What is your opinion?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I know many of us here aren't going to the Cisco Academy.

Has anyone here have use an ereader for your studies?
If you do, how's your experience with it, and how is the PDF support of your ereader?

Would you prefer a book or an ereader?

I am still going to buy books. It is just to happen that the books comes with PDF version, and I am thinking that use it whenever I go to work, and use the book at home.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I have my classroom and lab books from when I attended the ICND1&2 instructor led classes. Everything else that I currently have is from Safari books online. My employer provides us with subscriptions. Right now I read everything on my PC or laptop. But I really want an ereader. Only problem is I feel the regular versions are too small for my liking. I am looking at getting either the new version of the Kindle DX or the entry level iPad. The only thing holding me back is the price.
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    thehourman wrote: »
    I know many of us here aren't going to the Cisco Academy.

Has anyone here have use an ereader for your studies?
    If you do, how's your experience with it, and how is the PDF support of your ereader?

Would you prefer a book or an ereader?

I am still going to buy books. It is just to happen that the books comes with PDF version, and I am thinking that use it whenever I go to work, and use the book at home.

I was thinking about the same thing, I ended buying a netbook instead. You can get a heck of a little computer for $300 or less, I don't regret going with the netbook instead of an ereader.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not studying for anything Cisco but I personally use my laptop to read as much as I can (from Books 24x7) when I don't have access to my regular books. I'm sure mostly everyone here will encourage you to read as much as possible for your related studies. Having some type of e-reader or books available on a laptop or netbook is definitely a good idea.
    As long as the books you need to study are available for your e-reader go for it. Be sure to have some type of notebook available to take notes when you think they are necessary.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have been pondering the same thing lately. I have all of my CCENT and CCNA books from when I took the classes too, as well as my CVOICE book. I use safari books online to read from the rest. To be honest, I HATE reading books on a computer screen. I either: 1) Get distracted since I'm at my computer, or 2) Spend more time scrolling than reading. I have been considering an Ereader as well. My friend at work has the bigger kindle, and it looks really cool. You can either put PDF's up on it (which work pretty well) or you can buy your book for it (and have all kinds of cool search and indexing features a normal book wouldn't have). The biggest perk is not having to scroll constantly.

However, the only benifit to having an E-Reader is the compact ness of it, and the ability to search through text faster. Everything else can be done with a book, without a $300 investment. So I'm torn between it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    The Kindle DX is nice, but for my Cisco and other stuff, Kindle won't do it; because Kindle treats PDF as a picture. Meaning You can't zoom it, especially if the text is kind of small. I almost bought a Kindle because a lot of people says it was really good. It is good for them because they got their books from amazon. In my case, I still want the physical book, and the PDF version of it. Just in case that my device craps out, I can still read the real book.
    As for netbook, I do have an Asus netbook, and I installed the Foxit PDF reader, and it is faster than Adobe. Anyway it kind of like make my eyes feels tired when I was reading on my netbook(portrait view). Also, I can't use it outdoors because you can't see anything on the screen even under a shaded spot.
    Heck, if I am going to read my PDF book indoor, I get distracted by people around me.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    The Kindle DX is nice, but for my Cisco and other stuff, Kindle won't do it; because Kindle treats PDF as a picture. Meaning You can't zoom it, especially if the text is kind of small. I almost bought a Kindle because a lot of people says it was really good. It is good for them because they got their books from amazon. In my case, I still want the physical book, and the PDF version of it. Just in case that my device craps out, I can still read the real book.
    As for netbook, I do have an Asus netbook, and I installed the Foxit PDF reader, and it is faster than Adobe. Anyway it kind of like make my eyes feels tired when I was reading on my netbook(portrait view). Also, I can't use it outdoors because you can't see anything on the screen even under a shaded spot.
    Heck, if I am going to read my PDF book indoor, I get distracted by people around me.

Read up on the new Kindle DX. It comes out July 7th according to Amazon. From what I have read it addresses many of the shortcomings of the original DX. Better screen (outdoor reading) with eInk, better organization of books, pan/zoom of PDF's, etc. But it is $379. Amazon.com: Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display, Graphite, 3G Works…
    9.7" would help a lot.
    I found these ereaders called Onyx Boox and Samsung E60. Check the hyper links.
    The cool thing you can put notes and highlight the content and some other stuff. Also, the display is very responsive for the Samsung model. I think they are cheaper than the Kindle DX2.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I've got pdf ebooks on my sony prs-900.. it handles them great.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    I've got pdf ebooks on my sony prs-900.. it handles them great.
    That is good. How's the graphs and if you are viewing the entire page, is it readable?
    Studying:
    Reading:
    That is good. How's the graphs and if you are viewing the entire page, is it readable?

if i zoom in past medium while viewing a PDF the graphs and tables start to breakup, but reading it on small isn't a problem for me. I havn't tried the epub format yet.

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I recommend getting a smart phone and then using kindle books :) I have an incredible and it works nicely
    CCNP :study:
    The problem is the monthly data plan is really expensive and it comes with 2 year contract.
    I might wait for a review about the new Kindle DX 2. If it comes out good, I might get it.
    I really need an ereader.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    The problem is the monthly data plan is really expensive and it comes with 2 year contract.
    I might wait for a review about the new Kindle DX 2. If it comes out good, I might get it.
    I really need an ereader.

not to mention it'll have terrible battery life, a tiny screen, and it'll be harder on the eyes. The only other device i'd consider reading on is the iPad. I have a netbook however again with the battery life. Its unlikely that i'd be able to take a netbook on a flight and read a book while listening to music for an entire cross country trip.

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm considering getting the 6" DX. I'm not sure if the extra 3.6" is worth another $200.

And about the smart phone, it really isn't worth being 'that guy' with a phone pressed against your screen for the whole 5 hours your constant use battery life gives you.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    if i zoom in past medium while viewing a PDF the graphs and tables start to breakup, but reading it on small isn't a problem for me. I havn't tried the epub format yet.
    I just bought the DX2 graphite, and now I have to wait a week because I chose the free S/H.
    I can't wait for that Kindle to arrive here, and put all my pdf IT studies.
    Studying:
    Reading: