Options

Security University

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
I did a search of the forums last night and again today, and only found one thread referring to this orginization and the OP had high praises.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/35402-i-passed-security-university-rocks.html

Also did a google search in which this poster had raving reviews of the training. (original site not avalible, google cache below)

Security University Review

It sounds like they put an emphasis on hands on training, which I like, I am much less interested in the employ-ability of the cert, and more so in the knowledge and experience gained. That meing said, has anyone used them? Any knowledge of them? I am not particularly a fan of the EC-Council knockoff names of their certs, but I can live with that. Also they claim to: "Security University Q/ISP was Voted Best Professional Security Training Program Finalist by SC Magazine 2009 Awards." and "All 22 Performance-Based Security University classes have earned the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) 's highest (non-academic) approval in 2007."

Does CNSS approval have to be re-evaluated? How often? Finally, when I went to cccure yesterday, I saw them as a major advertiser over there.

Your replies are appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Does CNSS approval have to be re-evaluated? How often?
    The NSA National Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education Program (CAE/IAE) program is built on courses meeting CNSS training standards. An educational institution achieving CAE/IAE certification must be audited every five years to retain certification.

Some institutions (most notably Purdue) have elected not to renew their CAE/IAE certification, citing that the certification has little benefit to their educational program, or makes it too difficult to change their program's offerings. Also, so many "Centers of Excellence" now exist (in widely varying degrees of quality) that the certification is not representative of exclusively, high-caliber institutions of education as it was meant to be.
  • Options
    codeacecodeace Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just to backup JD. The list of universities in each state with current NSA CAE accreditation here Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS

It is my personal opinion that anything done with any of the CAE centers are of highest value - both knowledge-wise and job-wise!
    Everything happens for a good reason! Don't question it. Just accept it :)
  • Options
    yes, i am slightly familiar with the CAE Program. I was hoping someone here was familiar with SU, as the CNSS standards do not seem to be that important outside of the government, and even within it.
  • Options
    This is a really old thread, but I prefer reawakening an old thread than making a new one sometimes. I wanted to point out the SU videos on Youtube, wondering if anyone wanted to give their opinion?

SecUniv's Channel - YouTube

(specifically the videos related to their line of certifications not the Sec+ and CISSP videos) :)
  • Options
    AlmightyAlmighty Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too as of late have become very curious about this program. I met the CEO over the weekend and unsurprisingly, she sold it well. I'm just amazed that this place is more or less unheard of. I'd like to get some opinions as well before I spend my hard earned money.
    No one of consequence
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I came across this university from a magazine geared for military called GI Jobs.

Other then Sec+ and CISSP, I don't recognize any of the professional certs that they are pushing.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown