Options

Increasing RAID size

qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
Hi TE,

Does anyone here have experience resizing a RAID array by rebuilding with larger disk? In my case I have a RAID6(RAID-DP) wiht 8 500gb drives and upgrading to 1TB drives. Also this is on a NetApp Storage Vault (S550). Can someone point me int eh right direction in getting this done? As much as possible w/o destroying the current array as it is a production box.

TIA
If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
you intend to get across, then it is not focused
well enough.
—Charles Osgood, TV commentator

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    qplayed wrote: »
    Hi TE,

Does anyone here have experience resizing a RAID array by rebuilding with larger disk? In my case I have a RAID6(RAID-DP) wiht 8 500gb drives and upgrading to 1TB drives. Also this is on a NetApp Storage Vault (S550). Can someone point me int eh right direction in getting this done? As much as possible w/o destroying the current array as it is a production box.

TIA

You can rebuild arrays by adding on disks but not replacing like you want to do. I would either buy another storage vault with the 1tb drives and snapmirror your data over or schedule this for a maintenance window, copy all the data off, put in the 1tb drives and copy the data back.

Other technologies will let you mix and match speeds/drive size but I doubt your Netapp can.

I hope someone else comes in and proves me wrong. ;) I would love to be able to do this on most storage devices.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!