Best CCNA book?

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
What's considered the best overall book for studying CCNA? I'm guessing it's Cisco Press, but I just wanted to get a consensus.

Comments

• smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never mind, I just saw the sticky. Sorry about that.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    smg1138 wrote: »
    What's considered the best overall book for studying CCNA? I'm guessing it's Cisco Press, but I just wanted to get a consensus.

Fortunately there's only two books with a real shot at being called the best. But you'll never get a consensus any more than you will on the age old emacs vs. vi debate. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Fortunately there's only two books with a real shot at being called the best. But you'll never get a consensus any more than you will on the age old emacs vs. vi debate. icon_mrgreen.gif

Emacs vs. VI

HAHAHA... I love it... I was just arguing this with a coworker of mine for no good reason! icon_lol.gif

...Classic

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    nano is better than both... just sayin...
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say it depends on your experince.

if you work with cisco kit and have a bit of network experince I would say the CCNA cert guide is plenty..

If not then the foundation study guide which is more in depth.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    nano is better than both... just sayin...

icon_neutral.gif

Of course you know this means war!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: (Exam 640-802)
    by Todd Lammle
    ISBN-13: 9780470110089
    Pub. Date: 09/04/2007
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I found that the Todd Lammle book is a much easier read, but the Odem book goes into more detail, It's really just personal preference.

I personally find the Cisco Press book too dry, and a very hard read. Others prefer these to the Lammle book.

It's an impossible question really. It's like asking someone "which tastes better, beef or lamb?". icon_wink.gif
    Is it just me, or does try2pingit's post sound a bit ad like? I've been seeing a few posts like that on various forums and facebook groups and it's got me wondering. :)
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree; especially since it's his only post :)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it just me
    No -- it's just you and bermovick.
    I've been seeing a few posts like that on various forums and facebook groups and it's got me wondering
    Then use the report function and alert the Moderator(s)/Admin(s) -- and be sure to include the some of those URLs. I don't see anything wrong with the post or user.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Is this the most recent ICND2 text? I hope so for I purchased it Friday.

CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 2nd Edition

Yes, thats the most recent.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Yes, thats the most recent.

Thanks!
    And for everyone else, it bears repeating again. Each of Odom's books are currently Second Edition, but when you buy them both as a set, its the Third Edition.
  • try2pingittry2pingit Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it just me, or does try2pingit's post sound a bit ad like? I've been seeing a few posts like that on various forums and facebook groups and it's got me wondering. :)

Yes and I will not share my commission with you icon_wink.gif...just kidding. No intention to advertise, that's just not my 'thing'. Best CCNA book? again...Todd Lammle's book. I'm afraid Bam-Bam and Pebbles will not help you on the exam. I'm definitely for using both resources, to learn from different experiences and perspectives on the CCNA world.
    --WGU BSIT Transcript Evaluation for June '11--
    Transferred In: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, INC1,
    INT1, IWT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1, LET1, WFV1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, TSV1
    Required: EWB2, ORC1, BOV1, KET1, KFT1, TPV1, WDV1, WSV1
    ==================
    >> Applied to Polytechnic Institute of NYU: M.S. CyberSecurity & M.S. Telecommunications Networks for fall '11.
    (I'm willing to go the CyberSecurity route if I get the DoD IA Scholarship, if not I'll do Networks)