Lab vs. Simulator

Super DevilSuper Devil Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I'm going to start studying for my CCNA soon and I was throwing around the idea of building a lab. In college I used Cisco's Packet Tracer Sim and for the most part it worked really good. I don't know how many of you have used PT but its a fairly easy to use Sim and they did a pretty good job of making it as realistic as possible. Full IOS and all for the routers and switches. I know a true lab would be better but I really don't have that kind of cash right now. So do you guys think I could get away with just using the Sim to study with?

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Packet Tracer is all you need for your CCNA. That is all I used for mine. However, PT does NOT have a full IOS.

If you plan on moving onto professional level certs then you could start your home lab, but you don't need to go over board for the CCNA.
    CCNP :study:
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're short on cash Packet Tracer will get you through the CCNA. However, there's a lot of benefit from real hands on. You can pick up used routers for $20 or less shipped. It's still highly recommended to grab a couple if possible, even if they're too old to do much studying with.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    You definitely dont NEED a lab to pass the CCNA. I would highly recommend it once you have the cash, though. It's just a different experience working with real equipment.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hello all, didnt really want to make a whole new thread.

Nonetheless, I am wanting to buy a switch for when I get ready for the CCNA. I currently am prepping for the Net+, but I would like to go ahead and start messing about with a switch. I already own a Cisco 1700 router.

But yea, what series switch is good for the CCNA before I go to just buying stuff LOL

Thanks in advanced.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    If you really want to buy hardware for the CCNA, you should start with a WS-C2950T. Just FYI, you can still do everything you need for the CCNA level on Packet Tracer. Buying one switch won't really get you far, besides just learning the commands. You need at least 2 if you want to practice VTP, STP, EtherChannel, etc..
    Hello all, didnt really want to make a whole new thread.

Nonetheless, I am wanting to buy a switch for when I get ready for the CCNA. I currently am prepping for the Net+, but I would like to go ahead and start messing about with a switch. I already own a Cisco 1700 router.

But yea, what series switch is good for the CCNA before I go to just buying stuff LOL

Thanks in advanced.

The 2950 is the ideal switch for the CCNA. You can also consider the 2900XL/3500XL models which are missing some features, but cost less.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    The 2950 switch is legendary!!!!!
    Catalyst 2950 Series Software Feature Comparison--SI and EI [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

Make sure you get the right 2950's :) IMO, 2950T is the best option at this level.
    Check Wendell Odom's blog. There really isn't much difference anymore.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    You can also consider the 2900XL/3500XL models which are missing some features, but cost less.

Are the features that are missing crucial for the CCNA? - Thanks
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Save your money and go with the simulator. You do not need to build the lab to get your CCNA. Packet tracer is plenty enough. I built a lab during my CCNA and used it a few times but mainly used packet tracer because it was quick and simple. I used it a few times for frame-relay and some other stuff. But, I would hold off until your CCNP. If you go for that next. If that's the case honestly, you could just use Dynamips for routers and get 2 3550's and connect them to your dynamips instance to make a switch (real hardware) and routers (virtual hardware) networking environment. Honestly, at this point, I don't have much money to add to my lab, I am going for my CCIE and I need 2 3550's and at least 1-2 3560's. I'm just going to rent rack time to save myself money. icon_thumright.gif As far as switches for the CCNA go, 2950 is the way to go for it. get 2 of them and you'll be fine. But my overall recommendation again is just to use Packet Tracer.
    But my overall recommendation again is just to use Packet Tracer.

I didnt know a thing about Packet Tracer till this thread. I just downloaded it, and I must say I am very impressed. The other Lab Simulators I have "accquired" over the past months have been total junk which turned me kind of against Lab Sims.

Nonetheless, is there any solid sources for " How To`s" with Packet Tracer other than blindly searching Google?

I really do not know where to start, My first goal is to just create a simple network Cloud+Router+Switch+Host.

Thank you much
    I didnt know a thing about Packet Tracer till this thread. I just downloaded it, and I must say I am very impressed. The other Lab Simulators I have "accquired" over the past months have been total junk which turned me kind of against Lab Sims.

Nonetheless, is there any solid sources for " How To`s" with Packet Tracer other than blindly searching Google?

I really do not know where to start, My first goal is to just create a simple network Cloud+Router+Switch+Host.

Thank you much

There should be a directory with documentation in the installation.

Edit: I'll just come out with it. Did you download PT from the Cisco Networking Academy site? If not, then you don't have a legit copy. I'm just asking because besides all the docs that come with PT, there's a bunch of other docs right there on the download page.