Options

Got Hired. Tech Support. Quick questions

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Hi

Got hired as tech support. Company said they will train me their products and services so I can provide tech support to their clients.

I haven't been in this kind of work environment before. Do you know if I will have to be taking phone calls right away on the first week of training? or will they train me until i know the materials then let me answer calls/?

Anyone here can share their experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    my initial answer would be that it depends on the company...

Some companies feel that you learn better by doing and will put you in the fire...others want you to know their product so will train first...still others will do a combination of both.

Good Luck
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    Hi

Got hired as tech support. Company said they will train me their products and services so I can provide tech support to their clients.

I haven't been in this kind of work environment before. Do you know if I will have to be taking phone calls right away on the first week of training? or will they train me until i know the materials then let me answer calls/?

Anyone here can share their experience?

Thanks

The sooner the better. If I where you I would be asking to get on the phones.

1. It shows you are couragous and willing to work right away. It really sets a good first impression. People who shy away or are very nervous, usually tend to make average techs. **** That's just my opinion

2. Reading the password reset policies or viewing screen shots of your ticketing system is not going to give you the experience that a live call will. Maybe they will have you work easy cases/tickets from the queue and then ramp you up on the phones.

Honestly each environment does it their own way.

BTW Gratz and good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I am not nervous or shy. It's just that I don't know anything about their products and unable to provide real support on the first day or so. It's not one of those troubleshooting O/S kinds of jobs. I guess I have to learn their products then help customers. I dont know how to use their ticket system, never done escalating calls, and such.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Jump right on in. Listen in on calls if you can.

I do sole support for a company, and although I knew the OS and hardware inside and out, learning their unique programs was a bit of a challenge. Within two weeks I was completely on my own. Put aside your fears, go at it balls to the wall and youll be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I am not nervous or shy. It's just that I don't know anything about their products and unable to provide real support on the first day or so. It's not one of those troubleshooting O/S kinds of jobs. I guess I have to learn their products then help customers. I dont know how to use their ticket system, never done escalating calls, and such.

You will learn.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    I think they will provide you training.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    Congrats on the new position.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! The quicker you get in the flow the better.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new position! Get in there and show that you're interested and learn the system, they already know you're not familiar with their system yet so they'll train you enough to at least get you started.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    this sounds like proprietary tech support
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    this sounds like proprietary tech support

Yes, it is. Is it good or bad? Helping business clients only. Not helping consumers (home users, etc).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone

Yes, it is. Is it good or bad? Helping business clients only. Not helping consumers (home users, etc).

I don't think good or bad should be a thought right now. All you should worry about is the job at hand. I think learning a specialized system can be a good thing personally. Microsoft help desk support techs are a dime a dozen. If you can learn an emerging application that supports a productive and growing business you should be good to go.

I would focus more on how the business is growing and how this application effects the business. Does this app support several business processes? Is this application agile? Can it be customized with ease?

Only time will tell. Good luck
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Relax.

They won't point you at a desk and phone and say get on with it. It's not telemarketting. Any decent sized app will will need a bit of learning to get you going. They don't want their customers to think a total numpty is on the other end of the phone.

I've only worked in application support once and there was a lot of initial training followed by several weeks of shadowing before I got near the phone. Of course, it really depends on the app and type of support you will be asked to do.

Don't go in there on day one thinking you are on the back foot. Relax and learn everything they ask you to learn and listen to the guys doing the job already when they are on the phones and you'll be fine.
    Kam.