Options

Which to tackle first?

rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
2lazybutsmart (and anyone else who has at least taken one of the two core SQL exams),

It looks to be simple, 70-228, then 70-229, but then I saw that you had already taken and passed 229, and were still studying for 228. What was it about the 229 objectives that made you choose to take that exam first?

I currently feel pretty good about my SQL Server 2000 knowledge and experience, and just recently thought about trying to achieve MCDBA as a means to fill in holes that I'm sure I have, and get more practice at setting up SQL Server, rather than just modifying, manipulating, or coding stored procs for existing databases. I know I could get better at T-SQL as well.

I signed up for some classes at my local community college and bought some books, so I'm off... well kind of...

Any feedback would be great.

Take Care,
Rcoop
Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think it's easier to put it this way: which one you'll most likely want to tackle first will depend on the 'other' things you're currently pursuing, or doing for that matter.

In simpler terms, I took 229 when I did my MCSD. Technically speaking, you wouldn't be doing a lot of admin'ing and programming at the same time. So they kind of go hand in hand. I'm sure you know that 229 is more of the 'design' and implementation of databases, while 228 is the admin part of it. On the other hand, I think doing 228 and then 229 is like going back to get hold of the basics when you've already gone through the other things.

It's been a very long time since I took this exam and I frankly haven't had the chance to take the rest of the exams for the MCDBA. But I hope I will very soon.

Hope that helps,
    2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    It does. Thanks for the reply.
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    txmailtxmail Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im not sure where I got confused there but do you recommend 228 or 229 forst?

It is too late for me as I am months into 229 but feel that I had to have missed someting to jump into this so quickly. It is mostly design but I have been 100% PHP and MySQL which only involves the SQL statements, I have never had the "fancy" GUI's for managing the server, just a prompt or passing commands through PHP so this is somewhat all new to me besides the SQL code.

I am traing at a technical school (have not had a good experience) and feel that they were not really sure which one to start me out on once they recommended the exam.

Thanks for your reply!
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I recommend you take 229 first as it lays down the foundation upon which you will build all other scpects related to SQL Sever. However, your choice will always depend on what you are currently doing, as I said before. This means that if you were doing network admin for instance, you'd want something that can help you out on your admin'ing and that's where 228 would come in.

What are you currently doing? And what methods are you using to study?

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.