Options

Shadow Copy for a single folder?

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've got some users that tend to accidentally delete letter templates that our insurance software uses. Unfortunately the software is set up to keep the client attachments (quotes, emails, property pictures) on the same volume. The "Images" folder alone is over 100 GB. Anyone know of a way I can just do Shadow Copy only on our "Templates" folder?
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's only per partition. You could run a xcopy/robocopy script on a schedule.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For stuff like this I use Cobian Backup. It's free. I set it up to copy to the backup server and grant users only read access to the backup folders. It allows me to also do incremental backups, etc... It's a good little tool to combat human error like this.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe you should investigate the permissions on it. Limit the number of users that have the delete permission could lessen the load of restores coming your way.

Otherwise I think dyanmik has a good idea, except backing up a 100gb folder nightly could turn into a chore. The same goal could be achieved using ntbackup with an full/incremental or full/differential backup scheme so that you don't have 100gb of data being continually copied.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Otherwise I think dyanmik has a good idea, except backing up a 100gb folder nightly could turn into a chore.

By default, robocopy will only copy files that have been modified. It compares timestamps before copying the files.
  • Options
    Otherwise I think dyanmik has a good idea, except backing up a 100gb folder nightly could turn into a chore. The same goal could be achieved using ntbackup with an full/incremental or full/differential backup scheme so that you don't have 100gb of data being continually copied.

He only needs to backup the templates folder. So this isn't really an issue.

I have tried to go the limit permissions way and found that some application will not run if the user has been denied delete.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have tried to go the limit permissions way and found that some application will not run if the user has been denied delete.

Very interesting. I was thinking "now why would that be." Probably for temporary files, so I opened up Word, and stuck it in a folder where I dened delete files and sub folders to myself. After I opened the document the "~$w Microsoft Word Document.doc" file didn't disappear like it normally would when you close the document. Also, every time I save the file I get 3 new .tmp files created.

So I can see why this could muck up some programs. Thanks for the insight.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Very interesting. I was thinking "now why would that be." Probably for temporary files, so I opened up Word, and stuck it in a folder where I dened delete files and sub folders to myself. After I opened the document the "~$w Microsoft Word Document.doc" file didn't disappear like it normally would when you close the document. Also, every time I save the file I get 3 new .tmp files created.

So I can see why this could muck up some programs. Thanks for the insight.

Another triumph for the scientific method!

The application I am thinking of is TaxWise. I believe it uses a scratch type temp file that it expects to be able to clean up after commiting transactions. W/O delte perms it just craps out.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I believe it uses a scratch type temp file that it expects to be able to clean up after commiting transactions. W/O delte perms it just craps out.

Damn, that just solved an issue I had 3x years ago at a client site.