I am writing to request VMware training. I believe this would benefit (company name) and more specifically the (local Site name) site.

First let me say that (Vm guru's name) is a top notch IT professional and has been very helpful, but I believe this training would allow me lessen my dependence on him, of course I would still confer with him on all major issues.

I am excited that (Company name) has chosen to implement Virtualization at our site and believe it will become the major component of our windows infrastructure. It is my opinion that there are several major benefits of having someone at our site trained directly.

1. Vendor training would provide a platform from which to build a high level of competence, this in turn allowing the plant to have an employee that is both familiar with it's virtual environment and it's current physical environment. This would improve the quality of administrative and maintenance decisions made at the plant level.

2. Administrative overhead would be reduced because more issues could be resolved locally.

3. The local resource could more accurately describe and explain the capabilities and limitations of the virtual environment to management in turn improving the overall quality of decisions made at the plant level.

4. The speed and efficiency with which the system could be recovered in the event of a major outage would be improved. This would lessen the communication barrier and in some instances it may be possible for two or more individuals to work on different aspects of the same outage.

5. (Company name) would gain an asset that would be more capable to assist in any future projects or outages at other facilities.

On a personal note I believe in vendor training and have attended classes in the past both through my employer and on my own.

Thanks for taking the time to read my request and if you need any additional information please let me know and I will be glad to get it to you.

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    I've had to write similar proposals myself for training, and yours seems fine.

I will say though, these are good tests to see how the Co. sees you. Are you an asset worth training and fit in their long term vision? Guess you'll see what they think :)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have worked with bosses that would approciate what you are saying and other than would be insulted. But in my 6 years in IT I have never seen this sort of thing work.
    I gotta tell you. Most of what is here, your management already knows. You might without really intending to, but might be, talking down to them. Training ones employees is a pretty cut and dry thing on paper and doesn't really need restatement. But your boss and company most likely have challenges you are not aware of. Your best bet is to identify the politcal capital that s/he would be expending before such a request.
    I am not saying it can't happen, and there is nothing wrong with asking in the right tone. But consider a few things.
    1) Who wrote up and approved the budget? Did they set aside training in the budget during their planning stage? If not, it's probably already too late. No matter how big the company is, if the budget is spent, it's spent.
    2) What if your boss (or your bosses boss) replies and asks. "what do you do to keep up with the the times? Why are you not to speed with the industry?" This could be seen as documented proof of lack of initiative rather than the opposite.
    3) How many years have you been with your company? Are these people your friends? When was the last baseball game you went to with them? Had them over for dinner? Church? Bottom line, it's interpersonal skills, not a rational argument that moves money in any business.
    You and I both know, not having a couple virtualization products on your resume is a serious blemish. If you are serious about needing training in vSphere, grab yourself Vmware 7 trial and buy some vSphere training DVDs off ebay. A quick check, I found used one for as low as $20! Don't be afraid to leaverage what your own self study into political capital of your own.
    I guess Ill close by also asking you to have a rejection plan in mind. Perhaps you can negociate a few half days, where you could lock yourself up at home or in a lab at work self training.
    Anyhow, I hope that helps.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I can see your point - but I would expect that in the case of no funds, his boss can take this formal request and use it as ammo to press upon them the need/value of doing this.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You don’t need formal training – Grab some books and run with it. Sounds like a great experience. More often than not employers will be impressed with your willingness to learn (on your own time).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Well, sure they would, if it doesn't cost them anything - but it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Have a crack mate... can't hurt in asking.

I too have done some of the VMWare training on my own bat so I can understand what happens in the cloud world, however I would also like the formal cert, but to do that you have to pay the coin to do the training to get the piece of paper.

Ask away, a letter like that can't hurt or even ask them if you pay for the training course if they will go halves in all the costs if you pass the exam. It will only benefit them in the long run.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I have worked with bosses that would approciate what you are saying and other than would be insulted. But in my 6 years in IT I have never seen this sort of thing work.

If you think this is an insult you should come to some poker games with me this weekend, I have had this exact strategy work for me three times in the past, for around 15k in training over the five years I have been in IT. It's free to try and I sure ain't gonna get it if I don't ask.

Other than that I sent the letter and haven't yet recieved a response, if it was completly out of the question or insulting I would expect and instant get lost type response.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    2) What if your boss (or your bosses boss) replies and asks. "what do you do to keep up with the the times? Why are you not to speed with the industry?" This could be seen as documented proof of lack of initiative rather than the opposite.
    You run not walk out the door as soon as you secure another job and thank god that you sent the original email. Also you probably laugh a little about the ignorance of the person asking the questions.
  • Options
    Just a quick follow up. It worked, we is be going to DA VMware Class.
  • Options
    Awesome, ask and ye shall receive! ;)