Options

Need help deciding what to do next?

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got my MCSA last week and now I'm trying to figure out my next step. I had originally planned on finishing the MCSE next, but now I'm also considering MCITP:EA and CCNA. Ideally, I'd like to get all of them eventually, but for now I just need to plan my next move. I'm currently unemployed and am really trying to use this down time to beef up my skills. I've done desktop support related work for the last 3 years, but my aim is to find a full-time Jr. SysAdmin position next. I'm wondering if I should postpone the MCSE and work on the CCNA next to round out my networking skills? Or should I upgrade directly to the Server 2008 stuff from here and skip the MCSE all together? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    smg1138 wrote: »
    I just got my MCSA last week and now I'm trying to figure out my next step. I had originally planned on finishing the MCSE next, but now I'm also considering MCITP:EA and CCNA. Ideally, I'd like to get all of them eventually, but for now I just need to plan my next move. I'm currently unemployed and am really trying to use this down time to beef up my skills. I've done desktop support related work for the last 3 years, but my aim is to find a full-time Jr. SysAdmin position next. I'm wondering if I should postpone the MCSE and work on the CCNA next to round out my networking skills? Or should I upgrade directly to the Server 2008 stuff from here and skip the MCSE all together? Any input would be appreciated.

The MCSA is nothing to thumb your nose at. I would be looking for employment next. That's just me personally.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    If you get the CCNA, you'll be less likely to go "it's the network" at any problem you don't understand. In my experience too many server admins blame the network when the network is doing nothing different, and it turns out to be them.

The CCNA means you have a better understanding of it all, and also means you are more well rounded in terms of what you can apply yourself to.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    stuh84 wrote: »
    If you get the CCNA, you'll be less likely to go "it's the network" at any problem you don't understand. In my experience too many server admins blame the network when the network is doing nothing different, and it turns out to be them.

The CCNA means you have a better understanding of it all, and also means you are more well rounded in terms of what you can apply yourself to.

Very true! My analogy is that Cisco is the highway and Microsoft is the sites along the highway. They complement each other well, and I hope employers will see that.