Options

How hard is the A+ if I already have Network+ and Security+?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278

I took the other 2 first because they are more interesting to me.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hard is a relative term. As easy as people may make it sound given the fact that you took the third and second tiers of the cake, I wouldn't underestimate it. It is definitely possible to fail the A+ even with the other certs. Make sure to read the objectives and know them fluently and you'll be okay.

The A+ topics are used to build up to the Net+ and Sec+ but is completely different in terms of most of its content.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I don't think it's really a question of how hard. It's just a totally differnet set of material. It will really depend on how much experience you have with PC hardware.

I took the A+ after working in a PC repair shop for several years and it wasn't bad at all. I just had to brush up on all the technical details they want you to memorize.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    abefroman wrote: »

I took the other 2 first because they are more interesting to me.

Someone else just aske this question a few days earlier:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/55598-so-realistically.html

Difficulty is relative.

If you are not interested in the A+, why are you bothering to take the exams? If they are not needed for your IT track, skip it and focus on the exams that directly benefit your career.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Someone else just aske this question a few days earlier:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/55598-so-realistically.html

Difficulty is relative.

If you are not interested in the A+, why are you bothering to take the exams? If they are not needed for your IT track, skip it and focus on the exams that directly benefit your career.

I am interested in the A+, I just happen to have more interest in Security and Networking.

I have actually built/repaired over 500 computers/servers, everything from desktops, to mega huge raid servers, to servers to be load balanced.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    with that experience and already passing the Net+ and Sec+, you should be well on your way to the A+. It is a good cert to have on your resume and has wide name recognition. I would look through the objectives for the exams and go over anything you need to brush up on. I found the A+ to be a lot of terminology and somewhat of an exercise in memory retention. I took mine in 2007, so I am not sure how it has changed for 2009.

Good Luck!