Options

How hard is the Linux+ for a daily Linux user?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278

I've been using Linux for over 10 years, but don't know ever detail they might ask on the test? How much would I have to study for this?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been studying and using Linux a little over the past few months just to learn Linux and to get used to the CLI.
    It really depends on HOW you've been using it. Have you just been using it like the casual user or have you used a lot of cli and gotten into studying different flavors. I know of a lot of people who USE Linux but they would have as much difficulty taking the Linux+ as a casual user of Windows 7 would have taking the 70-680.
    I still consider myself a Linux newb but I've been studying it in order to at least have the knowledge eventually to take the Linux+ by going from the exam objectives. Download the objectives and read through them, that's the best measure of how prepared you might be.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    I use it at work, and more so the CLI as opposed to the GUI, my experience is mainly limited to the RedHat type distros.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check on the Comptia website for more info on the Linux+ CompTIA Linux+ and download the objectives
    Download Exam Objectives since your experience is with one particular distro but heavy on cli you would probably just need to explore a couple other distros and study the diffrences. You may even want to skip the Linux+ and study for the RHCE since you have so much experience with Redhat distros. You might want to check out the section of the forum
    LPI, RHCE, and SAIR - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    Check on the Comptia website for more info on the Linux+ CompTIA Linux+ and download the objectives
    Download Exam Objectives since your experience is with one particular distro but heavy on cli you would probably just need to explore a couple other distros and study the differences. You may even want to skip the Linux+ and study for the RHCE since you have so much experience with Redhat destroys. You might want to check out the section of the forum
    LPI, RHCE, and SAIR - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

+1

@abefroman

This is the second thread in a few minutes I've seen you ask 'how hard is this exam'.

For this and any exam, you need to know the objectives, period.

If you understand the objectives, pick up a text or two, do some light review and take the exam. All the CompTIA exams are geared toward candidates WITH experience, so the more experience you have and the more diverse that experience is, the likelihood of you doing your best with only a review is pretty good.

If you don't use the material or are just completely inept, then you'll likely struggle with the exam and such plan a serious amount of study to prepare.

Nothing in the CompTIA catalogue of exams is exteremly difficult (for candidates with experience in the respective exam), so pick up some texts, sybex is generally a good text for most of the CompTIA exams, and review the material...you have to judge for yourself if it will be 'easy' or 'difficult'

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    abefroman wrote: »

I've been using Linux for over 10 years, but don't know ever detail they might ask on the test? How much would I have to study for this?
    It really doesn't matter how long you used Linux, what matters is what level you used linux on. I used Linux for years but it was all about consuming content with forays into VoIP in a mixed Lin-Win home network. I still had to study and practice before taking the two LPI exams.
    Fortunately, exam objectives are pretty precise so you know what to focus on when preparing for the exam.
    Unfortunately, there's no single reliant self- study kit that you buy, study, practice and take the exam. There are two guide books from Sybex and Jang that sincerely, don't cut it. The Ros Brunsons Exam Cram book on LPIC-1 is supposed to hit the shelves any day now, so maybe that will alleviate the lack of prep material.
    Anyhow, check the LPI part of this forum. Linux+ and LPI are now working together so materials for LPIC-1 prep should be sufficient for L+ as well. Make sure you visit the sticky with the online resources, that I think is absolutely essential.